Author Topic: Combat, and Alpha plans.  (Read 9587 times)

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
Re: Combat, and Alpha plans.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:03 am »
Yeah, even if you guys do the earlier release I think I will also wait the week for the UI. I expect much of my input to be about the UI as that has always been where Arcen has taken the most criticism and I think it deserves a lot of focus this time around.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 11:08:20 am »
To be honest, Combat was the sole aspect of what you shared of TLF's design that I was not completely sold on. So count me even more intrigued now that you announced a major and exciting rework :D.

Me too, to be honest.  ;D

Regarding a possible first alpha step using a more rough build I would be willing to help as well. I would be okay with chiming in along with the rest using a more stable build as well, though.

Just make your call on where you think you can make the best use of me ;).

Sounds good!  We'll see how many people we have interested in the earlier batch, and go from there in terms of whether we put folks who want to be in either batch into the first batch (to fill out numbers) or the later batch (to get better first impressions).

I'm ready to go whenever, but only if you want me to attempt to break/exploit the game systems. If you know those are already broken, then there would be no point.

Totally down with that -- that's exactly why we'd be running the earlier batch, if we do it.  Thanks!

Based on this, it sounds like waiting for the later date would be a better idea for me. Initial impressions of the UI are pretty valuable and I can only get those once, so getting them when the UI is known to be not-done is something of a waste.

Perfect to know, thanks.  And honestly having people sort themselves into those categories is really valuable to us, because we do need to have multiple batches (more than just two, actually -- even after the first batch with the solid GUI, there will need to be multiple batches like usual so that we can incorporate early-adopter feedback and then try again with new first impressions from successive batches).

Yeah, even if you guys do the earlier release I think I will also wait the week for the UI. I expect much of my input to be about the UI as that has always been where Arcen has taken the most criticism and I think it deserves a lot of focus this time around.

Yup, makes sense!  I think we are doing a really much more solid job here than ever before, but feedback is still going to be instrumental for this to be as good as it can get.  We're really taking a completely new approach to the GUI in this game, so looking at screenshots with these GUIs I don't think anyone would immediately go "oh that looks like an Arcen game."  Tidalis is actually that way, too, where it uses a completely different premise for the GUI rather than boxy windows plus buttons with text or graphics.  Some menus aside, there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 05:11:14 pm »
Don't know if you could use me in one of your batches of testers, but thought i would ask if you do, then just let me know. Thank you and everything sounds like it is really looking good!  :)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 06:29:50 pm »
Don't know if you could use me in one of your batches of testers, but thought i would ask if you do, then just let me know. Thank you and everything sounds like it is really looking good!  :)

You should sign up in the other thread.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »
She actually signed up a long time ago.

You're on the list Teal

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:50:26 pm »
Thanks Cyborg and Tigersfan!!   :)  Appreciate it.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 09:27:28 am »

No problem, but, I would like to know what rounds you'd prefer, if possible.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »

No problem, but, I would like to know what rounds you'd prefer, if possible.

Whenever you think is best, anytime is good for me, just depends on when you think i can be of the best use.
Thanks! 

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 12:57:59 am »
Ooh I would definitely be interested in testing TLF out either in "raw" form or more polished form.

Tigersfan: Am I on the list I wonder?

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 05:30:35 am »
Ooh I would definitely be interested in testing TLF out either in "raw" form or more polished form.

Tigersfan: Am I on the list I wonder?
You are now.

Offline Apathetic

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:52 am »
Sounds like things are moving an interesting direction.  Personally, I'd rather see everything fit than it rushed out the door.

As for testing, I'm able to help with any step in the process.  My sense of aesthetics is lacking, so bad GUIs don't bother me if it's functional.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk