Author Topic: Alpha .702 now out!  (Read 8117 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Alpha .702 now out!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 11:02:41 am »
The changes here are very nontrivial, and involve some stuff at the solar map level (to set up the scenarios in which you will be participating now), as well as to the actual scenarios themselves.  I hope that we'll be able to have something for you to play this week, but it's going to be a really big undertaking for us to get this next batch of combat stuff ready for you.  I think you'll really like what you see, though, based on all the feedback we've had so far.
No worries! I did by no means intend to create the impression that I am getting tired of waiting (I don't). I just love the patience card running gag too much to let this one pass :D. So take all the time you need. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:33 am »
Oh, I know. :)  I just wanted to give an update on the timeframe while I was at it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:02 am »
Oh, I know. :)  I just wanted to give an update on the timeframe while I was at it.
It is appreciated, thank you :).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 02:24:42 pm »
The little-known starsector has a very compelling real-time ship piloting system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di8qSM0TVdA
That looks like fun. They also have some of my money now. (No idea when I'm actually going to play it, though. What little gaming time I currently have is almost entirely devoted to TLF.)

I purchased Starsector because of this thread. It actually reminds me of what I would like fraxy to be if it was a full game, I only wish I could change the controls.

And Drox, but I ended up hating the rubber-band grind after 2 nights of binging - just not worth it. Well, it actually failed me because of the Diplomatic AI. The alliances have no meaning because:
- I can't ask them to do anything despite being their 'saviour',
- No way of informing either partner of invasion plans so as to coordinate,
- having to lie to them (rumours) to get anywhere,
- etc., etc. contributing to the lack of meaningful interaction replaced by endless spam.

It's not the same with TLF because the Hydral has not the same magnitude Hero/Villain influence/reputation as an Operative. However, if the living simulation makes a brain-dead AI impression, I'm not so certain it will go down so well. Chris is still waiting for Pandora to polish off their diplomatic AI (It's coming! Slowly!).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:26:29 pm by zharmad »

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 08:46:43 am »
I purchased Starsector because of this thread. It actually reminds me of what I would like fraxy to be if it was a full game, I only wish I could change the controls.

I hope you are enjoying it. It really scratches the piloting itch. And you can change the controls; do what I do and use glovepie. I even gave myself an autofire ability.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline jerith

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:35 pm »
The little-known starsector has a very compelling real-time ship piloting system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di8qSM0TVdA
That looks like fun. They also have some of my money now. (No idea when I'm actually going to play it, though. What little gaming time I currently have is almost entirely devoted to TLF.)

Well, I found some time while Chris and Keith are retooling combat and breaking everyone's saves. :-)

I think starsector has a lot of potential, but it needs a lot more content and gameplay before I'd recommend it to anyone. That's standard for an unfinished alpha, of course, but since there seems to be one person working on it part time, it'll be a while before that situation changes. (That said, it's already given me more hours of fun per dollar spent than the XCOM remake I bought on a Steam sale a while back. AI War still has the highest hours of fun per dollar rate of any game I've ever bought and I still feel like I've hardly even scratched the surface.)

The only real objection I have to starsector is that the different parts of the game have conflicting interaction mechanisms for doing the same things. For example, on the solar system map you left click to give a move order but in combat you right click. I can never completely get into a game if I have to keep thinking about the controls. Arcen really gets this right, even when the controls are quite complex.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 02:51:20 am »
 To me, that one single guy evidently has no comprehensive design document for the game. I played Moonpod's Starscape, which is about the right scope for two devs, and this is... much bigger. Even Dust: Elysian had a lot of luck in finding the right people to help out the other bits that the main guy couldn't do.

The person needs a musician and a writer to construct a proper campaign. The universe is there, and it just needs filling with interesting things. Still enjoyable though.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:16:43 am by zharmad »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk