Author Topic: Unable to launch game in current version  (Read 5279 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Unable to launch game in current version
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 02:42:27 pm »
I... absolutely am at a loss, I'm sorry.  One way or another, there has to be something else on your machine that's conflicting with this, presuming you did a verification of the local steam files and it worked.  Right now you're the only report of this not working that wasn't resolvable with some sort of general compatibility-with-unity-and-other-plugins thing that we found via google-fu, and I'm not really sure what to think about that. 

Maybe it's a permissions issue; you should definitely make sure that you have full permissions to the folder that the game is in.  I'm really reaching there, though.  Beyond that all I can think of are things that hook into unity, virus software, and so on.  You might get some mileage from specific command line arguments: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

Most specifically:

-adapter N (Windows only)   Allows the game to run full-screen on another display. The N maps to a Direct3D display adaptor. In most cases there is a one-to-one relationship between adapters and video cards. On cards that support multi-head (they can drive multiple monitors from a single card) each “head” may be its own adapter.
-- From Chris: This would help if it's trying to launch on some strange display for some reason, if you have one that's sometimes hooked up but not now, for instance.

-force-d3d9 (Windows only)   Make the game use Direct3D 9 for rendering. Normally the graphics API depends on player settings (typically defaults to D3D11).
-- From Chris: This would help if it's trying to launch via opengl or something for some reason, and failing for some strange reason.

-force-d3d9-ref (Windows only)   Make the game run using Direct3D’s “Reference” software renderer. The DirectX SDK has to be installed for this to work. This is mostly useful for building automated test suites, where you want to ensure rendering is exactly the same no matter what graphics card is being used.
-- From Chris: this seems like overkill to me, but could work.

-force-d3d11 (Windows only)   Make the game use Direct3D 11 for rendering.
-- From Chris: I'm not even sure if this will work, because we have this set up for DX9 only.  But you might be able to get some interesting results with this, I don't know.  Maybe DX9 is messed up on your machine somehow.

-force-glcore (Windows only)   Make the editor use OpenGL core profile for rendering. The editor tries to use on the best OpenGL version available and all OpenGL extensions exposed by the OpenGL drivers. If the platform isn’t supported, Direct3D is used.
-- From Chris: This also gets into odd territory, but would use opengl instead of directx.  On windows this probably means worse performance, although it's what we use on osx and linux.  It's worth a shot, though.

-force-glcoreXY (Windows only)   Similar to -force-glcore but request a specific OpenGL context version. Accepted values for XY: 32, 33, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 or 45.
-- From Chris: I can't imagine you'd want to do this, but who knows.

-force-clamped (Windows only)   Used together with -force-glcoreXY, but it prevents checking for additional OpenGL extensions allowing to run between platforms with the same code paths
-- From Chris: I honestly am not even sure what this is.

-screen-fullscreen   Overrides the default fullscreen state. This must be 0 or 1.
-- From Chris: This MIGHT help in terms of forcing windowed mode.

Those are all the ones that I can see that really seem like they would be useful, although a lot of those are really a stretch.  I hope one of them helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »
From a low-tech (all my tools are hammers) approach.
Did you try disabling the Steam Syncing?
Did you try deleting the settings.dat and settings.bak files?
Did you try uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling?
Did you try unplugging all extra monitors and then the above?

In my case, something in the graphic card driver settings became glitched, and it was easier to start over, then try to get access to what may have changed. You might have the same experience. Once I got it working on my single display, I was able go back to the multimonitor setup without any problems at all.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 10:40:01 pm »
It happened to me again under the same circumstances and was solved using the same solution as last time. Whatever it is, it is consistent.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 01:09:09 pm »
It still happens under the same circumstances and resolution. However, I did finally get an error message.

Switching to resolution 142x0 failed, trying lower one
All resolution switches have failed
Screen: could not switch resolution (142x0 fs=0 hz=57941376)

Offline illarion

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 09:40:36 pm »
I bought Starward Rogue yesterday.  It ran once - I played through the tutorial - then when I ran it again I seem to have the same problem as described by the OP.

I've tried deleting the settings.dat+bak files, to no effect.  I've tried completely deleting the game from Steam and reinstalling, to no effect.  Closing Steam and running it directly from its own folder had no effect.

Probably worth noting that, like the OP, I have a three monitor setup (though really, who doesn't have multiple monitors these days?)

I'm working my way through the other suggestions in this thread, will let y'all know if I make any progress - and would very much like to hear if anyone else does.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »
(though really, who doesn't have multiple monitors these days?)

Me? 
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 10:29:24 pm »
(though really, who doesn't have multiple monitors these days?)

And me?

Offline illarion

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 07:07:49 pm »
Some more testing:

-adapter N (Windows only)   Allows the game to run full-screen on another display. The N maps to a Direct3D display adaptor. In most cases there is a one-to-one relationship between adapters and video cards. On cards that support multi-head (they can drive multiple monitors from a single card) each “head” may be its own adapter.
-- From Chris: This would help if it's trying to launch on some strange display for some reason, if you have one that's sometimes hooked up but not now, for instance.
-adapter 1 "works", in that the game actually starts - however it's on my third, portrait display.  With -adapter 2 and -adapter 3, which I would expect to be my two main displays, I get the usual result.

-force-d3d9 (Windows only)   Make the game use Direct3D 9 for rendering. Normally the graphics API depends on player settings (typically defaults to D3D11).
-- From Chris: This would help if it's trying to launch via opengl or something for some reason, and failing for some strange reason.
No difference.

-force-d3d9-ref (Windows only)   Make the game run using Direct3D’s “Reference” software renderer. The DirectX SDK has to be installed for this to work. This is mostly useful for building automated test suites, where you want to ensure rendering is exactly the same no matter what graphics card is being used.
-- From Chris: this seems like overkill to me, but could work.
No difference

-force-d3d11 (Windows only)   Make the game use Direct3D 11 for rendering.
-- From Chris: I'm not even sure if this will work, because we have this set up for DX9 only.  But you might be able to get some interesting results with this, I don't know.  Maybe DX9 is messed up on your machine somehow.
Weirdness.  My main display has a solid magenta rectangle displayed, and music starts playing.

-force-glcore (Windows only)   Make the editor use OpenGL core profile for rendering. The editor tries to use on the best OpenGL version available and all OpenGL extensions exposed by the OpenGL drivers. If the platform isn’t supported, Direct3D is used.
-- From Chris: This also gets into odd territory, but would use opengl instead of directx.  On windows this probably means worse performance, although it's what we use on osx and linux.  It's worth a shot, though.
Crashes without starting game, error message attached.

-screen-fullscreen   Overrides the default fullscreen state. This must be 0 or 1.
-- From Chris: This MIGHT help in terms of forcing windowed mode.
Game doesn't start, with either 0 or 1 set.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 11:08:55 am »
Pepisolo was noting that one user here was able to work around it temporarily by disabling the secondary monitors: http://steamcommunity.com/app/410820/discussions/0/405692758721564879/

I'm not sure why that would have an effect with this in windowed mode in particular (if you're in windowed mode, the screen resolution should not matter whatsoever).  Something very strange is going on there.  For the record I'm on windows 10 with four monitors at three different screen resolutions between them.  Two running off my nvidia card, two running off of usb virtual gpus.  Before that I had a setup on windows 7 with three monitors off of one nvidia gpu, in two resolutions.  Never been able to duplicate any such problems.

For reference, I'm currently using driver version 10.18.13.6143 from 12/16/2015. 

(Mostly completely unrelated)  We found that in later version of Maya, there were some super strange bugs with new versions of the nvidia drivers that make bones impossible to edit, so we had to revert from newer ones.  It's entirely possible there are some other bugs in the latest nvidia drivers causing issues outside of that, I don't know.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline illarion

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 10:07:16 pm »
OK, by dint of forcing it to start on the portrait monitor (-adapter 1), I can then get at the settings, and forcing it into windowed mode then works on the main monitor.

Windowed mode isn't ideal, but, well, at least I can play the game! :)

I will keep poking as and when I get a chance, see if I can figure out anything further.

Thanks all for the assistance!

EDIT:  Oh, in light of that Steam thread, I should mention that my monitors are also in different resolutions - two are 1920x1080, the third is 1200x1920.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:10:16 pm by illarion »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:42 am »
Well, I'm glad that you got it working at least!  Goodness, sorry about all the trouble.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk