Author Topic: The SR Let's Play thread  (Read 45173 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: The SR Let's Play thread
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 10:21:35 am »
Crystal Mother. There's only one "mother" in the game ;)

Player: "Where's my chicken?"
SUC-U-BUS: "WITH MOTHER" (Suc-U-Bus are mechanical monkey shaped pneumatic delivery tube network, and also sentient robots for some reason)
Player: "Where's Mother?"
SUC-U-BUS: "IN THE BASEMENT.  WHERE'S YOURS?"

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 11:59:38 am »
About the [missile] launchers...

There are a couple of places this was discussed. You can check out the original [redacted] near the bottom with [redacted] list of [redacted]. There are also several [redacted] just [redacted] for [redacted]. We could [redacted] the [redacted] since we are [redacted].
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 01:12:31 pm »
WZ's 51st and 51bst videos are up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaeUVsPOSk4

A few notes:
  • The lasers were red.
  • The video rendering was a bit glitched.
  • Grenade launcher AOE reacts poorly when it comes to waking up sleeping enemies. Technically correct, but unsatisfying from the WZ perspective.
  • WZ has no love for charge weapons. I think we are removing them from activity duty (along with melee weapons) in the next balance update.
  • Blue Mech (I think) has x2 max energy changes (both positive and negative). I believe we swapped that for just a straight +100 to starting energy. However, the more I think about it, the more I like the double energy change mechanics. Thoughts about reverting it and changing the description or leaving it with the +100.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline windlesszephyr

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »
The video rendering was a bit glitched.
Sorry about that. I have no idea what happened, but I'll make sure to triple check everything in the future.

The lasers were red.
Bah. >:/

Grenade launcher AOE reacts poorly when it comes to waking up sleeping enemies. Technically correct, but unsatisfying from the WZ perspective.
It just worries me that it'd be possible in that scenario to have no energy or missiles to wake up the enemy. Softlocking is no fun after all.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 04:24:42 pm »
They should also wake on proximity to the player. Looking at the enemies, the waiting widow has a wake range of 200, which is about 3.5 tiles. Probably can be increased to 500 safely. Same for the Krill Spitters.

The friendly fire of player weapons is also a touchy issue. Part of the reasoning behind them is by allowing the weapons to be "dangerous" to the player, you balance them to have higher damage to enemies. However, none of those effects seem to be working satisfactorily. I know that CODE: ANNHILATE was making you unhappy when it did damage to you, although it should have only done 1 damage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:18:09 pm by ptarth »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 06:25:05 pm »
I have a little bit of a distaste for self-damaging weapons overall, but I downright hate them with a flaming passion in high speed bullet hell-type games.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2016, 11:02:44 am »
    • WZ has no love for charge weapons. I think we are removing them from activity duty (along with melee weapons) in the next balance update.

I'm a bit worried now. Are you really removing all those weapons too?

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
    • Core Member Mark V
    « Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 11:14:27 am »
    More along the lines of "disabled until the charge mechanic can be properly explained/displayed, which might be never."  I think one or two might remain and just get rebalanced.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
    • Master Member Mark II
    « Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
    I'm a bit worried now. Are you really removing all those weapons too?

Yeah, for the time being. The current charge system is quite bad, I think. The weapons themselves are also quite poor. The list of current charge weps are Spine Ballista, Pressure Shotgun, Combobreaker, and Kunai. Spine Ballista might be reworked into a regular wep, but the other 3 weapons will be removed, I think. The good news is that we do have some weapons ready to replace these, though: Warhog's Shotgun, Plasma Shotgun, Interceptor Crossbow, Stomper,  Solar Flaregun, and the Burstomatic. Plus the two new sacrifice room weapons, Scourge Spread and the Blood Avenger. Charge weapons will be back if we can improve the current charge system.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 07:06:49 pm »
    Although I'll miss the Kunai, I'm definitely looking forward to finding all those new weapons. Thanks for the detailed answer. :)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
    • Master Member Mark II
    « Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »
    Although I'll miss the Kunai, I'm definitely looking forward to finding all those new weapons. Thanks for the detailed answer. :)

Kunai might be back if the charge system gets revamped. The code will stay in the game, though, so if you really still want to use it you can set is_not_ready_to_seed in the xml to False and you'll still be able to play with it, if you want.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
    • Crosshatch Conqueror
    « Reply #41 on: July 10, 2016, 11:34:35 am »
    yeah I personally really like the kunai too. It's the only charge weapon that's actually been helpful to me so far.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
    • Core Member Mark V
    « Reply #42 on: July 10, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »
    I have a little bit of a distaste for self-damaging weapons overall, but I downright hate them with a flaming passion in high speed bullet hell-type games.

This I can understand, but don't forget, this isn't a pure bullet-hell game.  It's core design is that of an Isaac-ish game, after all.  Originally, the bullet-hell aspect of the game wasn't going to be so.... prominent.  But I'm not too good at traditional-style patterns, so instead, bullets everywhere, though the core of the game didn't really change from what it started as.   Some of these things, I think, come from that.  In that context, they can still work well, but the tough part is balancing them properly.

I cant think of that many damaging effects in the game aside from the Grenade Launcher though;  considering how very few things of this nature there are, the game can probably do without them, rather than having the occaisional one confuse the player.  Besides, theoretically they're dying enough as it is from everything else.  I can always make it worse if that's not the case.

Anyway, yes, as mentioned above, the charge weapons are bloody awful, so if those are removed, that'd be a good thing, I think, they'd just get replaced by things that aren't terrible.

Wether or not it'll fully work out that way, I've no idea.  Not my fault this time though, hah!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
    • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
    « Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 03:08:58 am »
    Charge weapons are cool and do mix it up a bit, but considering you generally need to keep firing your main weapon, and your energy weapon is a backup "Oh sheit!" kind of weapon, having to wait for a charge up is just counterproductive.
    Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
    • Master Member Mark II
    « Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »
    Windless Zephyr live checking out the new Starward Rogue update on Twitch....now!

https://www.twitch.tv/windlesszephyr

Super laggy for me, so I can't really watch, though.....bah!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk