Author Topic: The SR Let's Play thread  (Read 45481 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: The SR Let's Play thread
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:55 pm »
I'm just sitting down to watch this. Another run by Ethervil, this time focusing on another one of Logo's mod mechs, Crimson Moon. I haven't checked this mech out, yet, actually, I don't think. Should be interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLYgeBLsBo

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2018, 08:09:40 pm »
An AuGMENTED run by Ethervil:

https://youtu.be/_JJYN2YCI1Q

Featuring a gold floor! This was an entertaining run. Ethervil feels that the Warhog isn't tanky enough, though. Should we give it an extra 2 starting HP? The White Gloss does have more HP than it, which kind of seems a bit weird for a super tank, although the Warhog has the armor plating, of course.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2018, 09:51:42 pm »
Ethervil feels that the Warhog isn't tanky enough, though. Should we give it an extra 2 starting HP? The White Gloss does have more HP than it, which kind of seems a bit weird for a super tank, although the Warhog has the armor plating, of course.
Hm, I'm not sure. Warhog already has as much starting health as White Gloss, whose only special trait is high HP. He may not have a shield, but with the armor he can take more hits by default. Already sounds pretty tanky to me. :P

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2018, 03:39:48 am »
Something I noticed while watching Ethervil's video that I hadn't really caught before, the Warthog has a level-up perk early on that it cant really use.  The one that has a chance of restoring a shield.  Should probably be replaced with something else.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:25 am »
Something I noticed while watching Ethervil's video that I hadn't really caught before, the Warthog has a level-up perk early on that it cant really use.  The one that has a chance of restoring a shield.  Should probably be replaced with something else.

I could easily be wrong on this but I think that perk actually still works even if you don't have any shields. I believe you can get a temporary shield using it...maybe!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2018, 12:54:56 pm »
Here's another one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQ3Xt3Gr70&t=1226s

Side note:  I'm going to have to fix a number of rooms here... there's one *really* broken one at the end of this guy's second video, and I've run into some others.

In any future room designs, Defensive-type enemies *must* be given a decent amount of space in which to do their thing.  They are not suited for corridors or smaller rooms (their entire function is to clog up the area after all).  That's the main change I'm going to be making as it's that sort which is breaking rooms right now.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2018, 02:01:33 pm »
Side note:  I'm going to have to fix a number of rooms here... there's one *really* broken one at the end of this guy's second video, and I've run into some others.

In any future room designs, Defensive-type enemies *must* be given a decent amount of space in which to do their thing.  They are not suited for corridors or smaller rooms (their entire function is to clog up the area after all).  That's the main change I'm going to be making as it's that sort which is breaking rooms right now.
Darn. My bad. That last room was finely tuned to the existing enemies when it was made, but it seems like the Local AOE team got a new recruit. Depending on its firing arc, taking out a few pipes should do the trick though.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2018, 02:59:53 pm »

Darn. My bad. That last room was finely tuned to the existing enemies when it was made, but it seems like the Local AOE team got a new recruit. Depending on its firing arc, taking out a few pipes should do the trick though.

No worries, that's just an unfortunate part of the process. Room designers can make rooms which work perfectly well, but then a few patches down the line after a bunch of extra enemies get added, the possible combinations can change radically, potentially breaking the design of a well tested room. It's a shame that we don't have a bit more control over enemy seeding, to be able to say "don't seed this enemy in this spot" or something like that, but oh well what can you do.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2018, 01:09:05 pm »
Another run from Ethervil:

https://youtu.be/VJ2jHU0BxXI

An interesting Paladin run, although no gold floors in this video. The next floor will be a gold floor, though. I was a bit worried about watching somebody use the Paladin for the first time, as it's a bit of a tricksy mech to use, but Ethervil seems to have picked up how to use it pretty quickly.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2018, 08:33:20 pm »
Part 2 of Ethervil's Paladin run:

https://youtu.be/zWvzTw8k2a8

I'm really enjoying seeing how Ethervil is playing the Paladin in this run. Using lots of shield bashing, which is also similar to Logo's style of using the Paladin, I think. Although it is slightly scary when someone bashes an enemy as I'm a bit worried about enemies getting knocked back deep into walls. Enemies getting stuck in walls has rarely happened in certain situations, but I haven't seen an enemy getting stuck deep in the walls during testing yet. So....things still seem good...phew! Also, there was some great use of the Meteor Storm consumable near the end of this run.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2018, 04:45:04 pm »
On the note of the paladin, I was wondering:  Is this one maybe a bit too overpowered?

I mean, it can block shots with ease (and more importantly, block a lot of them), the shield can stun things (since you're charging directly at the bullet source, it's safe in most cases, and you'll plow through like a lawnmower), and the main weapon even shoots right through walls.   That's three incredibly powerful effects all as default aspects of one mech.

Now, it's not that having an overpowered mech is necessarily a bad thing.  Makes me think of Azazel in Isaac, who is very definitely OP, but a fairly well-liked aspect of the game.

The question is, do we want that here?  Or should this one be toned down a bit?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2018, 05:52:23 pm »
On the note of the paladin, I was wondering:  Is this one maybe a bit too overpowered?

I mean, it can block shots with ease (and more importantly, block a lot of them), the shield can stun things (since you're charging directly at the bullet source, it's safe in most cases, and you'll plow through like a lawnmower), and the main weapon even shoots right through walls.   That's three incredibly powerful effects all as default aspects of one mech.

Now, it's not that having an overpowered mech is necessarily a bad thing.  Makes me think of Azazel in Isaac, who is very definitely OP, but a fairly well-liked aspect of the game.

The question is, do we want that here?  Or should this one be toned down a bit?

I'm not quite sure yet. As for the Phantom Blade, that should be fairly well balanced. It does go through walls, yeah, but it should also be one of the weakest starting weapons in the game when using it for ranged attacks. The shield stun can be super useful, although it's fairly skill based, and it isn't great on most bosses -- I don't think, anyway. The shape of the shield was changed during one of the last patches, so it's easier to block stuff in front of you with it, so if any aspect could perhaps do with toning down it'd probably be relating to energy usage. Plus, there's the fact that you lose credits every floor with the mech which acts to help balance the power. So...I'm not sure! I'd say that it doesn't look too far off, but the energy usage of the Power Shield might need to be looked at.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:59:24 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2018, 06:27:02 pm »
I personally have a problem with playing Paladin right. The best way seems to be to rush head on with the shield to enemies, stun them, slash with the sword, repeat until everything is dead. Most of the thime you will run out of energy before you can win a long fight. So either you build everything into energy, to last longer or everything into damage, to kill faster, either way, it's a rather painful way to play and has also a high skill ceiling because you can easily mess up.
It basically stands against anything you would normally do in the game and you have constantly remind yourself to use the shield and ram the enemy.

As for the weapon itself. It's basically crap. It's a phaser gun with a lot lower fire rate and really, really easy to miss soemthing, especially on higher difficulties were everything moves so fast. Also does not help against bosses and in rooms it is very situational. The range is also crap, most walls are thick enough to cover most of the range, so enemies have to hug the wall in order to hit them.
The melee damage is better but more risky at hand. And even than the damage is more "average" than "incredibly good". The weapon might be better with some damage and/or fire rate upgrades but I have so many problems with the mech, I never got past floor 2 or3 with it (I think it was 2, were I am stuck).

Last, missile launcher. The shield is important, because the missile launcher is basically useless in blocking boss bullet patterns or big patterns in general. You can only use it in an offensive way, even in farming shards it is crap, because the explosion radius is so smal and the missiles spread out really widely.

Personally I think, this mech requires quite high skill ceiling and I'm one of the persons who thinks, if a mech is technically hard to play, he should also be rewarding. As godlike player, you should get out the most of a mech that is diffcult to play. Kinda like Penumbra and Redshift. They are basically Papermechs, even a watergun can kill them but they have awesome abalities, that make up for the difficulty. Redshift simply stops time, so all shots at you can be easily dodged unless you missstep or loose your patience. Penumbra has his invulnerability powers, that give him multiple chances to escape enemy shots.

And don't misunderstand this, Misery, but your opinion on balance is basically bullshit. You DESIGNED the bosses of the game. You know everything about them. Plus, you have TONS of experience in those games and your skills are godly. No average player can do, what you do. If you find soemthign strong, others migth not, because they don't have the same skill floor as you have. Basically you always have to rely on others in terms of balance because you know only one difficulty: Super hard. This is not meant as an offense, it's just liek it is, I don't think there is anyone here who can do the same as you.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:31 pm »
[...]
Well, my skill level is still far from Misery's and I think the Paladin mech is slightly OP. But his weapons can be tricky to learn so I think it's not too bad. With a few minor tweaks I think it will be just fine.

In other news: The Paladin, berserker style (throw away shield, take a 2nd melee weapon instead), how fun is that?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »
In other news: The Paladin, berserker style (throw away shield, take a 2nd melee weapon instead), how fun is that?

Yep, dual wielding is cool! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk