Author Topic: The SR Let's Play thread  (Read 45176 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: The SR Let's Play thread
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2017, 10:06:28 pm »
What is grazing?
Edit: Also, can I make a LP from the expansion even before it comes out?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2017, 11:06:48 am »
"I mean, it's not REALLY bullet hell.... there's no grazing like in Touhou"
Grazing? I'll show you grazing.

(adds Cow level)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »
What is grazing?

Grazing is the idea of getting really, really close to bullets to produce some sort of effect.  Usually the closer you are to them, the more of an effect you get, up to the point where you're so close they're passing through your character/ship sprite.  The entire Touhou series uses it in various forms, as does games like Danmaku Unlimited and plenty of others.  It's a pretty fun mechanic that's easy to understand and usually satisfying to use. Most of the time, it's use is somehow involved in scoring.  But it sure as heck isn't present in every freaking game.

As for your question about the LP, uhhh.... I don't see why not? 

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2018, 10:24:15 am »
What is grazing?

As for your question about the LP, uhhh.... I don't see why not?

We're starting the proper press push next Tuesday, so waiting until then would be preferred, but it's not a big deal if you make a LP a bit earlier.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 10:32:12 am »
I can wait until then, it's not like I have many viewers. I just do these for fun.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 11:42:09 am »
I can wait until then, it's not like I have many viewers. I just do these for fun.

Cool, thanks! :)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:56 pm »
Oh, feel free to post any AuGMENTED videos you want now Vampire.

Here's a recent review although slightly frustratingly they didn't actually appear to encounter a Gold floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmRm-m9QQY

There are a few bits of AuGMENTED content on display, though.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2018, 09:42:21 pm »
He's sure got one thing right:  Infinite missiles IS totally OP in this.

That's one item you're always glad to find.

And then of course there's those times where you find it, grab it, go into the next room, walk directly into lasers, and immediately lose it.  Or is that just me doing that?

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2018, 11:05:58 pm »
Okay, thank you, will do.

Offline Jason Silverain

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2018, 05:39:36 am »

Here's a recent review although slightly frustratingly they didn't actually appear to encounter a Gold floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmRm-m9QQY

There are a few bits of AuGMENTED content on display, though.

My apologies for not including any Gold Floor content in the video unfortunately I am currently filming whilst in hospital and while I didn't encounter the Gold Floor in my playthrough I had to ditch quite a bit of content due to various things happening here on the ward.
In hindsight I should of played with the developer mode on to ensure I would encounter them.

The video is supported by a more indepth written review here: http://swordandtorchinn.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/starward-rogue-augmented-expansion-mech.html

He's sure got one thing right:  Infinite missiles IS totally OP in this.

That's one item you're always glad to find.

And then of course there's those times where you find it, grab it, go into the next room, walk directly into lasers, and immediately lose it.  Or is that just me doing that?

Not just you, I got it again when it was in a chest surrounded by spikes. No choice but to take the damage to get out again.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2018, 10:27:13 am »
My apologies for not including any Gold Floor content in the video unfortunately I am currently filming whilst in hospital and while I didn't encounter the Gold Floor in my playthrough I had to ditch quite a bit of content due to various things happening here on the ward.
In hindsight I should of played with the developer mode on to ensure I would encounter them.
Many thanks for taking the time to do a review despite the circumstances. I think the team is very eager to show all that new content on the golden floors, but you can never be 100% sure with randomly appearing floors. Anyway, I hope you had plenty of fun with it. :)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2018, 11:46:13 am »

Oh, no worries, that's just an issue with having the gold floors appear randomly, which makes the expansion a little more difficult to show off. Thanks so much for doing the review, especially while you're currently in the hospital. We super appreciate that!

The video is supported by a more indepth written review here: http://swordandtorchinn.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/starward-rogue-augmented-expansion-mech.html

Great review, thanks! All very fair points. As for the story stuff, I do hope to overhaul the story aspect of the game some time this year. Fingers crossed! There are actually 2 main overhauls that I have in mind, those are the Story Overhaul and the Unlock Overhaul, so those negatives you pointed out are spot on, and things which should be improved in the future. Hopefully!

Not just you, I got it again when it was in a chest surrounded by spikes. No choice but to take the damage to get out again.

That was a super unfortunate place for that item to spawn, I don't think I've seen that before.

Many thanks for taking the time to do a review despite the circumstances. I think the team is very eager to show all that new content on the golden floors, but you can never be 100% sure with randomly appearing floors. Anyway, I hope you had plenty of fun with it. :)

Yep, I'm definitely eager to show off the Gold Floor stuff, it's just that with the random nature of how those floors appear it's purely down to luck...perhaps we could've set up the press build to have a guaranteed Gold Floor per run or something like that, I'm not sure.

Offline Jason Silverain

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2018, 01:34:12 pm »

I certainly did, I appreciate the chance to play before the release and in all honesty writing the review felt great to be productive again.
Actually the most difficulty I had was trying to get the video hosted, youtube is blocked by my hospital network so I had to contact a friend and request if I could host it on his channel, the actual sound recording has turned out to some of the best I've had.

Great review, thanks! All very fair points. As for the story stuff, I do hope to overhaul the story aspect of the game some time this year. Fingers crossed! There are actually 2 main overhauls that I have in mind, those are the Story Overhaul and the Unlock Overhaul, so those negatives you pointed out are spot on, and things which should be improved in the future. Hopefully!

As much as your one of my favourite companies out there I was trying to remain objective in any review I make and while I really pushed the point that you had really focused on ensuring good gameplay in the design I just couldn't deny the few minor negatives in the game, but it's this kind of reaction to feedback and desire to continue updating and supporting your content that has really made me respect Arcen as a company.

I really hope that the AI Wars 2 and Augmented are huge success this year so that you have the time and funds for all your projects.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2018, 07:23:39 pm »
As much as your one of my favourite companies out there I was trying to remain objective in any review I make and while I really pushed the point that you had really focused on ensuring good gameplay in the design I just couldn't deny the few minor negatives in the game, but it's this kind of reaction to feedback and desire to continue updating and supporting your content that has really made me respect Arcen as a company.

Yep, the two main negatives you pointed out are also the two main problems I currently have with the game. It was a very fair and accurate review, I think. Addressing both the good and the bad. Yeah, Arcen will always look to keep updating and supporting their products wherever possible. 

I really hope that the AI Wars 2 and Augmented are huge success this year so that you have the time and funds for all your projects.

That's super appreciated, thanks! :) It's definitely going to be an interesting year for Arcen, with at least two products set to launch. AI War 2 should do well...fingers crossed! :D

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2018, 08:54:54 pm »

I read the full review just now.  I appreciate that you wrote that.  And I agree on the negative points of the story and unlocks.  I mean I personally never play games for story, and I haaaate unlocking things in games like these (ugh Isaac, I freaking love Isaac but I hated it's unlock system so much that I skipped it).  But I know why people like those things, and I wish we had them available here for those that like them.

I'm not actually too clear on why we never really had unlocks in here to begin with though.... I'm sure there was a reason, but heck if I remember what it was.  Probably just "development time is too short".   I mean, we had like what, 2 months originally?  Ugh.

Anyway, it's a nice write-up, and it was satisfying to see that you were enjoying the game in the video too.  Watching you tear up the Warden at the end was entertaining also.  I had a test run yesterday where the RNG was being a snotball and my DPS was *terrible*,  bloody Warden (and everything else) took freaking forever to go down.  Like playing Isaac and trying to fight Gurdy when you've found no damage upgrades.

On that note, before I forget, I'm gonna send in an update tomorrow probably.  I fixed those things that fire the green/white doom waves, the Misery mode patterns are NOT supposed to be active/available right now, I'm not sure how that even got in there. Or how they got set to be the normal pattern.   

I've got a few new enemies here, and the hard mode boss patterns ready to go too.  Dunno why it took me so freaking long to even remember that I hadnt set those up yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk