Author Topic: Steam page is up! (If you have something to say after playing, PLEASE review!)  (Read 48754 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
The coming soon page, anyhow, as well as the trading cards. :)

http://store.steampowered.com//app/410820

The trailer is looking awesome from a near-final cut, but it's not done just yet.  That's the last piece of the puzzle for both Steam and Humble.  Other than that, we're all set with both!

Like the title mentions, if you play the game and have things you want to tell other players, please do so.  There's a lot of enthusiasm in here, but this game is known to like nobody outside of these forums for the most part, so having some impressions from you guys, as well as any tips or whatever that you wish to pass along, is helpful.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
FYI, looks like the game can't be reviewed until it's released.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Ah, fair enough.  It will let ME review it, but I'm not the sort to put those "10/10 would develop again" type reviews.  Funny system.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Ah, fair enough.  It will let ME review it, but I'm not the sort to put those "10/10 would develop again" type reviews.  Funny system.

I can totally see a creepy guy at the photo shop saying that after giving you back your 35mm shots.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
/r/differentcontext

Yikes. ;)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
I literally fell out of my chair.   :D
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Just a question, can you actually mod/desin new mechs with the modding language?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I literally fell out of my chair.   :D

;D

Just a question, can you actually mod/desin new mechs with the modding language?

Yes.  The simplest way I can answer this is: every item, enemy, powerup, mech, bullet pattern, particle effect, sound effect, and anything else you interact with is all designed using a really robust xml scripting system.  It's all easy to see and tweak at will, and so on.  What is done in C# is the actual logic behind the huge amounts of xml tags and scripting you can use.

I'm not sure it's possible to make something easier to mod -- we even have it so that your files don't get overwritten by ours, since you can make your own files with things you add for yourself: https://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Starward_Rogue:Main#XML_Documentation

One downside right now: only six slots for mechs, and all are taken.  So it will pull whatever the first six are that it finds.  Later I want to have it so that we can have any number of mechs... but I couldn't think of an intuitive interface that works well with the gamepad and the mouse right yet.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Cool, then I will make the Yellow Mech that you guys totally forgot to make. I just have to fill the gap that is called "knowledge of modding".

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
You need to pick some better screenshots. I think two or three of those screenshots are really good, but the rest are focusing too much on menus or cleared rooms. I admit I don't know much about this gaming community for these games, but don't you want to show your awesome bullet patterns, bosses, and perilous situations?
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Castruccio

I agree.  More boss bullet patterns.  That is what makes the game distinctive.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Yea, reviews can't be posted for a game that hasn't come out yet.

Also, would probably improve the screenshots to be more colorful boss fights. Or even rooms that have some insane amount of enemies. Something to really catch the eye. Not sure I would put menu screens up or at the least would bury them towards the end of the list. Just my thoughts anyway.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Hmm.  If you guys don't mind submitting some screenshots in 1280x720 size, that would certainly be welcome if you don't like those.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Okay, here's my thoughts on the screenshots and such:

1. Showing menus is fine, but dont do many like that, maybe just one or two is enough; some people do like to see what the interface is like but beyond that it makes for a boring presentation.

2. Sure, the bosses probably work

3. When showing rooms, show them full of STUFF.  Like, that room with the spider has... the spider, but not much else.  The entire area to the left is blank.   One thing that I think stands out with this game is the variety of stuff in the rooms, so showing some complicated room layouts would be good.  All them regen blocks and lasers and arrow things and whatever....

4. Definitely take down that Wallmaster one.  It looks like there's no boss in it.

5. You've got miniboss things and a shop in there, that's good... hmm.... some other "special rooms" might be good too, though I'm blanking out on just what (I only just got up, still out of it).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
1280x720.  It makes it hard to show too much in one screen.  Anyway, any help is welcome.  I'm bogged down in other stuff right now, and need to get some sleep in a minute anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk