Author Topic: Stealth 1.503 update  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Logorouge

Stealth 1.503 update
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:36:44 pm »
It might not have been announced yet, but I definitely downloaded quite a few MB for Starward Rogue. So I launched the game to check it out. Two issues quickly jumped at me:

1- The mech descriptions go beyond the UI into the infinity of space and could use some word wrap. (first screenshot attached)
2- The game doesn't like alt-tabbing anymore. (second screenshot below)

Anyway, is the mystery update really 1.503? Should I opt out of the beta in the Steam menu now? I might be slightly confused.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: Stealth 1.503 update
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 06:55:21 pm »
That is indeed 1.503, we were just going to wait to announce it until we had the changelog finished up. But guess the cat is out of the bag. :P
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:00:31 pm »
Heh, I was about to post a comment asking for help in testing this build, but you've already found it!

Basically, what we're doing is pushing one more update to the Beta branch before then pushing the build to Steam. This is unusual, but because we've been working on the expansion alongside this update, there have been a lot of changes and so we can't be super confident of its stability without at least pushing one more test build out. Additionally, Chris has also upgraded the game to a new version of Unity and changed a few things in the engine -- mostly to try and get rid of that virtual crash error. So, yeah, anyone who's on the Beta branch, please help test this new version for a few days.

Thanks for the feedback Logorouge. Save games are still fine, I presume?

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 07:10:42 pm »
Save games are still fine, I presume?
Yep. So far existing saves worked fine, including in-progress runs and starting a new run. I also created a new save just in case and everything seemed fine too.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 07:11:58 pm »
Logo, what OS are you running?

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »
Logo, what OS are you running?
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
64-bit

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:40:45 pm »
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
64-bit

Thanks!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 10:31:49 pm »
The problem Logo is getting is the same one I'd been getting when trying to work on the blasted thing.

It doesn't like alt-tabbing, or window moving, or size switching, or if you look at it too hard.  Frankly I've mostly been blaming Windows here, because, you know, Windows.  Even when there's a bug in something else, it's still partly Windows' fault somehow.

Offline eruanion

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »
I fired it up for a couple runs. Ran into a couple (maybe engine-related) bugs that I submitted to mantis. Otherwise, things seem good so far.

Aside from those two bugs, the behavior of the gamepad in the main menu seems to have changed. It seems from the initial screen (where it says "press any key to start") if I press either the gamepad button that is assigned to "open menu" or the button assigned to "cancel", I get the "Are you sure you want to exit Starward Rogue?" dialog. Is that how it worked before? Now it is "press almost any key to start." It is a little confusing until you figure it out.

[edit]: Oh, I almost forgot. Using the white gloss, I got Bloody Rage (When not on full health, gain a x10% damage boost for the current room) and Jack of All Trades (boost global damage +10%, health by 2, energy by 25, missiles by 2) as perk choices on a level up. Jack of all Trades seemed obviously better, unless I am missing something on the difference between x10% damage boost and +10% damage boost. (That really needs to be clarified in the descriptions, somehow. Does x10% multiply other damage boosts as well, or what?)  If x10% and +10% damage are the same, those two perks don't belong on the same level.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:22:00 pm by eruanion »

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »
Aside from those two bugs, the behavior of the gamepad in the main menu seems to have changed. It seems from the initial screen (where it says "press any key to start") if I press either the gamepad button that is assigned to "open menu" or the button assigned to "cancel", I get the "Are you sure you want to exit Starward Rogue?" dialog. Is that how it worked before? Now it is "press almost any key to start." It is a little confusing until you figure it out.

Nope, it hasn't changed. Or at least it was the same way with 1.501. It is counter-intuitive though.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 12:24:41 pm »
Finally! But I cannot open steam at the moment, so no update for me.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 02:38:54 pm »
[edit]: Oh, I almost forgot. Using the white gloss, I got Bloody Rage (When not on full health, gain a x10% damage boost for the current room) and Jack of All Trades (boost global damage +10%, health by 2, energy by 25, missiles by 2) as perk choices on a level up. Jack of all Trades seemed obviously better, unless I am missing something on the difference between x10% damage boost and +10% damage boost. (That really needs to be clarified in the descriptions, somehow. Does x10% multiply other damage boosts as well, or what?)  If x10% and +10% damage are the same, those two perks don't belong on the same level.

If the text descriptions are accurate, then x10% means that it will multiply your overall damage boost, so it does more damage than +10%, which just adds 10% extra damage. If you haven't picked up any damage boosts, then the Jack of All Trades might be better, but if you've been hoarding damage boosts, getting a multiplicative damage boost will likely skyrocket your damage output.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 07:08:01 pm »
Quick note, the beta build has been updated to fix those window bugs. We're probably looking to push this soon, so a bit more testing might be useful before it goes out. Thanks!

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 09:15:13 pm »
Quick note, the beta build has been updated to fix those window bugs. We're probably looking to push this soon, so a bit more testing might be useful before it goes out. Thanks!
Wow. You guys fixed both the text issues and the Alt-tabbing. Thank you. Also, nice touch on the new icons.

By the way, those aren't really big issues or anything but...

-Conductive Hull is back to its original 80 energy gain (both text & effect) instead of the changed 60 like in v1.502 (where the text was wrong and still showing 80).
-Cryofreeze module: I think the sound effect should be toned down a bit. I mean, how long can you stand hearing that "fffSHII!" before you have to drop the module?
-Sabotage circuit doesn't trigger Power Orbital perk.
-Shrapnel Rose's hitbox seems too large for her sprite.
-Runs with no damage perks offered are not rare now. Entering floor 5 with next to nothing damage-wise is less than interesting. Even if I sacrifice my HP like a madman to get some extra stuff and get lucky with items, I still need my perks to provide me with at least some firepower.
-Immolated Minibot: Trail of fire doesn't stay? Maybe that one was just a weird item interact, but I didn't get another one since then and I can't do many runs until I get a bit healthier. So anyone else noticed something weird with the minibot trail effect?

That's about it I guess. :)

Offline Frumple

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 11:42:20 pm »
Not sure if it was fixed between 1.502 and 03, but if we're mentioning small issues, trap master (I think -- the one where lasers and caltrops stop hurting) stops/can stop working if you die and something revives you. Starts working again when you go to the next level, but it'll turn off for a bit. Might be specific to one of the revive perks/items... I don't remember what it was, heh, just that I was really surprised when rolling my face over spikes started hurting again :V

Also shields'll pop on them regardless, if my memory's not failing me for the Nth time. Not sure if that's intended or not, assuming I'm actually not misremembering.

Would have bug reported in game, but it completely slipped my mind at the time, ehehe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk