Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.100: The New Balance Hotness  (Read 11801 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Starward Rogue Update 1.100: The New Balance Hotness
« on: May 06, 2016, 03:29:08 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.com/starward-rogue-update-1-100-the-new-balance-hotness/

Been a while, hasn't it?  Our last update to the game was just over a month ago.  Well, even the release notes don't remotely do this one justice!

Basically there was previously a problem with the balance progression throughout the game if you were past a certain skill level in particular.  And there were some rooms that would give you situations where you might take unavoidable hits.  And there were some enemies that were out of whack, and some weapons for you.  And most of the consumable items were underwhelming.

Well... wowza, what a ton of changes to tune this one up for you.  The math for the progression of the game has been completely reworked, along with a lot of math in a lot of other places.  96 of the room templates have had tweaks to them, and the rest have had a hard squinting-at.  The final bosses are going to kick you in the teeth now (as they should), rather than you commonly having an OP build that would let you blaze through them quickly.  The latter still CAN happen, which is part of the fun of this genre, but now it's not remotely (vaguely, slightly) as frequent as it was before.

Oh!  Hey, yeah, there's also... seven, I think?... new weapons for you.  Four new familiars, too.  Bunches of new sound effects and some new particle effects.  A new enemy, the Zombot.

Also, I almost forgot -- Misery wrote up a great guide for you: Some tips and tricks for new or advanced players

Good grief!  And yes, of course, the Freaking Volunteers (whom this release is courtesy of) are still working on more.  If you run into any balance issues or have other feedback (good as well as bad!), I'm sure they'd love to hear from you on our forums, the steam forums, our bugtracker... you know where to find us.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.100: The New Balance Hotness
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:44:39 pm »
Hey, you took my advice and changed the Redshift secondary weapon! Cool!
Finally I can play this mech.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:57:44 pm »
Thanks so much for this patch, volunteers.  I can't wait to dive in.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:22:29 pm »
Ah!  It's out! 

Now I'm going to just wonder which boss or whatever is going to break down first.   There have indeed been some chages to bosses that weren't necessarily documented; wether they're noticeable or not is another story.   Though I can say that Backfire and Metal Legion now have Hard mode patterns where they didn't before.

I'm also going to wonder what'll happen when anyone reaches floors 6 and 7 now.  People will have to actually deal with all the awful stuff there!  And I warned about the damn Bubbles in my other post.  Someone's gonna inevitably complain about that enemy anyway, sooner or later.

Lastly:   For those that were playing the game on Hard mode, I STRONGLY suggest playing it on Normal mode again. You might find that maybe you don't clear Normal so easily now, and Hard mode, well... not meant to be played till you've mastered Normal.  Don't blame me if ya do it anyway!

Hey, you took my advice and changed the Redshift secondary weapon! Cool!
Finally I can play this mech.

.....when did THAT happen?   I don't remember that being changed.  Huh, interesting.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:32:27 pm »
Lastly:   For those that were playing the game on Hard mode, I STRONGLY suggest playing it on Normal mode again. You might find that maybe you don't clear Normal so easily now, and Hard mode, well... not meant to be played till you've mastered Normal.  Don't blame me if ya do it anyway!
I came here to ask you exactly about that, so thanks for the pre-emptive answer. :)

Ah ah! Just before the weekend too. I'm so happy right now!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:33:42 pm »
It is at least in the patch notes. I suggested that tjhe weapon being changed to the railgun because the STG does not fit the theme of the Redshift (stopping time at will). A fast firing gun on a mech that stops time when he stops? You had to move wild around to get the most out of the weapon. teh railgun fits it better, it has a single powerful shoot and you can take your time at aiming, after that you can move out of the way while your bullet travels towards the enemey.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:36:10 pm »
Apparently it broke my save.

Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »
Apparently it broke my save.

OF COURSE SOMETHING BREAKS.

Wait, what?  Repulsive Hornet Mine?   ........what?

I.... but that thing wasn't changed?   Ugh.  Or was it?   Just tweaks wouldn't have broken a save though.

Well.... bah.  We'll look into that.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 04:53:40 pm »
Same thing for me. But hey, considering the size of the update (in term of changes) something had to break for no reason. :P

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 04:58:01 pm »
Yeah, I did change the Repulsive Hornet mine energy cost, and stopped it from doing friendly damage, but that's about it. The name shouldn't have changed, so it should be fine....but obviously it isn't for some reason. Probably my bad, I'll have to investigate, though.

Oh, sorry if there's any missing stuff on the changelog for this patch, there was a couple of weeks I think when the wiki wasn't accessible, so a few notes probably weren't added. The wiki's working fine now, though.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »
I blame ptarth. :P

#HasAbsolutelyNothingToDoWithSVN

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:42:27 pm »
I accidently pressed "Delete" as I believed that it was the referenced item that was to be deleted. Unfortunately, my save obliterated itself. Any good way of getting that back?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:43:46 pm »
Unlikely. But you could check the recycle bin for recently deleted files.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:58:34 pm »
I accidently pressed "Delete" as I believed that it was the referenced item that was to be deleted. Unfortunately, my save obliterated itself. Any good way of getting that back?

I think you can find deleted saves in the save game folder. Presumably you can reinstate them, although I'm not sure.

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 12:32:05 am »
Yeah, I get the same error.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk