Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.014: Sacrifice THIS!  (Read 5199 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Starward Rogue Update 1.014: Sacrifice THIS!
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:58:04 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.com/starward-rogue-update-1-014-sacrifice-this/

Another biggun!  This one has a ton of balance and exploit adjustments, as well as some important bugfixes surrounding the sacrifice shops in particular.  No more should the sacrifice shops accidentally kill you when you make a purchase -- sorry about that!

There are a couple of new enemies, a couple of new familiars and practically-new familiars, and made a number of other powerups more desirable and/or interesting.

More to come soon!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.014: Sacrifice THIS!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:01:59 pm »
oh geez I dont even entirely remember what's in this.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:07:07 pm »
Sacrifice price increase fixes are probably the most critical. And new enemies are always fun.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »
...I wonder if I remembered to put the Riot thing in here.  Ugh.  I'm not sure... bah.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:23 pm »
I'm sad the Battleswarm hard mode fix isn't in yet. And the Aegis ships for obvious reasons :) .

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:39 pm »
...I wonder if I remembered to put the Riot thing in here.  Ugh.  I'm not sure... bah.
na I don't see it btw pretty rad up date I'm going to go see if the machine gun is still op now.
c.r

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 05:48:03 pm »
I'm sad the Battleswarm hard mode fix isn't in yet. And the Aegis ships for obvious reasons :) .

Yeah, the Aegis ships are going to spearhead the next release content. I'm still in two minds as to whether to try to get the black Aegis version in now, too, as that's probably the coolest one. There are four variants, but only variant art for three, so I'm a little unsure what to do. I could get rid of one of the simpler ones, and keep them all as a trio, or give the black version a new piece of art and call it Alpha Aegis to form a new set of three, or I could split the four designs over two different pieces of art, or just save the black version for a future fourth variant.... what do you think?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 06:05:31 pm »
Why don't we kitbash something together using the existing sprites?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 06:07:48 pm »
I'm least for getting rid of one entirely. Also not a fan of splitting them over 2 different pieces of art. I'd love to see the black in with the rest, but I'd rather he have the right art than force him in with just whatever. That said, I could see an alpha version with different art if it is similar enough, or just waiting for a future forth variant. If it is just a re-color you need, I'm happy to do that with no strings attached.

Also, don't forget to change their weapon damage if 1 isn't the default. I heard that most weapons are default 2 damage. I don't really have a preference, although I'd probably leave their shields at 1 attack power.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 06:08:30 pm »

The Battleswarm fix isnt in mostly because I forgot to send in the update last night, heh.  Oops.  It's at least ready to go, I think.

I still dont know how in the world I managed to screw that up so badly in the first place.  That pattern was a total disaster.  Even after fixing it I'm still not ENTIRELY sure just what had gone wrong.  I'll just blame Windows and the weather.  My two standard scapegoats. 

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 06:10:49 pm »
Also, don't forget to change their weapon damage if 1 isn't the default. I heard that most weapons are default 2 damage. I don't really have a preference, although I'd probably leave their shields at 1 attack power.

Hmm, I've been using 1 as standard shots, 2 for dangerous shots, 3 for really really dangerous shots.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 06:33:01 pm »
Then set them as you will. I would at minimum leave shield bullets, black's trail, and red's explosions, and blue's (white originally) shotgun at 1 damage. If you are going to make anything 2 damage, I'd say black and green's main projectiles. Green's is the easiest to avoid, so the extra damage makes sense. And black, well, he's supposed to be a little nastier.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:34:37 pm »
I've just been using 2 for nearly everything.  Just.... because.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 06:35:59 pm »
I'm least for getting rid of one entirely. Also not a fan of splitting them over 2 different pieces of art. I'd love to see the black in with the rest, but I'd rather he have the right art than force him in with just whatever. That said, I could see an alpha version with different art if it is similar enough, or just waiting for a future forth variant. If it is just a re-color you need, I'm happy to do that with no strings attached.

If you want you should be able to look at the new art for them in the current build. The enemies are actually testable in the new build, too, they're just not seeding yet. If you want to make a new variant recolour to use, that might work, although I'd have to run the recolour past Chris and Blue first, and you should probably match the art up with an existing shot colour. Oh, we're not using Black as that could get hard to see at times. Yeah, damage-wise I've got to do a bit more balance testing, then I'll see if any changes are needed. Thanks!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:40 pm »
And its people like you (Misery) that don't want regenerating Hulls and Shields too! ;p
Just for that, I'm now spawning 2 orders of french fries for every regular hamburger!

More seriously, for the bosses I understand, but for the regular shmoes, if everything does 2 damage, then for simplicity all damage and health should be divided by 2.

Bonus information: On Hard & Misery level difficulties, all enemy damage is increased. For Hard it is increased by 1. For Misery it might actually be increased by 2, I'm not sure how requires_difficulty_at_most works exactly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk