Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.013: New Rooms, New Enemies, and Balance Work  (Read 16221 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Original: http://arcengames.com/starward-rogue-update-1-013-4-new-enemies-performance-fixes/

This one is rather big!  Nothing too giant individually, but there's a whole heck of a lot of things in this one.  First of all, there's 14 new rooms from community members, boss updates and additions, new enemies, updated and overhauled drones, and balance to feats.  Among many, many other things.

More to come soon!  Because of the recent layoffs we are in a slower development phase now, so the updates won't be daily.  But there will be one or two a week at the very least, and likely more than that (particularly thanks to community contributions and our awesome volunteers).

As I noted last update, we've also resumed working on Stars Beyond Reach, and are now working on our other next project as well (Keith on the one and Blue and I on the other, respectively), so we have a plan for moving forward as a smaller company now.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.013: New Rooms, New Enemies, and Balance Work
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:16:04 pm »
that's all good but I have to ask is this new game anything to do with that old intended survival game? id be pretty hyped for a survival game from you!.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:23:58 pm »
Survival game aspects are definitely part of it, yes. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:15:09 pm »

I was wondering when the first infuriatingly vague hint about that was coming.

It's all part of the tradition, after all.   ;)

I dunno how you manage to keep all that stuff to yourself when making these really.  I can never resist the urge to just point out things that I know are upcoming for SR here.  Well, no... I've kept SOME details under wraps, but still.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »
wicked! are testers going to be involved with this? considering the simultamus (not a real word I know but I'm using it any way) development I some how don't they are I don't think Id have the time to test 2 games I'm so incredibly hyped about any way. ps I wonder will this be on the same kind of scale as starward? or something medium ish like tlf?
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 09:57:44 pm »
The project I'm working on is... very new to what Arcen has ever done before.  I am so freaking tempted to tell you a lot of things, but I won't. ;)  Suffice it to say, Blue and I have been learning lots of new things in order to make this happen.  But lest you worry too much, I have a lot of history with this sort of thing in the past.  Just... not with unity.  And never in a game we've made before.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:19:02 pm »
I am so freaking tempted to tell you a lot of things, but I won't. ;)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:22:40 pm »
The project I'm working on is... very new to what Arcen has ever done before.  I am so freaking tempted to tell you a lot of things, but I won't. ;)  Suffice it to say, Blue and I have been learning lots of new things in order to make this happen.  But lest you worry too much, I have a lot of history with this sort of thing in the past.  Just... not with unity.  And never in a game we've made before.
sounds....different also unity?! holy shitballs WHEN was that engine made by the way?! I keep seeing that super old engine pop all over the place its crazy.
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »
The project I'm working on is...

Easy. Robot dating sim with special uncensored images if you preorder. Plus an amazing crafting system to build your own robot house for that special robot.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 10:45:28 pm »
sounds....different also unity?! holy shitballs WHEN was that engine made by the way?! I keep seeing that super old engine pop all over the place its crazy.
Unity 1 was 2005. It's gone through five major versions since then, and Unity 5 came out last year. It's like saying Unreal 4 is old because the first one came out in 1998.

Easy. Robot dating sim with special uncensored images if you preorder. Plus an amazing crafting system to build your own robot house for that special robot.
This is the closest guess in the thread. The fact that it's the ONLY guess in the thread is completely unrelated. Completely.  :P

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 10:47:58 pm »
I am so freaking tempted to tell you a lot of things, but I won't. ;)

How is this different than any other game in the works.  Give him time to slip up and start spilling the beans ;)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:00:08 pm »
Unity 1 was 2005. It's gone through five major versions since then, and Unity 5 came out last year. It's like saying Unreal 4 is old because the first one came out in 1998.

This is the closest guess in the thread. The fact that it's the ONLY guess in the thread is completely unrelated. Completely.  :P
hu I thought it was the same version being used since its original was a thing guess that sounds about right also ptarths idea sounds amazing for arcen they could even fit it in to their existing lore.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 11:54:42 pm »
Yeah, Unity is getting more mainstream now because it's getting far more powerful.  We've been using it since version 2.x, in 2010.  We did the whole 3.x thing as soon as that came out, then 4.x eagerly, then went meh to 5.x until the last couple of weeks.  Because of this new project.  And now it's awesomeness.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 11:59:26 pm »

Notice he didn't say anything about my guess. Which means I'm completely right.

You might ask, "Is there really a market for such a high quality game?"

Well, a pigeon dating sim sold over 240k copies...
And I like robots...
Not that way...

I hope the Invader kills you all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:11:00 am by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 12:00:37 am »

Notice he didn't say anything about my guess. Which means I'm completely right.

You might ask, "Is there really a market for such a high quality game?"

Well, a pigeon dating sim sold over 240k copies...
And I like robots...
Not that way...

I hope the Invader kills you all.

Well I've hit my point of "I'm not sure what's going on anymore".

Another tradition properly followed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk