Author Topic: Starward Rogue Update 1.013: New Rooms, New Enemies, and Balance Work  (Read 16216 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Starward Rogue Update 1.013: New Rooms, New Enemies, and Balance Work
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:27 pm »
...Katanaka Ultimate Maker...For The Love Of Kings...

After spending about 10 minutes looking up your highly rated and enthusiastic suggestions Chris, I also found you a link to something else you would really like.

.....really?

I mean....  REALLY?

I just... it... was that really called for?

Excuse me for a moment.  *walks outside, bashes head on tree for 5 minutes*

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 04:37:20 pm »

After spending about 10 minutes looking up your highly rated and enthusiastic suggestions Chris, I also found you a link to something else you would really like.

.....really?

I mean....  REALLY?

Oh, it was totally called for.  :P ptarth, I'm really sorry I wasted 10 minutes of your time -- I hoped that you would realize what I was full of sooner than that. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 04:52:58 pm »

.....really?

I mean....  REALLY?

Oh, it was totally called for.  :P ptarth, I'm really sorry I wasted 10 minutes of your time -- I hoped that you would realize what I was full of sooner than that. ;)
can somebody please explain to me why that songs a meme? I just don't get I mean its dam good song but seriously....
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 04:54:56 pm »
Quote from: crazyroosterman
...Is Long Live the Queen good?...

It's one step closer to a real game than a Visual Novel. It's like a choose your own adventurer book.

Quote from: Misery
...Was that necessary?...

Yes. After getting a personal recommendation for such an amazing list of titles to look up by a seminal game designer, I felt that a similarly valuable counter link was absolutely necessary. If I had a better link, I would have presented that, but I still think I provided a relatively interesting few minutes.

Quote from: x4000
...Thanks for your contribution...
...I'm sorry I sent you such an interesting list of titles to look up...
...At least it wasn't a TVtropes or Wikipedia link level of interesting...

No worries. I spend too much time on the forums anyway. Those bulleted lists aren't going to write themselves. In return I'm going to make a Pro-brawler Mod that has regenerating shields, energy, and health.

On another note, did a mod loading system ever get written in? Or do I just need to drop the files in the relevant folder(s) and let the XML reader overwrite the previous versions? I suppose I could also write a ton of replace_entity code, too.

Why is that a meme?

item.popularity = Random_from_Normal_Distribution(x=1,mean=0,sd=1000000000000)
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:47 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling
okay?.......I mean I knew people used in that but I don't really what's bait and switchey about the song it self then again memes usually are pretty dumb so that's probably why.
c.r

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 04:58:06 pm »
...Is Long Live the Queen good?...

It's one step closer to a real game than a Visual Novel. It's like a choose your own adventurer book.

Quote from: Misery
...Was that necessary?...

Yes. After getting a personal recommendation for such an amazing list of titles to look up by a seminal game designer, I felt that a similarly valuable counter link was absolutely necessary. If I had a better link, I would have presented that, but I still think I provided a relatively interesting few minutes.

Quote from: x4000
...Thanks for your contribution...
...I'm sorry I sent you such an interesting list of titles to look up...
...At least it wasn't a TVtropes or Wikipedia link level of interesting...

No worries. I spend too much time on the forums anyway. Those bulleted lists aren't going to write themselves. In return I'm going to make a Pro-brawler Mod that has regenerating shields, energy, and health.

On another note, did a mod loading system ever get written in? Or do I just need to drop the files in the relevant folder(s) and let the XML reader overwrite the previous versions? I suppose I could also write a ton of replace_entity code, too.

Why is that a meme?

item.popularity = Random_from_Normal_Distribution(x=1,mean=0,sd=1000000000000)
that's about right yea.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 05:03:47 pm »
Cheers ptarth. :)

For mods, you can add mods via separate files, yes.  But having it load over top of existing things is not yet possible except in circumstances of directly overwriting those files and then not taking any further main game updates that would overwrite them.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 05:08:55 pm »
Cheers ptarth. :)

For mods, you can add mods via separate files, yes.  But having it load over top of existing things is not yet possible except in circumstances of directly overwriting those files and then not taking any further main game updates that would overwrite them.

No worries. Thanks.
I'm trying to do my little part to help out.

Or at least to get revenge on Misery for still not changing the MobileBeamTurret (located in Misery_EnemyShips.xml, line 580) for the Labyrinth boss to ship_category="EnemyFamiliar" to stop it from giving XP on death.

:P
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 05:20:43 pm »

Ya know, this brings up an interesting point... we have a highly moddable game but NO ACTUAL MODS.  Instead we've had submissions and things that just get entered into the game (since so far, there hasnt been anything that "doesnt fit" or something).

It would indeed be nice if we could get some actual mods going and available.   A mod that alters the available mechs might be a fun one.  I'm too lazy to do that myself though.

Someone that isnt me would also need to write up a guide on properly installing mods though.  But yeah, I do think we could use some.

Or at least to get revenge on Misery for still not changing the MobileBeamTurret (located in Misery_EnemyShips.xml, line 580) for the Labyrinth boss to ship_category="EnemyFamiliar" to stop it from giving XP on death.

What?  It's not revenge for the Blaze Turret?  Did I not make it Stupid Flying Medusa Head enough?

That being said... argh, I'd totally forgotten about that stupid beam thing!

I dont know how developers manage to keep track of all this stuff all the time.  Without going insane, anyway.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 05:30:47 pm »
can somebody please explain to me why that songs a meme? I just don't get I mean its dam good song but seriously....
Honestly?

.....really?

I mean....  REALLY?

Hilarious overreactions are the reason.

Said game designer is on record as not knowing much about the genre. :P

If you want games which match the descriptions implied by Chris's fake titles you'll want Rune Factory 4 and Choice of Romance/Affairs of the Court. Thank me later.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 05:37:32 pm »
Honestly?

.....really?

I mean....  REALLY?

If you want games which match the descriptions implied by Chris's fake titles you'll want Rune Factory 4 and Choice of Romance/Affairs of the Court. Thank me later.
na ptarth explained it perfectly.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 05:49:58 pm »
Honestly?

.....really?

I mean....  REALLY?

na ptarth explained it perfectly.
That was the what, this is the why. If no one had responded to the rickroll it nevrr would have left 4chan. Misery's reaction here increases the likelihood that one of us who saw it will propogate the meme in the future.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
...Said game designer is on record as not knowing much about the genre...
...Rune Factory 4 and Choice of Romance/Affairs of the Court... Thank me later.

Chris is just modest.

I don't have a DS sadly. I found Rune Factory Frontier was better than Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny. I want to play them (DS titles) on a large screen (e.g., TV), but the DS to TV option is prohibitively expensive ($250-$500) (and still low res).

I took a look at Choice of Romance:Affairs of the Court. It is a bit too choose your own Adventurery to me. I want less feelings and more agriculture and life management. I want to terraform the lands in my own image.

Academagia was a rough attempt at some more like what I'd want, but they got bogged down in their own vision and didn't clean up the mechanics. Spells and Dueling were awesome aspects of the game, but ultimately very frustrating to work with. The adventurers were also too reliant upon blind random skill checks. Its worth a look, but they should have lowered the price on it a long time ago. There is a free 30 minute demo though.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 06:06:13 pm »
That was the what, this is the why. If no one had responded to the rickroll it nevrr would have left 4chan. Misery's reaction here increases the likelihood that one of us who saw it will propogate the meme in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk