General Category > Starward Rogue

Starward Rogue Unlock Overhaul Brainstorming

<< < (2/6) > >>

Logorouge:

--- Quote from: Pepisolo on May 24, 2018, 10:52:37 AM ---Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind, but I've already created a grenade launcher based on the one from SMASH TV which sounds quite similar.  So, maybe I've already created something like that. Maybe!

--- End quote ---
It would be closer to the Hornet mine, but you rapidly lay a grid of tiny mines behind/beneath you.

Draco18s:

--- Quote from: Pepisolo on May 24, 2018, 10:52:37 AM ---I imagine this would require engine work, although probably very basic. The main reason I'm not too excited about this one is that I really don't like the mysterious circuits...at all! Those need a big overhaul of some kind.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, they do. :\

The only system I can really compare it to is the scrolls and potions in Pixel Dungeon (which, yes, I realize points back farther all the way to Rogue). The main reason it works in Pixel Dungeon comes down to four things:

* You can carry lots of items (like, twelve different things, its not a LOT but its more than two)
* You can carry more than one of the same potion/scroll
* There aren't that many possibilities
* Potions generally come in two types: good for you and bad for them
* Drinking a bad-for-them type IDs the potion and you get poisoned/set on fire/etc. Minor detriment for knowledge.
* Throwing a good-for-you type IDs the potion (most of the time) and usually doesn't do much to the enemy. Minor detriment for knowledge.
* Its usually best to drink any un-IDed potion you have when in a "safe" place, usually near a door and near water.
* Most potions you have lots of (i.e. a stack of 4) are usually good-for-you
* Some "secret" locations require a potion of a known type to get into, and depending on what it is, save the "I have one" to try out in that area. All rooms of these sort are guaranteed to make the dungeon generate the requisite potion elsewhere on the level (i.e. the bottom less pit room generates a potion of levitation, the barricaded library generates a potion of fire). These can provide hints.
Starward Rogue's mysterious circuits on the other hand are:

* Rare. Even if you identify one, the likelyhood that you run into a second copy of that exact same circuit is vanishingly small
* Either Good-for-You or Bad-for-You. Some of the good-for-you ones are also bad-for-them, but they're activated in the same way, so the distinction is less important.
* Activating a Bad-for-You around enemies is BAD
* Activating a Good-for-You-Bad-for-Them in a safe location is BAD[/list] <-- no, I can't edit that out.

Logorouge:

--- Quote from: Draco18s on May 24, 2018, 12:51:44 PM ---The only system I can really compare it to is the scrolls and potions in Pixel Dungeon (which, yes, I realize points back farther all the way to Rogue).

--- End quote ---
It's much easier to compare it to Isaac's pills. Starting from there, the big problem with Starward (like you mentioned) would be their rarity vs the size of the existing selection. But that's an easy fix. Cut the fat, making sure unknowns are worth the risk and add new sources that can drop the circuits. Easy peasy. :) (Probations were in worse shape than that.)

Draco18s:

--- Quote from: Logorouge on May 24, 2018, 02:10:50 PM ---It's much easier to compare it to Isaac's pills.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, so I've heard, but I've not played Isaac.

Logorouge:

--- Quote from: Draco18s on May 24, 2018, 05:07:35 PM ---Yeah, so I've heard, but I've not played Isaac.

--- End quote ---
Ah, yeah, that would make it pretty hard to compare. Well, they're very similar, except that said pills are very easy to come by, so identifying one is almost always worth it because you're bound to see it a few more times. Another thing is that the pills are less risky, because they're divided between beneficial/useless/harmful. So the bad ones aren't that common. The circuits are more 50/50 between good and bad, with some of the beneficial ones being arguably useless. Edit: Turns out the number of harmful circuits depends on the difficulty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version