Author Topic: Starward Rogue Redshirts Wanted -- Today!! :D  (Read 19456 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: Starward Rogue Redshirts Wanted -- Today!! :D
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 05:49:36 pm »
I'm just curious. How many redshirts are being thrown by the airlock invited to test this fine game?
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »
If you need another, I've got sufficient time to spend on it for the upcoming week. However, I'm not confident I'm proficient enough at the genre. I can play TLF on Misery Combat level with Misery, but I don't find it fun. Otherwise I'll see you guys in the second wave.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 09:22:50 pm »
ptarth, I'd love to have you in this.  Please shoot me an email if you want to. :)  In terms of the difficulty you're talking about in TLF in Misery difficulty, ugh -- I would not find that fun either.

Right now there's something like 5 testers, because I've hardly said anything and the forums are quiet right now.  And you all seem afraid of the game for some reason. ;)

I am unfortunately going to have to wait until tomorrow to push the release of this next build, as I've spent longer than I meant to in getting some things prepared for you today.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »
If this was mentioned elsewhere forgive me, but will there be controller support?  I assume so, but I wanted to be sure.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »
Right now there's something like 5 testers, because I've hardly said anything and the forums are quiet right now.  And you all seem afraid of the game for some reason. ;)
I'm not afraid! Well, maybe a little. I played today Hero Siege (Awesome game) with my friend and died a dozen times. So I'm really not good at dodging stuff. Or maybe that's an excuse and in fact I'm just lazy and stand around, taking the hits. Who knows.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:05 am »
If you need another, I've got sufficient time to spend on it for the upcoming week. However, I'm not confident I'm proficient enough at the genre. I can play TLF on Misery Combat level with Misery, but I don't find it fun. Otherwise I'll see you guys in the second wave.

Seriously, it doesnt get THAT hard.

It's also worth noting that THIS doesnt have the main issue that TLF had on that difficulty:  There's no inflation of enemy health numbers or anything.  Enemy HP does not change/scale with the difficulty this time.  Your own max HP and shields will change, and as stated before, boss patterns and such will become weaker/slower/thinner on lower difficulties VS higher ones (it's just that this bit isnt there yet).  There may be other things that change (heck if I know) but things dont alter in such a way that would make everything take forever.

And heck, I could prioritize the designing of weaker versions of enemy patterns for lower difficulties if that turned out to be needed right away, if Chris should want me to do that. That's not hard or time consuming to do.  But for right now, you could just put the game on easy or very easy in order to have lots of HP to work with.

The actual game areas ARENT bullet-hell style.  Bullet SPAM, yes, but because these are not huge open rooms most of the time (think rooms like in Isaac or, well, pretty much any other game of this type, which are usually filled with walls and things) there isnt room for full bullet-hell situations to appear.   And the enemies dont fire even close to as often to produce that anyway. 

Really though, it's not as hard as it looks or sounds.  It's just not meant to be that sort of thing.  The "base" difficulty is likely to be, well, right around where it usually is for an Arcen game, I expect.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:35:58 am by Misery »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:56 am »
If this was mentioned elsewhere forgive me, but will there be controller support?  I assume so, but I wanted to be sure.

Seems to work fine to me.  I'm using a PS4 controller myself (machine recognizes it as a 360 type).

Offline YukaTakeuchiFan

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 03:40:40 am »
Ahhh, you caught me during a two-week period where I really need to get some side work done, otherwise I would be all OVER this.

Looks like I may have to wait for that public alpha. Really is too bad, I've been curious about what this game's gonna look and feel like. =3

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 04:10:01 am »
I'm a mite busy right now, too, else I'd be up for it.

Will there be an orangeshirt wave?
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2015, 08:29:45 am »

Seems to work fine to me.  I'm using a PS4 controller myself (machine recognizes it as a 360 type).

Ok, great.  That's the same controller I'm using.  Thanks!

Offline ElOhTeeBee

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2015, 09:44:32 am »
Is it too late to sign up?

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 12:33:35 pm »
ptarth, I'd love to have you in this.  Please shoot me an email if you want to. :)  In terms of the difficulty you're talking about in TLF in Misery difficulty, ugh -- I would not find that fun either.

I am unfortunately going to have to wait until tomorrow to push the release of this next build, as I've spent longer than I meant to in getting some things prepared for you today.
I'm not afraid as I've already mentioned I just don't think id be any use for what you want this week and so I'm going to wait to buy into the alpha.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 12:48:24 pm »

I'm not afraid as I've already mentioned I just don't think id be any use for what you want this week and so I'm going to wait to buy into the alpha.

Right now, honestly, ANY bit of feedback, no matter how small, is totally of use. Alot of use.  I sure dont exactly have everyone else's experience with the whole game design process, but I'm definitely seeing the point we're at now as being exactly the time to start bringing in every conceivable bit of input from people outside of the dev group as possible. Particularly as new content starts coming in at a rapid rate.

The stuff Chris pointed out is of course the central focus right now, but sometimes advice even on side things can turn out to be unexpectedly important.  Or at least, it seems so to me anyway.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 01:07:26 pm »

Right now, honestly, ANY bit of feedback, no matter how small, is totally of use. Alot of use.  I sure dont exactly have everyone else's experience with the whole game design process, but I'm definitely seeing the point we're at now as being exactly the time to start bringing in every conceivable bit of input from people outside of the dev group as possible. Particularly as new content starts coming in at a rapid rate.

The stuff Chris pointed out is of course the central focus right now, but sometimes advice even on side things can turn out to be unexpectedly important.  Or at least, it seems so to me anyway.
I suppose you've got a point if by the end of today nobody else has signed up(or a minuscule amount at least) ill sign up and donate at a later point providing you don't mind my lack of any real experience at twin sticks.(I think there was something like this I used to play when I was very young but that's all that comes to mind) 
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 01:19:53 pm »

I suppose you've got a point if by the end of today nobody else has signed up(or a minuscule amount at least) ill sign up and donate at a later point providing you don't mind my lack of any real experience at twin sticks.(I think there was something like this I used to play when I was very young but that's all that comes to mind)

Nah, you dont need experience.  Frankly, it's good to have players around that DONT have experience.  If everyone here was an expert at this type of game.... this wouldnt end well.   Hell, that's why I'm constantly asking for feedback on stuff *I* make, because I'm not capable of judging the difficulty of any of it properly.  It's all easy to me.  But then show it to someone else, and much of the time the response is "OMG DYING SO MUCH".  Though again, I'm toning it down alot here, but still. 

The thing you should just do is put the game on easy or very easy; the only things these do right now is increase your HP and shields, so they'll make it so you can keep going & testing even if you take a pile of hits.  It's not so much about how often you're DYING to various things.... it's more about how much you're getting hit by them.

All you need, I think, is time to play, and the willingness to deal with the usual things that come with testing; bugs & reports for instance.   That sort of thing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk