Author Topic: Starward Rogue BETA 1.502 (Plus upcoming kickstarter expansion!)  (Read 14914 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Starward Rogue BETA 1.502 (Plus upcoming kickstarter expansion!)
« on: November 11, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.com/starward-rogue-beta-1-502-plus-upcoming-kickstarter-expansion/

New beta build for you!  To get this one, you'll need to right-click the game in Steam and hit Properties, then go to Betas and opt into the beta for this game.  Right now the guys are basically looking for feedback, because this is a huge number of changes!

There's just an incredible, incredible amount of stuff in there.  The biggest single group of changes is in the perk overhaul, though; that's a really exciting one.

Expansion Kickstarter?

Yep!  Details on this are scarce right now, but basically the volunteers behind all these awesome free updates over the last year are putting together a paid expansion pack with even more new features.  We'll have more on that coming up, and a link to the kickstarter and all that when it's going live, of course.  For now I just wanted to mention that that's a thing on the horizon!

It's completely separate from anything Keith and I are doing on the AI War 2 kickstarter, as an aside.  So no worries about negative overlap there in either direction.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Starward Rogue BETA 1.502 (Plus upcoming kickstarter expansion!)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »
Yeah, guys, we could do with testers for this to check out all the new changes. Save games should still work, but you might want to back those up just in case. The new perk icons are not yet final, although feedback on which ones look fine and which don't might be useful. The icons were created using repurposed art without Blue's expertise, so there might be a few dodgy ones. Blue will be taking a look nearer the proper Steam release.

There are fixes in place for that dreaded R6025 virtual crash thingy, so hopefully that problem is fixed, but maybe not as it's been pretty tricky to pin down why that crash happens. We're mostly just looking for general feedback, difficulty feedback etc. Whatever you've got. Cheers!

Offline ElOhTeeBee

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »
Probably not the best time to announce a kickstarter, regardless of whether or not anyone on AI War 2 would be working on it.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »
Probably not the best time to announce a kickstarter, regardless of whether or not anyone on AI War 2 would be working on it.

It's absolutely the time to announce it -- waiting until after the fact to mention it is much much worse.  Given we have full intent of this (though it won't even be under Arcen's account on kickstarter -- this is separate folks working on it, etc), it's much better if we let people have all the information now.

I imagine that your argument is probably that people may avoid backing one of them for fear we're doing something shady?  There might be other reasons, but that's my top one, anyway.  In those cases, I'd rather have people not back us based on having info in advance instead of back us and find out an unpleasant (to them) surprise.

I've talked about this a fair bit on the later updates of the first AI War 2 kickstarter -- and while I'm not intending to make it some sort of in-your-face "look at this other thing!" issue, I do want to be clear in terms of "hey, full disclosure, here's what's up and why it's not what some other dirtbag developers have done."

That's the rationale, anyway.  :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »
There are fixes in place for that dreaded R6025 virtual crash thingy, so hopefully that problem is fixed, but maybe not as it's been pretty tricky to pin down why that crash happens.

Ooh, I didn't hear about that fix.  What was it, in the end?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 04:13:48 pm »
There are fixes in place for that dreaded R6025 virtual crash thingy, so hopefully that problem is fixed, but maybe not as it's been pretty tricky to pin down why that crash happens.

Ooh, I didn't hear about that fix.  What was it, in the end?

Actually, I was referring to that fix you put in way back. Something to do with enabling virtualization at all times rather than switching it on or off......? Something like that. I'm hoping that fixed it. So, yeah, that thing that you put in which you might've forgotton about, heh.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 04:26:20 pm »
OH.  Right, I totally forgot about that.  Wow, back in September.  Derp!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 04:26:53 pm »
Chris did it. Might have just been the impact of using updated version of Unity.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:44 pm »
Chris did it. Might have just been the impact of using updated version of Unity.

No, this was further back.  What I did:

Quote from: me a long time ago
I made it so that it now always keeps the brightness/contrast shader active at all times, versus turning it on and off between those rooms.  The virtual method call issues can happen when certain things are disabled, so that might have been the issue.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 07:18:51 pm »
That potential fix for the virtual crash will be most welcome. Not knowing when the game might crash was pretty nerve racking. :P
It will be exciting to be able to test out the game with all those fixes and additions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 09:31:02 pm »
Ah, so this is ready, then.

Here's hoping nothing bursts into flames.

Unless it's supposed to.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 10:17:27 pm »
Ah, so this is ready, then.

Here's hoping nothing bursts into flames.

Unless it's supposed to.
For what it's worth, my existing save ran without any issue but my mech ended up bursting into said flames as I died...on Normal. Gotta pay more attention now that I can't just steamroll everything. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 10:25:34 am »
For what it's worth, my existing save ran without any issue but my mech ended up bursting into said flames as I died...on Normal. Gotta pay more attention now that I can't just steamroll everything. :)

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news:

On the fifth floor, while teleporting rapidly from room to room with the Blue mech.
Attached are all the files I thought could be relevant. I'll wait to run the game, in case I forgot something.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 09:18:53 am »
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news:

On the fifth floor, while teleporting rapidly from room to room with the Blue mech.
Attached are all the files I thought could be relevant. I'll wait to run the game, in case I forgot something.

Drat! I feared that we hadn't fully dealt with the problem. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anything more we can do about this. It seems to be way too deep in the engine (or Unity) for us to be able to fix. :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk