Author Topic: Starward Rogue -- AuGMENTED testing feedback thread  (Read 35681 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Starward Rogue -- AuGMENTED testing feedback thread
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:51 am »
Before I forget:  The Meteor Hammer module, some really weird stuff happens if the thing hits a vent or whatever those things are called.

I don't know if that's a "bug" really or just a bizarre interaction, but wanted to mention it before I forget.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:20 am »
Challenge accepted. Now I will built a max missile capacity build so I can hit the cap.

That will certainly be a challenge! You should be able to get into the 20s easily enough. I think getting 40, or whatever the cap is, I think it's 40, will rely on certain items dropping, though. For example, you'd have to get More Munitions and Manifold Munitions.

At 42 it should switch in the old version of the Epic Siege's Plasma Cannon from Bionic. With all possible aoe-size buffs.

That cleared floors.

That sounds like fun! :) I actually quite like the idea of stuff like this, do X and then certain weapons power up to some other weapon. Stuff like that.

Before I forget:  The Meteor Hammer module, some really weird stuff happens if the thing hits a vent or whatever those things are called.

I don't know if that's a "bug" really or just a bizarre interaction, but wanted to mention it before I forget.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I don't think I've seen that before. Hopefully it's just an odd cosmetic thing that doesn't really matter than much. I'll look out for it, though.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 04:03:13 pm »
forgot I made that post btw I've changed my mind about that launcher I still don't like but I don't think its ACTUALY bad in any way it just doesn't jell with what I like to use missiles for (breaking those hardened blocks and interrupting boss bullet patterns when I'm feeling over whelmed)
same for most of its kit really the shotguns fantastic but I just prefer the way faster firing weaponry feels In this game over all. 

I'm really not convinced by the turrets though they felt really underpowered to me in my last session
haven't realy done any toying around with the fact they block bullets though might end up changing my mind on them as well if that functionality works well for me.
c.r

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 09:13:26 pm »

It's a weird-looking interaction but it's normal. The vents send the different parts of the hammer to random vents (like usual) and the hammer returns to the user no matter what, resulting in a chaotic display.
___

I had a bit of feedback and suggestions:

-Mystery Missile Crate/Used Battery/Random Buffet: Don't work with Redshift. Timing problem?

-Rogue Communicator: The size of the explosions is a bit small.

-Random Buffet pickup: Remove empty stats space.

-Flux capacitor pickup: Remove empty stats space too.

-Reflex Amplifier pickup: Remove irrelevant stats display.

-Spike Switch: That new art looks like something I'd want to activate. It's perfect.

-Defense leecher pad: Also like the new look.

-QuadPuzzle room: It auto-resolved? Don't know why.

-Crystal Beamer: Cost, 60 -> 70cr. It's just that good.

-Jump or Jumprope room: Square -> SquareNE. More variety for SquareNE, less repetition for Square. It's win-win.

-Armada (secondary): The flight sfx of the bulletships seems unnecessary and quickly leads to sound silencing.

-Paladin mech: Both the blade and the shield are wonderful to use now. Great (future) update. But the projectile part going through walls feels like overkill, even though it makes sense thematically.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:11 pm »
-Mystery Missile Crate/Used Battery/Random Buffet: Don't work with Redshift. Timing problem?

Ouch, those Red Shift edge case problems can be pretty tricksy to fix...but fortunately, I seem to have found a solution. The solution is not super ideal, as you will have to progress time for the buffs to kick in, but they work at least. So we currently have the health buff that kicks in immediately, the other buffs need to have time progressed to for them to kick in. Plus, the nicety of filling the energy tank when you get an energy buff doesn't work correctly, but these are such minor issues for such a crazy mech that things are just about fine -- messing with time can cause weird things to happen I guess!

-Rogue Communicator: The size of the explosions is a bit small.

I'll leave this for Goldenwolf to take a look at.

-Random Buffet pickup: Remove empty stats space.

-Flux capacitor pickup: Remove empty stats space too.

Yeah, I'm not actually sure we can remove those without engine work (investigates)... actually we can, phew. Basically, rather than using on_pickup_grants_ship_system you need to use <modifier target="OnPickupGrantToPlayer" type="TemporarilyGrantSystem" />. Systems that use on_pickup_grants_ship_system are treated as weapons, which always have a stat block. Or something like that! Anyway...fixed! :)

-Reflex Amplifier pickup: Remove irrelevant stats display.

Fixed, thanks!

-Spike Switch: That new art looks like something I'd want to activate. It's perfect.

-Defense leecher pad: Also like the new look.

Nice!

-QuadPuzzle room: It auto-resolved? Don't know why.

I think I've fixed this, but it's super awkward to test, so I'll just leave my fix in and hope that it works, which it probably should.

-Crystal Beamer: Cost, 60 -> 70cr. It's just that good.

Changed, thanks. Feel free to make any credit cost adjustments your self, as I only did one pass on the costs, and any changes you want to make will probably be good.

-Jump or Jumprope room: Square -> SquareNE. More variety for SquareNE, less repetition for Square. It's win-win.

Change those from being in Square to being in SquareNE? Seems good, I don't think Draco will mind if I change that. Fixed!

-Armada (secondary): The flight sfx of the bulletships seems unnecessary and quickly leads to sound silencing.

I haven't noticed any problems with that, but if it's causing sound to cut out then, yeah, I'll remove it. Cheers!

-Paladin mech: Both the blade and the shield are wonderful to use now. Great (future) update. But the projectile part going through walls feels like overkill, even though it makes sense thematically.

I think that removing the ignoring walls is going to complicate the implementation a bit more which will cause some extra work. If it's really too much then we can look into removing it, but there aren't any mechs that start with a weapon that ignores walls so it seems like an interesting thing for the Paladin. Plus, the phantom blade projectile is actually one of the weakest starting main weapons, I think, (if you don't use it to melee with) so if a mech starting with an ignores all walls weapon is going to work, then it's most likely to work for the Paladin.  So, perhaps we'll give it a bit more testing time?

Thanks for the feedback! Oh, I'll commit these changes to SVN pretty soon, probably. :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:32:09 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2018, 01:21:17 pm »
[...]
Jump rooms: Just one of them is to transfer actually, for a nice spread of puzzle rooms.

RedShift: I think your fix sounds perfectly reasonable. I doubt anyone will mind that you to let a moment pass for the effect to kick in. It's similar to chests, so Redshift players should be pretty used to it.

Paladin: You're right. More testing time would be good.

Thanks Pepisolo!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 06:17:48 pm »
Jump rooms: Just one of them is to transfer actually, for a nice spread of puzzle rooms.

Doh! I moved both over. I'll move one back then! :)

Yeah, that Redshift fix should be fine. Making a better fix than that would probably require engine work, but it's not really worth it for a fairly trivial edge case problem.

Offline Whistler

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2018, 01:13:57 am »
A few more comments:

- Good to hear about the paladin rework!

- Agree about the crystal drones. Their ability to destroy missile blocks/ignore enemy shot blocking is quite powerful. The white drone is also described as "green crystal beamer" in the shop.

- In the 1.800 version Paragon's main pattern (blue-white stream) only partially appears. This could be my machine as I have the same problem with the last phase of Crystal Mother, where the green part of the pattern only sometimes appears.

- Firefly pistol's range is surprising long and has the same range as sniper rifles. Thematically it feels like it should have standard range.

- Flamehose (secondary) could use a slight increase in energy cost.

- Incidentally, is there a reason why so many of the weapons have a small knockback?

- Shadowfang (sacrifice). Description suggests there is a penalty for missing, but no damage is taken. Also has the same lunge issue as the paladin sword.

- Slime pump leaves a really bright green residue. Could the colour be toned down a little? Felt like I was painting the floor. (May have been plague pistol -- I can't remember).

- X4 burstomatic (main weapon, vanilla) -- feels a little powerful for something that can appear on level 1.

- Warhog + Large and in charge is huge! (and slow). Might be amusing to have an achievement for this :)

Overall, having fun and still haven't seen all the new stuff!

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 08:28:54 am »
- In the 1.800 version Paragon's main pattern (blue-white stream) only partially appears. This could be my machine as I have the same problem with the last phase of Crystal Mother, where the green part of the pattern only sometimes appears.
Me too. Although the partial Paragon attack only started recently, I always had that problem with Crystal Mother. No clue why.

- Shadowfang (sacrifice). Description suggests there is a penalty for missing, but no damage is taken. Also has the same lunge issue as the paladin sword.
That one is a bit more subtle. To test it, throw it in the middle of an empty room and be ready to dodge.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 10:32:01 am »
- Agree about the crystal drones. Their ability to destroy missile blocks/ignore enemy shot blocking is quite powerful. The white drone is also described as "green crystal beamer" in the shop.

I could've sworn I'd fixed that but checking again, it seems I didn't. Strange, oh well, its fixed now.

In the 1.800 version Paragon's main pattern (blue-white stream) only partially appears. This could be my machine as I have the same problem with the last phase of Crystal Mother, where the green part of the pattern only sometimes appears.

It seems fine on my PC. That might require a fair bit of investigation, so I'm not sure if we can fix that soon. Seems performance related, so it probably only affects certain setups.

- Firefly pistol's range is surprising long and has the same range as sniper rifles. Thematically it feels like it should have standard range.

Good point, Goldenwolf has reduced the range on that a bit, thanks.

- Flamehose (secondary) could use a slight increase in energy cost.

Hmmm, it's actually a bit weird for me to up the cost on that since it's currently at a cost of 1, and it's probably best to avoid using decimals for energy cost. So, I can only really up the cost to 2, which would presumably be too much of a nerf. Reducing the power of each shot from 4 to 3 is an option.

- Incidentally, is there a reason why so many of the weapons have a small knockback?

It's mostly for the feel of impact.

- Slime pump leaves a really bright green residue. Could the colour be toned down a little? Felt like I was painting the floor. (May have been plague pistol -- I can't remember).

Although the colour hasn't changed on the Slimp Pump, Goldenwolf has changed the particle on that a bit, thanks.

X4 burstomatic (main weapon, vanilla) -- feels a little powerful for something that can appear on level 1.

Actually, looking at the damage on that, it seems perfectly in line with the general Tier 1 level -- the problem might be that the stats are set wrong, so it's actually damage 4 and not damage 6. So, I've fixed that, thanks!

- Warhog + Large and in charge is huge! (and slow). Might be amusing to have an achievement for this :)

Interesting! I haven't seen that combination. Achievements are actually a super pain to code in, especially as the team only has limited coding ability, so we probably won't be doing much in terms of new achievements, as cool as that particular one might be. Drat!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:54:08 am by Pepisolo »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2018, 11:43:33 am »
is it intended for the 2 way missile module to not set of the ,do not use missiles in till you leave this floor for reward, opportunity?. 
I think its fine if it is since there just straight damage and don't do any of the things I actually like to use missiles for.

also I've been wondering I'm on that gold floor I mentioned on mantis (the save puts me back at the start of floor (: ) and I've been wondering if your meant to get gold floors at any persifick floor level normally? as in you cant get one in till floor 3 or you can only get one between floor 3 and 5 ect ect more so I know how to look at them balance wise than anything.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:46:28 am by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2018, 01:09:43 pm »
is it intended for the 2 way missile module to not set of the ,do not use missiles in till you leave this floor for reward, opportunity?. 
I think its fine if it is since there just straight damage and don't do any of the things I actually like to use missiles for.
That's intended. The "no missile" probation only apply to launchers aka weapons that spend missile ammo, same as the missile damage boosts.

[...] I've been wondering if your meant to get gold floors at any persifick floor level normally? as in you cant get one in till floor 3 or you can only get one between floor 3 and 5 ect ect more so I know how to look at them balance wise than anything.
You can't get a gold floor on the 1st floor. That's the only restriction per say. Otherwise, it's just a % chance that the next floor will be golden.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »
That's intended. The "no missile" probation only apply to launchers aka weapons that spend missile ammo, same as the missile damage boosts.

[...] I've been wondering if your meant to get gold floors at any persifick floor level normally? as in you cant get one in till floor 3 or you can only get one between floor 3 and 5 ect ect more so I know how to look at them balance wise than anything.
You can't get a gold floor on the 1st floor. That's the only restriction per say. Otherwise, it's just a % chance that the next floor will be golden.
unless you use the golden ticket (:
was able to rip through that golden floor without much issue but then maybe the warthog really is just that strong even the turrets which I initaly didn't like can be pretty brutal if you invest in the energy storage to have up to 4 or 5 of them.
c.r

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 05:02:49 pm »
The latest patch broke the game for me. I got many red lines when the game first loaded, saying things like could not access to nonexistent rooms and such, and when I try to start a game, it got stuck on the `audacity` line.

I am attaching my log file in case it is useful. Since the game did not actually crash, I dont have a crash log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09nvqrk9ow3tanh/ArcenDebugLog.txt?dl=0

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:49 pm »
Yeah, Chris pushed the build a while back and I didn't check it on Steam for some reason...........doh! I've emailed Chris about it, and hopefully he should be able to fix it soon. Thanks for the report!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk