Author Topic: Starward Rogue -- AuGMENTED testing feedback thread  (Read 35686 times)

Offline Whistler

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Starward Rogue -- AuGMENTED testing feedback thread
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 11:45:02 pm »
2- Keep it like it is, but drastically cut down the upper tier perks duration. Something like 5-10-15min -> 5-7-10min. But is that enough to still be as fun?

Tried a 5-7.5-15 min version. levels 4-6 were still easy but didn't melt instantly, and Terminus killed me, though that was without stacking the tier 3 bonus.  5-7.5-10 with the current bonuses might work and still be a significant buff for a non speedrun.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:13 am »
One extra consideration -- would the math work out better if we used an additive multiplier rather than a multiplier? At the moment, the best solution is looking like cutting the durations of the other two perks to 7.5 and 10 minutes, although that's not ideal. I'm currently investigating other solutions, but none seem viable at the moment.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:36 am »
More on the Zephyr boost, one thing that was happening is that the overspill boost from one floor was getting stacked with the boost for the next floor. I actually kind of liked this behavior, but since I couldn't find a way to represent that extra boost visually, and it is also prone to making the player super OP, I've removed that in the latest build. Now, any existing Zephyr boost is removed before a new one is added. This should tone down the level of OP quite significantly. So, we'll just try that first. Next up would be to perhaps try to get only the duration to extend for the higher tier versions, that's if my latest changes don't do the trick. The next build will be available to test some time next week.

Offline Whistler

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 09:30:39 pm »
More on the Zephyr boost, one thing that was happening is that the overspill boost from one floor was getting stacked with the boost for the next floor. I actually kind of liked this behavior, but since I couldn't find a way to represent that extra boost visually, and it is also prone to making the player super OP, I've removed that in the latest build. Now, any existing Zephyr boost is removed before a new one is added. This should tone down the level of OP quite significantly. So, we'll just try that first. Next up would be to perhaps try to get only the duration to extend for the higher tier versions, that's if my latest changes don't do the trick. The next build will be available to test some time next week.

That sounds pretty good and might be enough.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:21 am »
-Mysterious Circuit: +range circuit doesn't play nice with many of the new weapons. Grabbing two of them probably wasn't my best idea...

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 09:52:54 pm »
-Mysterious Circuit: +range circuit doesn't play nice with many of the new weapons. Grabbing two of them probably wasn't my best idea...

Yeah, range modifies have been a longstanding known problem with many weapons.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:33 pm »
Yeah, range modifies have been a longstanding known problem with many weapons.
Yep, that's why the Railgun Module was modified to be about speed instead of range. I kinda forgot the mystery circuits had it until now though...

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2018, 11:15:51 pm »
Can't you make it, that some weaoins have a fixed range?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:10 am »
Yep, that's why the Railgun Module was modified to be about speed instead of range. I kinda forgot the mystery circuits had it until now though...

Yeah, I think we'd settled on removing all range modifiers since they don't work with weapons that use bullet patterns, and since most of the weapons use bullet patterns, that's a bit of a problem. I'll just remove those range circuits. The whole mysterious circuit stuff needs an overhaul at some point, anyway.

Can't you make it, that some weaoins have a fixed range?

I think at this point, just removing those couple of range boosting items is the best solution otherwise things get a bit confusing if you have to say this weapon has a fixed range and this other one doesn't etc.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 02:53:28 pm »
righhhht so (I'm a bit tired right now sorry in advance if I don't explain this correctly) is the warthogs missile launcher meant to use all your missiles in every shot? if so it should probably be mentioned in the description of the mech it self.

edit just noticed the weapon descriptions in the menu....I don't remember this being there last I played was this introduced post release of the core game? or is my memory just bad?.
still think it would be sensible to mention the launchers unique property's in the selection screen though I feel it would save people some grief and it don't it would be difficult to do.

I'm not convinced by its combat worthiness(the launcher it self) either though I think id rather make a separate thread for that after I've put some real time in with it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:04:11 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 07:20:30 pm »
The missile launcher is okay on my book. The explosion radius increases with the number of missiles as well, if timed right, you could wipe an entire room with it (a small room that is).
#I don't know however if there is a cap to the max damage and explosion radius.
The only problem I have, sometimes the missiles gets blocked by shots, explodes, takes a big amount of the bullets out but does no damage to the boss or enemies behind the bullets.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 07:36:41 pm »
Yeah, the Warthog launcher is pretty darned good actually.

The issue is that it is so very different from every other mech.  All the others, you've got this constant defensive thing, not necessarily good at damaging enemies but good at stopping bullets that are about to hit you, and definitely important for dealing with complicated boss patterns.

The Warthog's launcher though will always use all missiles, so that takes some getting used to.  But you can do BIG damage with it.  It's not so good against some bosses (bring protective consumables instead) but it's true value is in dealing with nasty groups of enemies.  It will take out a huge pile of bullets AND most of the things that were firing them in the first place if used right.   The more missiles you had when firing it, the bigger the blast and the more damage it will do.  It'll also clear out lots of destructible blocks in one shot too.

The best thing to do with the Warthog though is to look for items/perks that can somehow give you more missile refills.   For example, my favorite item when using this mech is that one in the sacrifice room that gives you two missiles when you enter a new room.  That's good item on any mech but it's absolutely fantastic on this guy.   There are perks available when levelling up as well that do things like "10% chance of getting a missile when killing an enemy", that sort of thing, those are great too.

Items that increase max missiles are also good. 

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 07:46:38 pm »
righhhht so (I'm a bit tired right now sorry in advance if I don't explain this correctly) is the warthogs missile launcher meant to use all your missiles in every shot? if so it should probably be mentioned in the description of the mech it self.

Yep, that's its special ability. It might be worth mentioning, yeah. I'll see if we can possibly fit it in.

edit just noticed the weapon descriptions in the menu....I don't remember this being there last I played was this introduced post release of the core game? or is my memory just bad?.
still think it would be sensible to mention the launchers unique property's in the selection screen though I feel it would save people some grief and it don't it would be difficult to do.

That's been there since launch, I'm pretty sure, yeah.

I'm not convinced by its combat worthiness(the launcher it self) either though I think id rather make a separate thread for that after I've put some real time in with it.

It's best for clearing rooms, and also taking down difficult threats. It's not super useful on bosses since it can only take down one phase at a time, but you can use it to skip any problem phases, or just annihilate single phase bosses.

I don't know however if there is a cap to the max damage and explosion radius.

There is a cap, but it's a huge cap that the player will practically probably never hit. I think if you build up to something like 40 max missile capacity, that's the maximum amount of missiles that can be used on one blast. Really at those levels the explosion should probably be clearing floors, heh, but I'm not sure that's a good idea, or even feasible in the engine.

The only problem I have, sometimes the missiles gets blocked by shots, explodes, takes a big amount of the bullets out but does no damage to the boss or enemies behind the bullets.

If the AOE doesn't quite hit the boss then that sounds fine. If that AOE should hit the boss but it doesn't then that might be some kind of bug.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:57 pm »
There is a cap, but it's a huge cap that the player will practically probably never hit. I think if you build up to something like 40 max missile capacity, that's the maximum amount of missiles that can be used on one blast. Really at those levels the explosion should probably be clearing floors, heh, but I'm not sure that's a good idea, or even feasible in the engine.
Challenge accepted. Now I will built a max missile capacity build so I can hit the cap.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:58 pm »
At 42 it should switch in the old version of the Epic Siege's Plasma Cannon from Bionic. With all possible aoe-size buffs.

That cleared floors.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk