Author Topic: Space Invaders  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Space Invaders
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:57:07 pm »
That Invader boss. Nice reference. <3
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Space Invaders
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:03:37 pm »
Thanks.

The Art is what really made it awesome though, Blue & Co should get more credit.
(All I see is this love fest for Pablo's work.)

:P
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:31:45 pm »
He is really hard to beat however in the first stage. The second stage is laughable but the first stage, damn.
All the shots that are fired towards you, I mostly spam my energy weapon at him because I know I won't need it in the second stage.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »
That boss is going to need a Hard mode version, by the way.

Do you want to do it, ptarth?  Or do you want me to do it?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:50:03 pm »
So, since I've fought him so much, he is mostly trivial or I get lazy. I see Misery has the same experience (already, he is a machine). As for changes, I was thinking that once all of the Zamboni variant movements were made, that would make the second stage more interesting. For hard mode, perhaps start spawning additional enemies at the start of the fight that attack along the sides? Amusingly, they could also spawn behind the walls, and thus the player gets a surprise when a fleet comes from the sides.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:57:18 pm »
One thing you could do, inspired by Galaxian:  For some of the enemies in that fight, when they're destroyed, instead they shift to a second form that dive-bombs the player.

That could get amusing.  All sorts of different things you could do here really.

So, you want to make it yourself, then?

And yeah, I didn't find this boss all that hard, but it's above the difficulty level of the floor 1-2 bosses for sure.  It's like a couple of the other bosses like Centrifuge:  intimidating at first, all those metal monsters and the high number of shots can panic the player into taking damage, but the way to dodge that actually isnt tough to do.  It's just a matter of actually realizing it.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 06:59:55 pm »
One thing you could do, inspired by Galaxian:  For some of the enemies in that fight, when they're destroyed, instead they shift to a second form that dive-bombs the player.

That could get amusing.  All sorts of different things you could do here really.

And yeah, I didn't find this boss all that hard, but it's above the difficulty level of the floor 1-2 bosses for sure.  It's like a couple of the other bosses like Centrifuge:  intimidating at first, all those metal monsters and the high number of shots can panic the player into taking damage, but the way to dodge that actually isnt tough to do.  It's just a matter of actually realizing it.
didn't panic me at all(I just fought it for the first time) then again I did have that machine gun that the green envy starts with lots of energy capacity increases so that's probably why. (might I add that I LOVE the sounds effects for that weapon? it sounds freaking good when I'm melting a group of enemy's with it)
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »
Everyone loves the sound effects for that thing :D

People kept saying that, over and over, in that stream I was watching earlier.  That weapon is probably going to be one that people end up sticking with alot, it's very good.   That thing + Big Leaky Battery = tons and tons of extra damage potential in each room.  Energy increasing items, REALLY good for that mech.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:05:30 pm »
Everyone loves the sound effects for that thing :D

People kept saying that, over and over, in that stream I was watching earlier.  That weapon is probably going to be one that people end up sticking with alot, it's very good.   That thing + Big Leaky Battery = tons and tons of extra damage potential in each room.  Energy increasing items, REALLY good for that mech.
yea although that mechs really good in general almost to good I think there just don't seem to be any real down sides to using it.
c.r

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:07:38 pm »

He seems pretty easy really. I usually just fight him in the basic starter mech without upgrades. It actually surprised me that he was put on floor 3+. Wallmaster is sooo much harder than the Invader is.

But, yeah. I'll try to get a hard mode done for it. Right now I'm working on a dual wielding buzzsaw melee attacker and a zombie apocolypse miniboss/boss.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 07:10:14 pm »

He seems pretty easy really. I usually just fight him in the basic starter mech without upgrades. It actually surprised me that he was put on floor 3+. Wallmaster is sooo much harder than the Invader is.

But, yeah. I'll try to get a hard mode done for it. Right now I'm working on a dual wielding buzzsaw melee attacker and a zombie apocolypse miniboss/boss.
that reminds me when I tackled the wall master on my current run I unloaded my machine gun onto him and won in 5 seconds flat amused me quite a bit.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 07:31:41 pm »

Well, the bosses are typically placed according to my own thoughts on them.

Wall master is one where I can sit literally right in front of him and not get hit; I need no distance to dodge his attacks.  Originally, I'd thought that the boss was going to need a buff of some sort or it'd be a pushover, but Chris said otherwise.  As did a few others.

Invader goes higher because the multiple enemies create alot of additional vectors that shots can come from.  In this case they're very straightforward shots, but still, more vectors typically equals higher difficulty, particularly for those players that have trouble following what's going on.  I'm thinking this is why Battleswarm can be alot of trouble to some players, but super easy to others.  Not to mention that the idea of a boss consisting of more than one unit is rare so far.  Only the Warden and Labyrinth break this rule otherwise.  Well, technically Terminus has it's two guardians, but they're almost entirely seperate fights so they dont count.

I do intend on adding a "swarm" boss though, possibly later tonight, been wanting to do that for awhile since the swarm behavior makes for some fun designs.

that reminds me when I tackled the wall master on my current run I unloaded my machine gun onto him and won in 5 seconds flat amused me quite a bit.

Wait, what?  How did it go down that fast?  Which weapon was it, exactly?  Was it that thing the green mech uses?

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 08:57:26 pm »

If you mean the STG, when yiu say §machine gun" than I can say the same. I think the STG is a little too op, more so because it's a starting weapong for TWO mechs. It fires way too fast and strong and can melt through bosses rather quickly. Its funny. But its also op.

Offline NichG

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:21 am »
I fought this guy with a Phaser and found I could basically be totally safe behind the walls and just kill everything as it approached the side. Might be a bit of a rare situation, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 01:02:26 am »
,in responce to misery, yeap now that i have some more clarity it might have been more like 10 seconds but it was still pretty gosh darn fast still i dont think its over powered its the mech it self with that even better than ususl main gun as well cause yea know he realy needed that! honestly I'm starting to think that mechs a bit to good for his own well...good(shit gramar i know but i realy cant of any better way to prashe that) red shif as the same secondary and and it dosent get any were near that level of powerfull.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk