Author Topic: Reaper boss might be a tad OP  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Reaper boss might be a tad OP
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:59 pm »
During this fight, you should be sprinting literally the entire time.

Keep in mind that even the Redshift mech still needs to be moving fast when it DOES move.  Otherwise the time-stop wont mean anything against a speedy foe.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »
I'm going to have to go find myself a Reaper, because we can't be talking about the same boss. He's literally a free kill!
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »
Uh yeah, no. As I thought, he's still a free kill. Link to Youtube video.

Offline steelwing

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 06:56:10 pm »
Uh yeah, no. As I thought, he's still a free kill. Link to Youtube video.
....... O.O You made him slow down!  :o How did you make him slow down?!  I'm completely serious in asking this question.  He's, like, half the speed he was moving at when I last played him.  What power-ups did you have, what weapons were you using.  I saw you were using the green mech, does that have a buff for "enemies slow down" built-in?  Or were you on a different difficulty level?  I'm already playing on Easy...
I swear, I'm completely serious, not even joking a bit.  He's WAY faster than what that video showed when I've fought him.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:58:31 pm by steelwing »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 07:18:30 pm »
....... O.O You made him slow down!  :o How did you make him slow down?!  I'm completely serious in asking this question.  He's, like, half the speed he was moving at when I last played him.  What power-ups did you have, what weapons were you using.  I saw you were using the green mech, does that have a buff for "enemies slow down" built-in?  Or were you on a different difficulty level?  I'm already playing on Easy...
I swear, I'm completely serious, not even joking a bit.  He's WAY faster than what that video showed when I've fought him.
Do you have the ability to record? You could use a trial version of Bandicam or Open Broadcaster or something. Because I can agree that if he's too fast, he would indeed be ridiculously difficult.

I did not have any upgrades that reduced neither shot speed nor enemy movement speed. I did probably have about +60% damage on my main gun though. As you can see, I was also constantly sprinting. Oh, and it was on Normal difficulty.
Can you play on Normal and see if the Reaper acts better? He might actually be bugged for Easy. I've also noticed he has pretty poor acceleration but decent top speed. He CAN move pretty fast given the chance, but it takes him a while to get there, and if you change position he never really gets the chance to get up to speed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:21:52 pm by Mánagarmr »

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 07:28:47 pm »
It might be that you're circling too much, Steelwing. Try baiting out the lash attack, then moving. This makes him way easier, I think. I can easily lower the speed on this guy, but lots of people say that he's pretty easy, so I'm not sure. I'll test the guy on the different difficulty levels to make sure it's not a bug or something. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline steelwing

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 07:36:22 pm »
Do you have the ability to record? You could use a trial version of Bandicam or Open Broadcaster or something. Because I can agree that if he's too fast, he would indeed be ridiculously difficult.

I did not have any upgrades that reduced neither shot speed nor enemy movement speed. I did probably have about +60% damage on my main gun though. As you can see, I was also constantly sprinting. Oh, and it was on Normal difficulty.
Can you play on Normal and see if the Reaper acts better? He might actually be bugged for Easy. I've also noticed he has pretty poor acceleration but decent top speed. He CAN move pretty fast given the chance, but it takes him a while to get there, and if you change position he never really gets the chance to get up to speed.

I'll get a screen recorder app installed (if I don't already have one) and try on Normal difficulty.  Either my perceptions are way off and he's moving at the same speed as when I played him (in which case my reflexes and skills are just that bad and I need to play more), or he really IS that much faster (in which case I'll have something to put on Mantis).

It might be that you're circling too much, Steelwing. Try baiting out the lash attack, then moving. This makes him way easier, I think. I can easily lower the speed on this guy, but lots of people say that he's pretty easy, so I'm not sure. I'll test the guy on the different difficulty levels to make sure it's not a bug or something. Thanks for the feedback.
I guess I could be circling too much, but I was usually left feeling like I couldn't circle fast enough.  What do you mean by "baiting out the lash attack"?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:44 pm »
I guess I could be circling too much, but I was usually left feeling like I couldn't circle fast enough.  What do you mean by "baiting out the lash attack"?
He means staying in front of the Reaper so the "Scythes" are properly aligned to allow you to fire inbetween them. Of course, always be vigilant and move backwards as to not get caught and remember the timing of his gun attack. It does have a period of refire. Try to not be in front of it when the reload time's up.

But most important, try on Normal and then Easy and see if you can see a disparaty in it's movement speed. I'm still not convinced it's not a bug. Once we rule out if it's a bug or not, you can start feeling you need more practice or feel vindicated! ^^

Offline steelwing

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 11:58:35 pm »
He means staying in front of the Reaper so the "Scythes" are properly aligned to allow you to fire inbetween them. Of course, always be vigilant and move backwards as to not get caught and remember the timing of his gun attack. It does have a period of refire. Try to not be in front of it when the reload time's up.

But most important, try on Normal and then Easy and see if you can see a disparaty in it's movement speed. I'm still not convinced it's not a bug. Once we rule out if it's a bug or not, you can start feeling you need more practice or feel vindicated! ^^
Well, I've tried 3 runs on Normal, and I didn't see Reaper in a single one of them before I died. :P  There was a significant lack of missiles in the last run I played, though.  I think I found ONE missile anywhere.  Of course, I only made it to the second floor.  Then Crystal Mother killed me.  I kept running in to her shots. >:P

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 12:50:22 am »
You can practice fighting him by using the mod tools. From main menu select mods, then from the Test Chamber list select MinibossReaper
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline steelwing

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 02:34:57 am »
The results of my testing:  https://youtu.be/lF_Ra6Q51hQ  Anyone know if the Reaper was changed within the last day at all?  Because he's moving noticeably slower.  Seriously, he was much faster than this the last time I fought him.
In the test chamber, at least, he's behaving the way he should.  I can beat him on Easy now, mostly because of how much more HP I've got to absorb the shots I can't seem to sprint around.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 03:00:15 am »
Is that video sped up? The game seemed much faster than when I play it.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:16 am »
The results of my testing:  https://youtu.be/lF_Ra6Q51hQ  Anyone know if the Reaper was changed within the last day at all?  Because he's moving noticeably slower.  Seriously, he was much faster than this the last time I fought him.
In the test chamber, at least, he's behaving the way he should.  I can beat him on Easy now, mostly because of how much more HP I've got to absorb the shots I can't seem to sprint around.

Reaper definitely hasn't been touched for a while. Not since just after launch, I don't think. Not by me, anyway, and I don't think anybody else has tweaked him. I'm thinking of putting his movement speed down a little, though. If there are no objections I'll put his movement speed down a bit, anyway, just to make him a bit easier.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:02 am »

No that looks like proper speed. The problem I see is that you are too close and travelling in circles instead of straight lines away from the Reaper. I can't actually tell if it's faster. The room seems smaller, somehow. What's your screen resolution?

Offline steelwing

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 10:56:49 am »
The game itself was the same speed as it's always been.  I didn't see any settings to speed up the video.

No that looks like proper speed. The problem I see is that you are too close and travelling in circles instead of straight lines away from the Reaper. I can't actually tell if it's faster. The room seems smaller, somehow. What's your screen resolution?
The maximized game window is 1024x969 (monitor minus the height of my taskbar).  The video is scaled down to about 2/3.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk