Author Topic: Just tried Hard Mode...  (Read 55351 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Just tried Hard Mode...
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2016, 10:29:10 pm »
Blaze cannons are fun too.

So I need to buff them then, is that what you're saying?

I'll do it, too.  You just see if I don't.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2016, 03:51:13 am »
Blaze cannons are fun too.

So I need to buff them then, is that what you're saying?

I'll do it, too.  You just see if I don't.

Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 05:13:36 am »
well, I meant they're more !!fun!! really. They're a pain in the ass in tight spaces but they die pretty fast when you get close to them. There's other stuff I find harder to deal with though. Flak Launchers must burn in hell. It'd be fine if they'd die fast. But they don't.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 05:41:28 am »
Flak Launchers wont seem as bad once the next update finally hits.

Not because they'll get nerfed or anything, nope.   Just because there'll be something much worse to compare them to. 

Actually I think the Flak Launchers though will have more HP when the update hits, so there's that too.  You're welcome.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:09 am »
hahaha that's just mean. They're already one of the hardest ones to kill. Heck, even most minibosses are easier to kill.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 07:11:42 am »
Minibosses honestly could use a bit of a boost in a general sense.  Arcoris is fine, that one's difficulty rises properly over the course of the game, and Hunter is fine too (mostly), but the others tend to start out a bit easy, and stay that way.

They're not my design though, so I wont make any changes to them myself.  That's all up to Pepisolo, he's the one that did the minibosses.  He's busy with other aspects right now though that are more important/pressing.

Enemies like the Flak Launcher are indeed meant to be very hard though.  They're categorized as "Fearsomes" in the game engine, and are designed to be the most dangerous things that aren't full bosses.  Normal Demesne is probably the easiest to beat of that group; it's job is mostly just to complicate everything else, it's not very threatening once you've gotten rid of it's nearby allies.  The others tend to just be designed to kill you.

The funny thing is, the Flak Launcher wasn't originally categorized that way.  Originally, very early in development, I had misjudged it's difficulty (which is normal for me) and had it categorized as something much lower, a mid-level Wanderer (fairly common enemy type) if I recall correctly.  I thought "this thing isn't too tough, this should do".  Chris went "NOPE no no, nada, no sir" and upped it to Fearsome, which gave me an idea as to how far NOT to go, heh. 

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 10:46:22 am »
My bad on the miniboss difficulty front. I'm slowly getting there. I recently improved the base version of Paragon.

Reaper has Hard and Misery mode versions. Check out the Misery mode one, Reaper does a scythe spin attack.
Tri and Hunter also have Hard and Misery mode versions, although the base version of Tri is maybe still a bit easy.
Bastille needs a little work. Arcoris needs Hard and Misery versions.

I'll try to get a lot more work into these before the next patch.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:29 pm »
oh no worries. I wouldn't even know how to begin with making enemies and minibosses more difficult, yet keeping them balanced at the same time. I'm just a gamer.

Reaper is definitely the hardest one and the most fun one to play right now.
Still, it feels like most of them are a balanced challenge in the early game but lose their edge in the late game. Arcoris seems to have solved that problem by simply having more of them (going to be fun once they have a hard pattern). Couldn't something similar like that be done for the others as well? Like from floor 5 and up all the minibosses appear with doubles. Or a slightly different version added with the regular, in case simply cloning them seems too cheesy a solution. I have no idea what that would be like, but could be fun to experiment with.
Unless you already have better ideas in which case just ignore me :P

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2016, 04:42:07 pm »
oh no worries. I wouldn't even know how to begin with making enemies and minibosses more difficult, yet keeping them balanced at the same time. I'm just a gamer.

Reaper is definitely the hardest one and the most fun one to play right now.
Still, it feels like most of them are a balanced challenge in the early game but lose their edge in the late game. Arcoris seems to have solved that problem by simply having more of them (going to be fun once they have a hard pattern). Couldn't something similar like that be done for the others as well? Like from floor 5 and up all the minibosses appear with doubles. Or a slightly different version added with the regular, in case simply cloning them seems too cheesy a solution. I have no idea what that would be like, but could be fun to experiment with.
Unless you already have better ideas in which case just ignore me :P

Yeah, harder variants for the higher floors is something I'm looking at. Or going to look at, but I never seem to get around to it, heh. I think Toxic Reaper is a variant I'm going to be adding. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk