Author Topic: Love the name! :D  (Read 15970 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: Love the name! :D
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2015, 04:47:31 pm »
I'm really tempted to put a forum "censoring" rule in place that changes "séance" to "sense (in a spooky kind of way)" haha.
Hey, wait! How would French people be able to speak about "faire une séance d'AI War"? How will we be able to coordinate on the AI War Meeting Grounds?? You're killing your French community! Argl!

I wouldn't actually do it!  My wife would know, but: what does séance mean in French?
Oh. "Séance"? Hem. Wordreference? Anything to say? "Session, sitting; performance in theater". Why thank you, wordreference. You're a nice pal indeed.

It's often used for cinema, in the daily life. One can ask a friend "when is the next séance of film N?". It's relatively rare outside of this. It would be a little bit awkward to propose a friend to have a "séance" of a game. We use "partie", for game sessions. While I'm talking about that, I often find myself in trouble when I want to talk about a session of play instead of the game by itself. How to say "It was a nice... ??game??" if I want to speak about the last session of play I'm just out of? The French word "partie" mean this; it's a general word that mean "part of something" and is used in gaming to say just that: "session of play".
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:24 pm »
I'm really tempted to put a forum "censoring" rule in place that changes "séance" to "sense (in a spooky kind of way)" haha.
Hey, wait! How would French people be able to speak about "faire une séance d'AI War"? How will we be able to coordinate on the AI War Meeting Grounds?? You're killing your French community! Argl!

I wouldn't actually do it!  My wife would know, but: what does séance mean in French?
It directly translates to "session", but its English language usage refers to a group meeting to communicate with the spirit world. :D

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »
It directly translates to "session", but its English language usage refers to a group meeting to communicate with the spirit world. :D
Example usage: "AI: if you want to court martial the commander of that last attack, try a séance."
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »
Yep, interested rather than interesting.  Also sense instead of séance. ;)
I don't know what your talking about I never put séance instead of sense I never get my grammar wrong at all.(I totally didn't have to edit anything I promise)

Actually, you do this all of the time and it drives me insane. :D
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2015, 06:18:57 pm »
Yep, interested rather than interesting.  Also sense instead of séance. ;)
I don't know what your talking about I never put séance instead of sense I never get my grammar wrong at all.(I totally didn't have to edit anything I promise)

Actually, you do this all of the time and it drives me insane. :D
0_0 what are you talking about my grammars perfect!.(and you totally never sent me a message criticising my grammar)
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk