Author Topic: Has anybody been able to find a secret room in 1.0+?  (Read 11676 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Has anybody been able to find a secret room in 1.0+?
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:11:24 pm »
Not that I have been able to find many before :P.
But now the after-floor stats always tell me how much rooms I missed - even if I am fairly sure to have blown up each and every blinking blockade (i.e. block only destructible by missle).

Am I missing something.
Or is something awry?
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Has anybody been able to find a secret room in 1.0+?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:13:54 pm »
I never knew the trick for them.. I was randomly shooting missiles where doors would be. 
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:15:22 pm »
I never knew the trick for them.. I was randomly shooting missiles where doors would be.
Did you ever succeed that way?
IIRC the only secret room I ever found was accessed by an extra teleporter in the room...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:17:23 pm »
I *think* there might be a bug with the secret rooms right now.

I had the perk that shows the sacrifice rooms, but.... it didn't show any.  I know how to find them, so I went and checked *every* room to make sure on that floor (and on pretty much every floor that run) and never found one.  They didn't seem to be generating.  Iv'e never seen it do that before.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 05:21:58 pm »
I lucked out once with rocketman active, although that was connected to a shop (which was fixed...)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 05:25:38 pm »
OK guys, thanks.
I mantised the issue here.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 05:25:50 pm »

The game will no longer seed secret rooms "from" shop, item, miniboss, secret, starting, or condemned rooms to avoid doors that look like they go to nowhere, or cannot be revealed.
Fixed a longstanding bug where secret rooms were requiring a 2x2 free space on the grid instead of 1x1. 

Was the last change to secret rooms
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 05:27:01 pm »
Just ran a test and there was a secret room on the first floor and I was able to reveal the door by missile'ing it. The other means is to blow up a health-shard-dropping block and it's supposed to reveal any hidden doors in the room, not sure if that's working.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »
Just ran a test and there was a secret room on the first floor and I was able to reveal the door by missile'ing it. The other means is to blow up a health-shard-dropping block and it's supposed to reveal any hidden doors in the room, not sure if that's working.
So missling walls is actually the trick ???.
Sad times for my missle budget :-\.

Or is there some kind of visual hint to look out for?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 05:42:33 pm »
Not in the room, but you can probably narrow it down from the minimap geometry.

We should probably show the number of secret rooms on the floor while you're still there. It currently tells you after you leave the floor, just after the nick of time.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 05:43:33 pm »

I think that might need looking at; I collect health shards super obsessively, because shiny things, but I've yet to have a hidden door open as a result.

I've also found secret rooms that are attached to rooms that dont actually have any health shard blocks in them, I dunno if that's a bug or not.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 05:45:50 pm »
Not in the room, but you can probably narrow it down from the minimap geometry.

We should probably show the number of secret rooms on the floor while you're still there. It currently tells you after you leave the floor, just after the nick of time.

1x1 squares are everywhere in the map though  ::)

Have it pop up after you down the floor boss :)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 05:52:04 pm »
Have it pop up after you down the floor boss :)
Good idea ;D.
Or maybe at least reveal their locations, but still require a missle to open?
That way the player still does not get those for free...

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 05:55:07 pm »
Well, in theory, having it pop up from destroying a health shard block in an adjacent room should already make it not too tough to find now; just from watching other people play the game, I've noticed that alot of them will tend to break those blocks whenever possible once they find out what's inside them.   And if you're getting good missile drops it's not too hard to clear out every single one of those blocks on a floor.  And the items in the secret rooms are totally worth going after. 

About the health shards though.... something extra to add to them:  when you collect enough to bump your HP up, your HP also refills.    Or something like that (maybe fills halfway?).   Does that sound like a good idea, or a bloody horrible one?

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »
About the health shards though.... something extra to add to them:  when you collect enough to bump your HP up, your HP also refills.    Or something like that (maybe fills halfway?).   Does that sound like a good idea, or a bloody horrible one?
I think that would be a good extra incentive to go after them.
Missles can get fairly precious after all...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk