Author Topic: Feedback Request: Store description and key features  (Read 10368 times)

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
Feedback Request: Store description and key features
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:16:25 pm »
Starward Rogue
A roguelite labyrinth lodged in the side of a star.  Dodge gorgeous waves of bullets, claim weapons and upgrades, defeat The Warden, and rescue... Rodney?

Key Features
* Roguelike catacombs that evolve and expand with each of your successes.
* Hundreds of items, enemies and rooms, and dozens of epic boss fights.
* Fully playable with keyboard+mouse or gamepad.
* 5 difficulty levels range from "Relatively Easy" to "Nigh Impossible."
* Play as a "head in a mech" harvested from the neck of everyone's favorite Hydral (don't ask).
* Unlock the secrets of The Megalith, a massive structure lodged into the side of a star, as you lose many heads.
* Figure out what happened to Rodney, an AI redshirt of uncertain motives.
* Over-the-top mod support.  Detailed wiki on creating your own enemies, weapons, bosses, rooms, and more.
* Secrets!  Among them hidden "incredibilities" that massively change the way the game plays.
* Varied mech suits: dipole magnetism, time control, and more.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:43:07 pm by cupogoodness »

Offline donblas

• Newbie Mark III
Re: Feedback Request: Store description and key features
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:59:26 pm »
- In the key features and description, might want to add more about type of game. Shoot them up, bullet hell, whatever term you want.
- I don't love "Play YOUR way".

Beyond that, I think it is reasonable.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:58:38 pm »
I'd rather avoid the word SHMUP, to be honest, because I think it will scare a lot of people.  I think they'll get an idea of that being an influence just by looking at the screens and videos.  I don't think anyone will see the text in isolation from those.  That said, yeah, I was thinking that something along the lines of those would be good.

And noted about play your way.  Removing that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Endymion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 06:08:06 pm »
* Equal emphasis on keyboard+mouse players and gamepad players.
Somehow that sounds a bit weird, they could both be horrible but still have equal emphasis on them and the fact that it needed emphasis on it might make me doubt the validity of the claim and even realize that it could be a problem. Also there is a Full/Partial Controller Support thing to the right so not sure how important is it to list it as a feature.

Just saying something like "Fully playable with keyboard+mouse or gamepad" would be a more normal way of saying it.

* 5 difficulty levels range from "any gamer can play" to "almost nobody can win."
Wow a difficulty that allows me to play the game if I'm a gamer :P, I think something like "5 difficulty levels that range from "Relatively Easy" to "Extremely Challenging"." might be better and feel more neutral and inclusive and not sound like it's telling who can play and who not.

* Over-the-top mod support.  Detailed wiki on creating your own enemies, weapons, bosses, rooms, and more.
Will that include steam workshop support or some other system for finding, installing and releasing mods?
I'm making videogames! You can read more about whatever I'm doing here

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 06:16:57 pm »
Okay, updates made.  In terms of the steam workshop support, not at this time.  We'll be curating some mods and including them if the modders approve and the quality is high enough.  Beyond that we need to figure out a system, but don't have time prior to release.  We have to see if people bite anyhow.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:27 pm »
Alternatively, "5 difficulty levels that range from "Relatively Easy" to "Nigh Impossible"."

The whole idea of a "mathematically impossible" difficulty really excites people for some reason.

Offline Kingpin23

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:19 pm »
Did some play tests today and first thing i noticed you had to press a button to walk slow.
Playing with gamepad with analog sticks it felt weird you couldnt walk slow with slighty pushing the stick one way. But i understand making this choice if you play with keyboard,

Just noticed i placed it in the wrong thread. Have to play some more to see if I can get used to these controls anyway
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:59:32 pm by Kingpin23 »

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »
Elevator pitch: It's Binding of Isaac.. in space!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:56:45 pm »
hey so its literally  3 days from release so Chris do you think the games ready? just curious really I think its pretty much ready there's a couple of things but nothing crazy that comes to mind.
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:10:19 pm »
I think it is ready 8from my point of view) but it would be cool if they add another mech or two.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 10:55:03 pm »
I think it is ready 8from my point of view) but it would be cool if they add another mech or two.
theres still 2 slots left so I get the feeling that there's meant to be.(and will probably be added in before the release)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 03:47:15 pm »
I added two little bullet points on there at the end, and tweaked the wording.  I'm not 100% sure on the order of those items just yet.

In terms of this being ready to release: yeah, I definitely think so.  There are things that we want to clean up still, and that we are between now and launch.  And yes we're having a full 6 mechs (#5 was added last night).  But it's definitely a game ready to see wider viewing now. :)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 03:54:41 pm »
The description looks fine and fitting to me now!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:57:11 pm by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 05:27:17 pm »
I added two little bullet points on there at the end, and tweaked the wording.  I'm not 100% sure on the order of those items just yet.

In terms of this being ready to release: yeah, I definitely think so.  There are things that we want to clean up still, and that we are between now and launch.  And yes we're having a full 6 mechs (#5 was added last night).  But it's definitely a game ready to see wider viewing now. :)
glad to hear that I bet you must be pretty anxious right now considering how important this game is.
c.r

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »
In terms of this being ready to release: yeah, I definitely think so.  There are things that we want to clean up still, and that we are between now and launch.  And yes we're having a full 6 mechs (#5 was added last night).  But it's definitely a game ready to see wider viewing now.

Hey Chris -- I agree that the game's in good shape, but please address the new mouse behavior introduced 2 patches ago. Is this on purpose? It hugely changes the feel of the game (for the worse IMO).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk