Author Topic: Great game but you need way more items  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Great game but you need way more items
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »
They seemed REALLY common before.  Heck, Chris had commented in an email about that, said that he was kinda tired of seeing weapons basically everywhere; I'd agreed with him as at that point (like, a couple days ago?) they seemed just everywhere.  Now I just am not finding them.  Even the actual weapon shops often have upgrades instead of the weapons themselves.   They were appearing the most often though in the actual item rooms.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 05:25:19 pm »
For 1.008:

* In an effort to make sure you actually see the various items we worked so hard to make, and to make getting loot more exciting:
** Your base chance to get loot after winning a room is the same, but each time you fail the roll it goes up for next time until it succeeds.
** When room-win loot would give you a consumable item (as opposed to a minor item), at various intervals it will instead give you a main-weapon, energy-weapon, or power-up item. Those intervals are randomized but controlled to ensure some rate of each.
** When seeding from many of the significant item pools, the game's now fairly aggressive about not seeding the same thing more than once when there are still things that haven't been seeded. When it runs out of choices under this rule it starts over for that (group of) pools.
** When you open an unlocked chest, you have a small chance of getting loot from the locked-chest pool. If this roll fails the chance goes up for next time until it succeeds.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 06:47:19 pm »
I've barely seen any weapons at all recently.  Keep hearing that from people too.  Did the item pools get changed around at all maybe?  I really dont know.
My main question is: where did you use to see them that you don't see them now?

I was originally sourcing alternative weapons from weapon shops, the bonus pickup locations (small room with free item in the middle), and a couple of times from secret rooms.  The weapons I do end up using at Floor 5 comes from either an early bonus or a secret room.
 Lately the weapon shops and free pickups were seeding more bonuses and consumables instead, and also I don't see a weapon shop on every floor anymore.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »
you know I think I hold the record at not ever having discovered a secret room(apart from the perk cheat) despite having tested from alpha I'm really rather amused by this. (and before someone points it out yes I'm aware that they weren't in the game for a good long while I'm just amused by this is all)
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »
If you try to seek out a certain type of thing, you'll start finding secret rooms.  You dont have to blast walls anymore.

Though... I'm finding that occaisionally a secret room will just open itself.    I do know why, it just seems kinda silly  nonetheless.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 07:23:00 pm »
Though... I'm finding that occaisionally a secret room will just open itself.    I do know why, it just seems kinda silly  nonetheless.
It was part of the 1.006 change:
** Also, now when you enter a room bordering an unknown secret room, and the room you're entering has no heath-shard blocks (that normally reveal the secret when you blow them up, if there is one to reveal), it tries to convert a normal bombable block to one of those.
*** If it fails to do that, it just reveals the secret room(s).

So it wouldn't be bad for our peaceful room scripts to all have at least one bombable block in them.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »
If you try to seek out a certain type of thing, you'll start finding secret rooms.  You dont have to blast walls anymore.

Though... I'm finding that occasionally a secret room will just open itself.    I do know why, it just seems kinda silly  nonetheless.
if your talking about the.
Spoiler for Hiden:
the method with health shards I already do that but apparently there was a bug with that so ill just wait and see if I finally manage to break my record
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 07:29:15 pm »

Though... I'm finding that occasionally a secret room will just open itself.    I do know why, it just seems kinda silly  nonetheless.
if your talking about the.
Spoiler for Hiden:
the method with health shards I already do that but apparently there was a bug with that so ill just wait and see if I finally manage to break my record

It seems to be working now.  I found like 5 of the things in an earlier run.  Though, this alerted me to a different possible balance issue, but that's another story.

It was part of the 1.006 change:
** Also, now when you enter a room bordering an unknown secret room, and the room you're entering has no heath-shard blocks (that normally reveal the secret when you blow them up, if there is one to reveal), it tries to convert a normal bombable block to one of those.
*** If it fails to do that, it just reveals the secret room(s).

So it wouldn't be bad for our peaceful room scripts to all have at least one bombable block in them.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea to me.

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »
For 1.008:

* In an effort to make sure you actually see the various items we worked so hard to make, and to make getting loot more exciting:
** Your base chance to get loot after winning a room is the same, but each time you fail the roll it goes up for next time until it succeeds.
** When room-win loot would give you a consumable item (as opposed to a minor item), at various intervals it will instead give you a main-weapon, energy-weapon, or power-up item. Those intervals are randomized but controlled to ensure some rate of each.
** When seeding from many of the significant item pools, the game's now fairly aggressive about not seeding the same thing more than once when there are still things that haven't been seeded. When it runs out of choices under this rule it starts over for that (group of) pools.
** When you open an unlocked chest, you have a small chance of getting loot from the locked-chest pool. If this roll fails the chance goes up for next time until it succeeds.

Sounds a little too aggressive, Keith. This can easily result in too much loot being given out. The main thing is not repeating loot.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 08:36:56 pm »

Question:  Do secret rooms attach to where doorways are in the builder or can they show up in irregular places?
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Darloth

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 11:53:20 am »
Sounds a little too aggressive, Keith. This can easily result in too much loot being given out. The main thing is not repeating loot.

While I'm sure you could have too much loot, it's certainly not there yet.

Variety is fun, and quantity is also fun.  It's fun building up an amazing build with all sorts of bonuses that can blast through lots of enemies... especially because the game is also happy to give you lots of enemies that need to be shot.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »

Question:  Do secret rooms attach to where doorways are in the builder or can they show up in irregular places?
They use the same rules for where they can attach. But they can't go next to a boss room, a shop room, an item room, an "obstacle" (miniboss/condemned) room, a start-of-floor room, or another secret room.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 12:32:55 pm »

They use the same rules for where they can attach. But they can't go next to a boss room, a shop room, an item room, an "obstacle" (miniboss/condemned) room, a start-of-floor room, or another secret room.

I remember the limitations imposed by one of the secret room fixes.  My concern was more or less basic rooms such as the ones I submitted.  Since my rooms are essentially corridors, I need not worry about adjusting them :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk