Author Topic: Feedback on a couple of room designs  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Vacuity

• Full Member Mark II
Feedback on a couple of room designs
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:20:19 am »
There are a few room designs where the player and the enemy ships can never reach one another.  Most of the time, this isn't a major issue, but there are a couple of rooms that make me frown because it feels unfair.  Unfair?  Yes, sometimes they drop minor loot.  Sometimes they drop minor loot I really, really need!

My first screenshot is of a miniboss room, and it dropped some kind of serious loot.  And I couldn't reach that loot.  Cue serious dismay!

My second screenshot is of a room where a mini shuttle (or something like that) had spawned in one of the unreachable spots.  This was very silly, as that particular enemy cannot shoot, so I eliminated him at leisure.  In this case, I don't feel it's particularly unfair that I cannot reach the loot dropped by the shuttle as the shuttle was absolutely no threat at all.  Perhaps only enemies that can shoot out of these spots should spawn in them.  Is that possible to design?  If one of the other enemies had dropped something useful, I'd probably have felt a little dismayed.

My third screenshot is of a room where I felt that the enemy that spawned was a touch unfair.  Given the tiny amount of space to maneuver, that was pretty nasty!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Feedback on a couple of room designs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:36 am »
1 yea that's been a bit of a known issue for quite a while now with that mini boss(I don't think this is a problem with the others but I could be wrong)
2 I really not sure what's meant to be happening in this unless the shuttle is that thing you've clipped into? if so then yea you should probably mantis that
3 from what I've seen the demeves spawning philosophy is that its in tight spaces to pressure you BUT I find if you focus and slow down that she's actually really predictable to dodge granted I may be proven wrong but that's what I think. (so yes I don't think that scenario is unfair I've encountered unfair in this game and that usually ends destroying me(its a particularly hate with a passion if I ever encounter it again ill make a save of it and put it up here for you to see) ps how ever id like to remind you that I've played this game for quite a while so my perceptions probably a little bit warped there
c.r

Offline Vacuity

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:47:03 am »
2 I really not sure what's meant to be happening in this unless the shuttle is that thing you've clipped into? if so then yea you should probably mantis that
The shuttle's long dead, and dropped all those health shards inside the space to my left inside all the arrows.  I'm pretty sure that whoever designed this room will understand what I'm talking about immediately.  Maybe?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:26:55 am »
The bug with the miniboss item thing is a known one.  Annoying, but known.  I have no idea what causes it, some internal thing probably.

The second room.... is a bit odd, yes?  I'm sure the room designers had their reasons.  Maybe it's almost more of a shooting gallery kind of idea?  I have no idea.

The third room, while I do think that "fearsome" type foes (which that thing is categorized as) should not spawn in tiny rooms, it's still not an undodgable situation; I'm too careful in my designs for that.  In that exact situation, you do have plenty of room to get through the blue wall, and then dodge the purple shots; from there, you have time to quickly sprint away from the thing to get to a better firing position.

But yes, Fearsome types and Chaos Adders shouldnt appear too much in small rooms.  Usually.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:59 am »
I have several rooms that are like the second.  They were made prior to enemy creators starting having enemies drop loot.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk