Author Topic: Feedback from SomethingAwful forums  (Read 9565 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Feedback from SomethingAwful forums
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 03:19:23 pm »
  • I think 2 wide corridors through the caltrop forests would be better. Perhaps something that self destructs all caltrops once you clear a room. Except for puzzle rooms that weren't solved.
  • The black on black caltrops are still really hard to see. Perhaps make them fires?
  • The hitbox on the napalm should be checked.
  • The smallest shards of the exploding room thingies should do no damage and get destroyed when you walk through them.
  • Enemy density per room should be calculated and some rooms needs to have lowered enemy quantity.
  • Enemies categories should be expanded and some enemies need to be reclassified or have weapon changes.

Part of the uniqueness about SR is that is combines all of the elements from the different genres, but doesn't force you to deal with them. If there is an annoying trap chest maze, most of the time you can skip it and move on with life.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
You can still sit in the upper right and nuke Invader without getting hit.

This has been a problem with more than a few bosses.

This is why I stuck those purple rear-firing shots onto Mirror and a couple of others.  To say, no, you're not standing behind the thing or to it's side, go figure out something else. 

Typically that's the way to get rid of safe spots.  Just constantly smack them with stuffs.

People being mean to Invader

You guys be nice to baby!   :'( >D

Why does the crying icon look like he is a weight lifter flexing his pecs instead?

More seriously, the laser had a couple of good ideas behind it.
  • It acts as a keep back device. With the zamboni movement, there is a big tendency to either try to get behind Invader (and thus immune to most of its pain) or to get to the upper right (where you can shoot it and kill the spawning invaders). The laser encourages you to keep your distance. A ring of fire or whatever would achieve the same effect, but this is a unique weapon.
  • Weapon diversity. There are no mainline enemies that uses the laser weapon. I'm trying to change that.
  • Misery & Pepicolo were suppose to add this awesome animation as a cue to make it more obvious. The cue time is 1 second right now, but the cue blends in too easily. It doesn't come out of no where. It fries you as soon as you get close. Also, Misery and Pepicolo didn't know they were supposed to add the animation. I've been trying to make one in between snakes and the day of the dead (and now lightning), but I haven't gotten anything yet.
  • Position. The idea was that the Invader creates a ball of energy between its mandibles and then launches the laser at you. The mandible placement is okay, but without the animation, it isn't quite working.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "animation".

Far as I'm concerned, "animation" means "drown the player in bullets".  That, I can do.  It'd be a hard-to-miss warning.  Maybe have Pepisolo do it...

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 03:46:21 pm »

This is why I stuck those purple rear-firing shots onto Mirror and a couple of others.  To say, no, you're not standing behind the thing or to it's side, go figure out something else. 

Typically that's the way to get rid of safe spots.  Just constantly smack them with stuffs.

That's why I suggest a P2.  Otherwise, fighting it as intended would look like a game of pong.

Mirror? You mean get real close and stare it in the eyes (and make out) Mirror?  If I get any close to Mirror, our hit boxes will collide.  Every time I look into the Mirror, it breaks.  I'm so sad.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »

Like a big FU laser.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "animation".

Not sure if you are serious, but the cue_particle (or whatever). Something like a circle of light that increases in size and color density for 750 milliseconds before the laser attack shoots out. Baby says, "Not so close".
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:32 pm »

That's why I suggest a P2.  Otherwise, fighting it as intended would look like a game of pong.

Mirror? You mean get real close and stare it in the eyes (and make out) Mirror?  If I get any close to Mirror, our hit boxes will collide.  Every time I look into the Mirror, it breaks.  I'm so sad.

Ah, yeah, it's possible to get pretty darned close to Mirror, aint it....  I've managed to crash right into it more than a few times (no, I dont know how).  I've considered adding more to it, but... the version that most people are seeing is an early-game boss.  Not really meant to be too tough at all.   

For Invader, I would not be opposed to simply having a second phase on it.  Let it do it's own fighting during that; maybe have an invincible minion or something floating around and assisting, I dunno.  As it's not my design I'd prefer not to be the one to make that part.  But it'd solve the current problems.  As there IS, right now, one other issue than just the beam thing:  If you outrange the beam and have a high enough fire rate, you can literally just stand totally still, in front of it, and just keep firing, and it cant do anything.   So that's another problem.

Like a big FU laser.

Pretty much.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 05:36:21 pm »
I don't use the d pad to move against mirror so my ups and downs are pure up and down.  No chance to mess it up.

Invader: It's pretty much what I'm going up in the right corner, only it is a bit easier to kill the new spawns from up there.  It's been said on my stream before, Invader is so cool until you get to that part.  It feels like it's missing half the fight.  It's a bit disappointing... that's what I'm seeing. 

*Breaks out the puppy dog eyes* Please give  Invader a phase 2.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »
Whaddya say, ptarth, you up to doing a second phase for that thing?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 06:40:03 pm »
I'm up for it. I hear we can bounce ideas off of Cinth. I was trying to keep "authentic" with the Space Invaders theme, but I don't have any ideas that work with that right now. The additional spawns on the side are fun, but don't contribute much yet. Ideas?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 06:53:22 pm »
Phase one is the space invaders throwback.  It's 100% made of awesome. 

Has anything been done like Demesne's blue wall in a boss pattern?  OOOOOOO!!!!!!  That the blue wall ability and have it roll out leaving one gap (a bit wider in normal down, tighter up) and have it rotate about 90* or so so the player needs to run in the gap and damage the boss.  That flashes off and the boss uses patterns to push you back to where the blue wall should start up again. 

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »
Has anything been done like Demesne's blue wall in a boss pattern?  OOOOOOO!!!!!!  That the blue wall ability and have it roll out leaving one gap (a bit wider in normal down, tighter up) and have it rotate about 90* or so so the player needs to run in the gap and damage the boss.  That flashes off and the boss uses patterns to push you back to where the blue wall should start up again.

That sounds like it would involve effort.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 07:38:51 pm »

That sounds like it would involve effort.

Good thing ptarth is good with patterns.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 08:07:59 pm »
so before this thread turns into a complete geek out making invaders 2nd phase difficult id like to mention that I really should get round to getting a controller for this thing(laptop I'm not even sure what you need to do that but ill figure it out I guess) to see what this games like with it then maybe I can stop being so a colossal coward all the time.
c.r

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 08:15:25 pm »
Simplest way to get a controller would probably be 'Get a 360 controller for pc', if they're still selling those and not just xbone controllers or something.

Also, how does SA count as declining?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 08:16:13 pm »
We should move the invader shop talk to the modding forum and leave this one to talk about how Cinth is going to evaluate all the rooms by hand and address the rest of the SA comments.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »
We should move the invader shop talk to the modding forum and leave this one to talk about how Cinth is going to evaluate all the rooms by hand and address the rest of the SA comments.

I said you DON'T as in DO NOT want me doing a great culling.  Although, it would cut down a great bit on the total amount of enemies available to kill and thus overall power levels of the players. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk