Author Topic: Big new 0.205 build!  (Read 6680 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Big new 0.205 build!
« on: December 19, 2015, 05:04:25 am »
Release notes: https://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Starward_Rogue:Early_Alpha_Release_Notes#Version_0.205

I'm drastically behind on reading feedback on the forum, but I kept an eye on Mantis.  Keith is off for the holidays until after the new year, so things will slow down on that front.  I have three more working days, as do the artists, so things will slow down there.  Dayton and Misery and Erik will do what they choose to do, being hourly.  Hopefully take some good time off, but I know Dayton is planning on continuing to refine items and so forth during the break some.

Anyway, I had hoped to do a new video today, but I kept having "one more thing" syndrome.  The gamepad work took a lot longer than I expect, but it was really worth it I think.  My hands still aren't used to it, but that's just muscle memory messing me up.

Ability points are a HUGE new part of the game, which create some rewards for even failed runs, and reward both speedrunning and exploration -- differently, but still both.  The GUI for the ability points is really glitchy-looking and to the left of the minimap, partly blocking it.  One of those things I just didn't have time to get to.

Oh, and along with ability points you also now have Deposit Boxes in the shops.  Giving you a way to turn currency into AP.  This doesn't improve the shop in any direct way, unlike in Isaac, but it does let you prepare better for the next run, AND make it more likely that you can unlock some new cool stuff in the starting-a-run room that then will show up in other parts of the game (shops, random drops, item rooms, boss rooms, or whatever they are supposed to do).  I'm pretty pleased with the system, although the actual values for ability point costs needs to be refined for sure.  Right now it's a best first guess.

All right, that's pretty much it for me for the weekend.  Cheers!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: Big new 0.205 build!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 06:37:58 am »
Thanks for the laser sight, that's much better!
I assume the AO system is currently a placeholder/first step for a bigger Upgrade system?
It's rather confusing now, more so because you don't know the exact number of Ap you have. The bar is also a little to high, it hide some off the map.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:01:31 am »
Release notes: https://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Starward_Rogue:Early_Alpha_Release_Notes#Version_0.205

I'm drastically behind on reading feedback on the forum, but I kept an eye on Mantis.  Keith is off for the holidays until after the new year, so things will slow down on that front.  I have three more working days, as do the artists, so things will slow down there.  Dayton and Misery and Erik will do what they choose to do, being hourly.  Hopefully take some good time off, but I know Dayton is planning on continuing to refine items and so forth during the break some.

Anyway, I had hoped to do a new video today, but I kept having "one more thing" syndrome.  The gamepad work took a lot longer than I expect, but it was really worth it I think.  My hands still aren't used to it, but that's just muscle memory messing me up.

Ability points are a HUGE new part of the game, which create some rewards for even failed runs, and reward both speedrunning and exploration -- differently, but still both.  The GUI for the ability points is really glitchy-looking and to the left of the minimap, partly blocking it.  One of those things I just didn't have time to get to.

Oh, and along with ability points you also now have Deposit Boxes in the shops.  Giving you a way to turn currency into AP.  This doesn't improve the shop in any direct way, unlike in Isaac, but it does let you prepare better for the next run, AND make it more likely that you can unlock some new cool stuff in the starting-a-run room that then will show up in other parts of the game (shops, random drops, item rooms, boss rooms, or whatever they are supposed to do).  I'm pretty pleased with the system, although the actual values for ability point costs needs to be refined for sure.  Right now it's a best first guess.

All right, that's pretty much it for me for the weekend.  Cheers!

If you're going to do another video, I strongly recommend doing post-commentary this time.   Just so you can keep up constant talk about the game without having to worry about crashing into stuff or whatever.

Maybe make it a bit longer too?  I kinda thought the first one was a bit too short.  And there's even more content in the game now.

On the rest of the update.....

Okay, it's bound to happen, so someone start telling me why such-and-such enemy is still broken or whatever.  I'm ready for it this time.

On a side note, work on one of the final bosses has begun!  I've had some interesting ideas for this one.

Also I'm not too worried about taking specific time off since Christmas parties arent generally held at 3 in the morning anyway, which is typically around the time I work on this.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:54:21 pm »
over all the new patch is solid although i have to ask has anybody else noticed that your feet's movement animations are super janked  up now?.
c.r

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 01:44:24 am »
over all the new patch is solid although i have to ask has anybody else noticed that your feet's movement animations are super janked  up now?.

Yeah, something's definitely gone wrong there. It's been reported on Mantis, though, should be an easy fix.

Offline Bluddy

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:46:37 pm »
Other than this minor visual bug, the game is really shaping up nicely. I found myself having a harder time stopping to play than I have in the past. I really like the way the blue thingies float towards you after twirling in the air, and the summary after death is good too. Also, the death animation is much better, and I love the pump action on the main guns -- small details like that are really good. I also like the new shootable 'stuff': the high detail makes it seem like it belongs better in the image.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:47 pm »
it just occurred to me that this game is due for release in just over a month god am that went by quick I'm pretty confident judging by the pace of things that this will be ready in time thankfully I don't think arcen really need it to go on for as long as stars has.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk