Author Topic: Anybody else finding two sideshots seeding in a single big room a little much?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
At least on Normal that is.
I think this combo ended up to 3 of my last 5 runs simply by filling the room with bullets - completely.
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Hmm, rooms that have more than one Fearsome type enemy probably need to have them divided up.   Two Fearsomes (which that is) should never be together.  They're designed to be the closest things to bosses without being a boss. 

On Hard, well.... one Sideshot fires twice as many bullets (since it fires in 4 directions at once) alot faster.  Just imagine what two in the same place would do.  Or even worse, one of those and a Flak Launcher.

I havent seen many rooms with this issue, but those few that have it might need a change.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
I had once four in one room and while I fought braveley and defeated two of those, i was defeated anyway. Sideshots definately is one of the nastier normal enemies. He also can take a good beating before giving up, making him even more annoying.
The bad thing aren't really the secondary shots from his main shots. The problem is, the secondary shots track on you and always shoot in your direction. He also spams this attack, filling the room with tiny bullets that are hard to notice and hard to dodge.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Perhaps just a flag on enemies that can say "never put more than one of these in a room."
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Perhaps just a flag on enemies that can say "never put more than one of these in a room."
Sounds good to me. Otherwise reducing its health, at least by a third, might help to mitigate the issue and keep the challenge - although I won't be sorry to never see two of those together again ;)...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I think that keeping them strong and unique is more interesting, honestly.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Your call :).

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
yeah, I'd be against reducing the HP on these; for now, I'll be avoiding that.

Honestly, I think a flag on these isnt really necessary.  I just think the rooms in question should be edited a bit.  So there's things keeping the Fearsomes from coming together.  When you have to fight them one at a time... even if there's small foes around... that's fine. They're designed to be fought that way. It's when two or more of those huge guys get together that the imbalances appear and go out of control.

Also:  Those black hole things.  Those + big foes need to be a major no-no.  There's already some big balance issues with those in some rooms, but... when any Fearsomes or Chaos-adders are around, things just go bad fast.  And I mean bad as in "broken".   Those need to be around small enemies only.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Just the chaos adders 5x5, or also the 3x3 when it comes to the black holes?  And do you mean both repulsors and gravity wells, or just the wells?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Those room with nothing but wells are a pita to play in.  At least repulsors don't eat shots  :-\
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Just the chaos adders 5x5, or also the 3x3 when it comes to the black holes?  And do you mean both repulsors and gravity wells, or just the wells?

Anything that throws out many shots at a time, basically.  Or snipers.  Both repulsors and gravity wells cause bullets to perform arcing motions that the pattern isnt intended to do, which can turn them into an unavoidable wall.  Even an enemy with a slow pattern like an Infiniform can do this around those.   And I doubt I have to explain where the problems come in with Blaze Cannons in particular  :P

Rooms with these objects do better with many smaller foes that have limited range VS .... anything else.  It lets the objects do their work without corrupting things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk