General Category > Starward Rogue

Any possibility of local multiplayer for Starward Rogue?

(1/4) > >>

Wingflier:
I know it's a long shot, but this seems like the perfect game for it. Would love to play with my friends someday.

Misery:
Probably not happening.  This one would be a "Chris & Keith need to do it" sort of thing, and they've just got too much to do elsewhere.

keith.lamothe:
Yea, it would involve two things:
1) Rewriting the game.
2) Inventing an FTL internet to get the latency low enough to work.

Other than that, no problem! :)

Pepisolo:

--- Quote from: keith.lamothe on January 27, 2018, 06:44:07 AM ---Yea, it would involve two things:
1) Rewriting the game.
2) Inventing an FTL internet to get the latency low enough to work.

Other than that, no problem! :)

--- End quote ---

Actually, this seems to be in reference to online multiplayer? I believe that Wingflier was asking about local multiplayer. Couch co-op, that sort of thing. I recall from back in the day that the possibility of local co-op, while still probably unlikely, it was at least in the realms of possibility, unlike online multiplayer. Still, though, even just couch co-op is super unlikely due to the resources required for its implementation.

keith.lamothe:

--- Quote from: Pepisolo on January 27, 2018, 10:25:29 AM ---Actually, this seems to be in reference to online multiplayer?
--- End quote ---
Oh, right. Sorry, I fail at reading comprehension.

Adding input support for a second controller would be reasonable.

Having said input control the aiming and firing of a familiar (or familiar-esque entity) wouldn't be too awful.

Having an entirely separate second "player entity" (regardless of what controls it) would be like nervous-system-transplant surgery for the engine. (Q: "Which part of the nervous system?" A: "Yes.")

And that doesn't even touch the UI problems of where the camera goes when the players split up; most approaches are simply un-fun, and the ones that might possibly be fun (splitscreen) would be a ton of technical work and significantly increase the minimum system requirements (monitor size, cpu for double-the-draws, etc).

All that said, going back to the familiar-esque approach, I think it could be very fun to have one player play the "normal" mech and have the second player play the "gunner", composed of a fleet of familiars. Since they would have a lot more buttons available (not needing to move and do various things) we could give them a lot more guns >D Remember all those weapons you leave laying around because you've swapped them out or because you don't want to swap out what you have? Just put them into orbit around you and let the second player fire them (with some kind of capacity limit and perhaps a progression system). Personally, I'd enjoy that. But maybe I just want moar dakka.

So that's fine on the input side, and feasible on the engine side, and reasonable on the fun side... but a disaster on the balance side. It would require a totally different balance to account for all that extra firepower. In many ways it would just be a different game. Otherwise the fun would collapse after a run or two of steamrollering everything.

Does anyone have a design that avoids all of the above pitfalls?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version