Author Topic: AI War themed mech...?  (Read 32435 times)

Offline Logorouge

Re: AI War themed mech...?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 05:31:56 pm »
Anybody got any thoughts on a main weapon? Or perhaps even a missile launcher?
Missile Launcher could be Warhead Launcher instead. If it is possible, enemies not killed by it will be enraged (speed up? attack up?), similiar how Warheads in AI War increase AI Progress. [...]
Let's be evil and make it so using the launcher gives you XP. >D

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 05:35:03 pm »
Anybody got any thoughts on a main weapon? Or perhaps even a missile launcher?
Missile Launcher could be Warhead Launcher instead. If it is possible, enemies not killed by it will be enraged (speed up? attack up?), similiar how Warheads in AI War increase AI Progress. [...]
Let's be evil and make it so using the launcher gives you XP. >D
That sounds actually perfect.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »
And you have infinite missiles :)

Edit: though that would make the very-last-boss fight somewhat anticlimactic.

So perhaps instead of literally infinite it just restores your missiles to full each time you enter a room?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 08:00:54 pm »
Just throwing this idea out there. We could actually have a ship rather than a mech. Or some kind of hovery...thing!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 08:43:00 pm »
So perhaps instead of literally infinite it just restores your missiles to full each time you enter a room?

That would work well. Or just +lots (e.g. +5 or +10) without it being a complete refill.

The "enemies not killed are buffed" would be easy: there's already systems built for that, just that most such buffs are detrimental (e.g. slowed).

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 09:42:01 pm »
What would we name an AI War mech? Any ideas?

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 10:57:27 pm »
Ancient Tech Mech. Somethign along the line because AI War plays far back in the past or better said, Starward Rogue is so far in the future that a Mech from that time would be so old.

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 08:25:31 am »
I think just naming it "AI Mech" would make sense, if this is aimed for a promotional content for the release of AI War 2.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 09:04:28 am »
Ancient Tech Mech. Somethign along the line because AI War plays far back in the past or better said, Starward Rogue is so far in the future that a Mech from that time would be so old.
That's a good point. In that case, how about Relic Mech?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 10:06:35 am »
I think just naming it "AI Mech" would make sense, if this is aimed for a promotional content for the release of AI War 2.

Perhaps, yeah. It probably doesn't matter too much what the name is, though, as long as it works for the mech. It could be AI Mech, Relic Mech, I'm not sure...whatever works! :)

Okay, so here's a quick design overview based on the ideas so far (and also a slightly rushed post).

The main ability(?) of the mech is that all enemies start incredibly weak but instead of yourself leveling up, enemies level up instead. You start with full map knowledge. You also get free shop items? If so, what is the purpose of credits? Or perhaps we try to stop credits from spawning? Launcher possibly gives you XP?

An important part of this design is going to be the enemy level up perks. We probably need at least 5 strong perks. Here are some ideas:

Enemy HP
Enemy Damage -- this is actually tricky, since the game only has enemy damage numbers varying from 1 to 5, having a percentage increase doesn't as much sense. So instead perhaps there would be perks to give enemy shots +1 damage.
Enemy Movement AND/OR Fire Rate AND/OR Shot Speed -- what would be the best way to separate these perks out?
Enemy Spawn Rate
...others?

I'm not so sure on the being able to move freely through rooms idea -- it's probably worth trying but it seems like it might be too exploitable.

Mech name: Relic Mech, AI Mech, Ancient Tech Mech...?
Main Weapon: Unknown.
Secondary: Spire Photon Lance
Missile: Drone Launcher...?

It seems like we're making good progress. Cheers!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »
That's a good point. In that case, how about Relic Mech?

Call it the Remnant Mech.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
Murdoch Mech
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 10:52:46 am »
Either Murdoch or Remnant seems like good names to me.

I've been running the implementation through my brain and one issue stands out -- currently, leveling up is optional. If wanted, the player can go through the entire game without leveling up. So, we'd need a way to be able to make leveling up immediately mandatory. Otherwise players would be able to just not press E to level up. Another thing that might be nice is to replace the XP bar for an AIP bar (I think that's what the mechanic is from AI War that we're imitating?)

One other issue, if all items are free then what are credits going to be used for? I guess just removing all credits from runs is the way to go for this, although there might be some engine issues with that. I don't think it's currently possible to stop credits spawning that are placed via the map editor.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 11:15:23 am »
One other issue, if all items are free then what are credits going to be used for? I guess just removing all credits from runs is the way to go for this, although there might be some engine issues with that. I don't think it's currently possible to stop credits spawning that are placed via the map editor.
Hm, good point. I was gonna say XP machines, but that's a bad thing for this one. Well, if the mech has a minion spawning secondary, it could run on money just like the Contrishooter. Kind of a AIWar themed Ram Launcher fueled with money.

But finding a way to force levelups is probably the biggest issue at this time. Sounds like obligatory engine work to me.

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 12:34:50 pm »
Either Murdoch or Remnant seems like good names to me.

I've been running the implementation through my brain and one issue stands out -- currently, leveling up is optional. If wanted, the player can go through the entire game without leveling up. So, we'd need a way to be able to make leveling up immediately mandatory. Otherwise players would be able to just not press E to level up. Another thing that might be nice is to replace the XP bar for an AIP bar (I think that's what the mechanic is from AI War that we're imitating?)

I am not a fan of free items but, if that is what you would be implementing what about credits= negative XP in a minor way?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk