Author Topic: XML questions and answers  (Read 59621 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: XML questions and answers
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:00 pm »
Oh, ok. Yea, if you've got a bullet-pattern telling it what angle to use at that time, that conflicts with the ricochet logic. It can't honor both. I don't really see a fix there, since the requirements are mutually exclusive.

You could give the bullets the modifiers for ignoring terrain; it wouldn't ricochet but it could arc through walls or whatever.

I don't think "a boomerang that acts like a boomerang unless it hits a wall, then it ricochets off and starts acting like a boomerang again" is something the engine can reasonably handle at this time :)

Though I guess you _could_ give it a system that causes "boomerang fragments" to spray out on death of the bullet, so when it hits the wall it "shatters". It wouldn't be relative to the angle of the collision, though.

Edit: though you could have the fragments fly in a fan towards the player using the relative-to-player logic.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2016, 03:20:43 pm »
What about micro-turns?
Something like?

<loop iterations="180">
<change self_size="1">
<change angle="1" relative="true" time="0.0">
<wait time="0.1">
</loop>

IIUC that should allow for the bounce in between rotations. Also, don't forget to deal with your pants.
Updated for Keith.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:26:43 pm by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »
Sure, if all the angle changes are instantaneous it shouldn't block the ricochet logic. And the loop would keep it from being an insane volume of text. Though for that particular loop you'd need to use the flag for suppressing the "after the first iteration, skip the first action inside the loop" bug.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2016, 03:28:58 pm »
This is why I ask for help on patterns, you guys are giving me a headache ;)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2016, 03:34:04 pm »
This is why I ask for help on patterns, you guys are giving me a headache ;)

<loop iterations="-1">
    <bang head="into_wall" />
</loop>

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »
Speaking of which, angle changes:  annoying.   Cant get it to turn in the CORRECT direction.

Just.... lots of weird crap today too.  Sent Chris an email about it just now.

I swear this game is aggravating on purpose sometimes.  It's a conspiracy somehow.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2016, 03:41:53 pm »
if(user=="Misery")
    give_user("Misery");

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »
<system name="Face"
   fire_rate="1" shot_type="palm"
   range_actual="1" attack_power="1"
   shots_rubber_band_to_firing_system="true"
   shots_do_friendly_fire_after_time=".01"
   category="PlayerDirectedWeapon" targeting_logic="Direct">
</system>

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:51:59 pm by Cinth »
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:32 pm »
You forgot:

firing_timing="AllTheTime"

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2016, 03:48:03 pm »
You forgot:

firing_timing="AllTheTime"

Happy meow?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2016, 03:51:25 pm »
Happy meow?
You put it after the >! All the exemel smoke will get out!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »
Happy meow?

Now it has been refined to be controllable by the user.  Gotta love iterative processes.

For the record, Keith sounded just like my ArcenDebugLog reads.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:57:27 pm by Cinth »

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »
Speaking of which, angle changes:  annoying.   Cant get it to turn in the CORRECT direction.

I swear this game is aggravating on purpose sometimes.  It's a conspiracy somehow.

I swear that relative works in different ways, especially when you are mixing in angle , rotate_around_entity, move_with_entity, use_real_locations, set_distance_from_entity, and set_angle_from_entity. I'm also still having a nervous breakdown about this loop issue. I see in the secret path notes there is a secret problem with pants, wherein it skips the first line in a loop, but the problem I've been having is that I see the first line being repeated twice in every loop after the first. And Keith just sits there smiling.... smiling....

On the bright side, the code I wrote above will fix my nonbouncing snake issue. Of course now I have to go back and change everything from time units to angle units per unit of time, and add more time, but this is for bouncing snakes!
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2016, 04:06:32 pm »
Happy meow?

Now it has been refined to be controllable by the user.  Gotta love iterative processes.

I look in there, and I keep wondering why it says "Verbosity Verbosity" in a large variety of places.

Just... confusing....

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

I swear that relative works in different ways, especially when you are mixing in angle , rotate_around_entity, move_with_entity, use_real_locations, set_distance_from_entity, and set_angle_from_entity. I'm also still having a nervous breakdown about this loop issue. I see in the secret path notes there is a secret problem with pants, wherein it skips the first line in a loop, but the problem I've been having is that I see the first line being repeated twice in every loop after the first. And Keith just sits there smiling.... smiling....

On the bright side, the code I wrote above will fix my nonbouncing snake issue. Of course now I have to go back and change everything from time units to angle units per unit of time, and add more time, but this is for bouncing snakes!

I found even more weirdness with that stuff today.

I've sent an update, load up my main test chamber, and just sit there and let the boss fire for awhile; dont move at all, and watch what it does.  Hint, those other circles arent supposed to form. They shouldnt be ABLE to form. Well, they're not supposed to BE circles, but that best showed off the bizarre thing it's doing, so that's why it's like that.   I couldnt get the angles to do what I wanted anyway.  AND the game just ignores loops sometimes, I dont get that either.  Take "relative=true" out of those angle changes, and the looping just doesnt happen.  Among other possible ways to make it not loop.

I just... I dont even.

At least it's not the Warden again.  I'm going to keep repeating that.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2016, 04:07:39 pm »

I wish I had that problem. Here is my debug reads:

Code: [Select]
Error Opening vars file: System.Xml.XmlException: 'wait' is expected file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starward Rogue/RuntimeData/Configuration/BulletPatternVariables/Ptarth_BulletVarsSubmission.xml Line 32, position 9.
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Expect (System.String expected) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadEndTag () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml.EntityResolvingXmlReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml.Schema.XsdValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BulletPatternDataTable.DoPreInitializationLogic () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 :    D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starward Rogue/RuntimeData/Configuration/BulletPatternVariables/Ptarth_BulletVarsSubmission.xml

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Boolean IncludeStackTrace, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at EngineConfig.WriteToErrorFile(System.String ErrorFile, System.String ErrorName, System.String ErrorText, Boolean SuppressArcenDebugLog)
   at EngineConfig.WriteToErrorFile(System.String ErrorFile, System.String ErrorName, System.String ErrorText)
   at BulletPatternDataTable.DoPreInitializationLogic()
   at ArcenDynamicTable`1.Initialize(Boolean IsPostInitReParse)
   at Game.GameForm_Load()
   at Game.ContinueInitializeGame()
   at Game.ContinueMultiStageProcess()
   at ArcenMainCameraImplementations.MainUpdateLogic()
   at MainCameraLogic.Update()

1/29/2016 7:54:07 AM
Errors in reading GameEntityTypeDataTable
internal name 'PlayerRedBlack' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogSnakeHandler' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogHitSideStep' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogHitPhase' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogJanitor' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogSideStep' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogPhaseOut' occured more than once
internal name 'KamikazeInvaderMinion' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion1' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion2' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion3' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion4' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion5' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderBoss' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBoss' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBossStage2' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBossStage3' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBossStage4' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombieMech' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombieMechFamiliar' occured more than once
internal name 'BrokenZombieMech' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombiePartPile' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombieGoodPartPile' occured more than once     1/29/2016 7:54:07 AM
GameInit (1 - 1/29/2016 7:54:07 AM)     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
Version: 1.009     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
sound file count: 509     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
sound loading finished     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
GameInit (2 - 1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM)     1/29/2016 7:54:16 AM
GameInit (3 - 1/29/2016 7:54:16 AM)   
Also Internal failure in that other bullet pattern, but we aren't going to tell you about it. Instead we are going to use the previous version that sorta worked, and keep using it regardless of the changes you made to the pattern, because you have a typo. After you start crying, then we'll consider giving you a fatal error which will remind you to restart the game and notice the pattern won't load. Or perhaps we'll not do anything and see if you notice that your patternslog file has changed again. And for fun, let's add an extra " and see if you notice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk