Author Topic: XML questions and answers  (Read 59606 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: XML questions and answers
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2016, 05:38:34 pm »
Controlling Enemy Movement
This is one of the things that we've all wanted to use (precise boss movement controls), but no one has gotten to work quite right yet.
I'd suggest bullet.uses_direct_location_control and change.location as starting points there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 06:07:11 pm »
I'm not even sure that the system to start the movement pattern is triggering correctly. I had a version that was firing shots at the same time the movement pattern was supposed to be triggering, but either way I'm not seeing any changes in movement occurring.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 06:17:38 pm »
Oh, for that, for enemies/bosses, see entity.initial_movement_driving_bullet_pattern

If you want the movement-driving-pattern to start at some point other than initial spawning of the entity, see EffectType.StartMovementDrivingPattern (to time delay that, give it OnUse timing and put it on a system on the entity, with that system having one unit of ammo and either cue_time or initial_firing_delay set to the desired time)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:53 pm »
...see entity.initial_movement_driving_bullet_pattern...
...see EffectType.StartMovementDrivingPattern ...

Is there a secret document or something that contains all of these tags and attributes that I'm unaware of?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 06:40:10 pm »
...see entity.initial_movement_driving_bullet_pattern...
...see EffectType.StartMovementDrivingPattern ...

Is there a secret document or something that contains all of these tags and attributes that I'm unaware of?
https://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Starward_Rogue:XML_-_GameEntity_Definitions contains initial_movement_driving_bullet_pattern

https://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Starward_Rogue:XML_-_Enum_Reference contains EffectType.StartMovementDrivingPattern

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 06:41:03 pm »
You know that wiki is really hard to use  :-\
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 06:46:59 pm »
If you know a better way, let us know. My role is just to add the names and descriptions of the flags/etc I implement for use in the content xml.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2016, 06:52:17 pm »
If you know a better way, let us know. My role is just to add the names and descriptions of the flags/etc I implement for use in the content xml.

My job here is to complain about stuff that's broken, bad, confusing and make bad jokes in awkward places.  I thought coming up with creative solutions was your job.   ;D  Bad joke awkward place, don't hate me.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:25 pm »
Carry on, Awkward Humor And Complaint Unit 763 ;)

My point is: I don't know how to better organize the info. Even if I did, I don't have the time because the list of bugs assigned to me is always full. Even if I had the time, Chris organized the wiki, not me, and I dunno if he wants me messing with that ;)

But if y'all have the ideas, and someone has the time to implement them, that would be a start.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 07:05:02 pm »
Carry on, Awkward Humor And Complaint Unit 763 ;)
*Renders proper salute*
OF COURSE I WILL, SIR

My point is: I don't know how to better organize the info. Even if I did, I don't have the time because the list of bugs assigned to me is always full. Even if I had the time, Chris organized the wiki, not me, and I dunno if he wants me messing with that ;)

But if y'all have the ideas, and someone has the time to implement them, that would be a start.

Need to enlist the guys in the AIW forum (I can't remember names :( ) who helped with the wiki. 

I think a lot of us are busy.  Some of us are fixing stuff, some of us are creating stuff, and I'm to busy playing the game to do much else except generate lots of bug reports and try to create content.   :D

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »
I'd try to help with the wiki like I did for Valley 1, but I'm relatively certain I'd go insane in the process, been doing too much already.   You'd click to go to a page, and all you'd get would be like, I dunno, a picture of a piece of cheese with a top hat.

I dunno how I come up with this stuff.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2016, 07:17:41 pm »
Oh, that would be <system type="TopHat" with_cheese="true" />

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:17 pm »
I would not be surprised if adding with_cheese to your entity literally causes it to spawn with a random image drawn from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cheeses

P.S. Diazo, I, Histidine, and a few others organised the AIWar Wiki back in the Spire expansion days. I'm not sure whether anyone in maintaining them now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:30:38 pm by zharmad »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2016, 07:33:59 pm »
I would not be surprised if adding with_cheese to your entity literally causes it to spawn with a random image drawn from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cheeses

Feature request!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2016, 07:36:00 pm »
P.S. Diazo, I, Histidine, and a few others organised the AIWar Wiki back in the Spire expansion days. I'm not sure whether anyone in maintaining them now.

I thought someone made a script that helped with everything after crystal went away.  It's been awhile so I can't remember right off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk