Author Topic: XML questions and answers  (Read 59347 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: XML questions and answers
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:55 pm »
Take "relative=true" out of those angle changes, and the looping just doesnt happen.  Among other possible ways to make it not loop.

Oh, I think I know this one, are you doing loops of something like:
<loop iterations = "-1">
<change angle="90", relative="false"/>
</loop>

If so, then once the absolute angle is 90 degrees, it won't change anymore, because it already 90 degrees. So you'll get a shot that makes a single 90 degree turn then stays in that direction. Of course, someone needs to be beaten for having 90 degrees being backwards of a healthy persons idea of 90 degrees, and sometimes it seems that it is relatively to another range angle or to the entity or its parent entity, but that's another issue.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2016, 04:12:29 pm »
I see in the secret path notes
Well, it's in the XML docs too. Though I think people try to read those like they're animal entrails.

there is a secret problem with pants, wherein it skips the first line in a loop, but the problem I've been having is that I see the first line being repeated twice in every loop after the first.
Bizarre. The pants aren't on the head anymore... but it's wearing two pair.

wear_one_and_exactly_one_pair_of_pants="true"

If you could give me a reproducible case for that one I could take a look.

bouncing snakes!
And I'm the tormentor?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2016, 04:14:05 pm »
For the record, Keith sounded just like my ArcenDebugLog reads.

I wish I had that problem. Here is my debug reads:

Code: [Select]
Error Opening vars file: System.Xml.XmlException: 'wait' is expected file:///D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starward Rogue/RuntimeData/Configuration/BulletPatternVariables/Ptarth_BulletVarsSubmission.xml Line 32, position 9.
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Expect (System.String expected) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadEndTag () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml.EntityResolvingXmlReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Xml.Schema.XsdValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BulletPatternDataTable.DoPreInitializationLogic () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 :    D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starward Rogue/RuntimeData/Configuration/BulletPatternVariables/Ptarth_BulletVarsSubmission.xml

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Boolean IncludeStackTrace, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, DebugLogDestination Destination, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at ArcenDebugging.ArcenDebugLog(System.String Message, Verbosity Verbosity)
   at EngineConfig.WriteToErrorFile(System.String ErrorFile, System.String ErrorName, System.String ErrorText, Boolean SuppressArcenDebugLog)
   at EngineConfig.WriteToErrorFile(System.String ErrorFile, System.String ErrorName, System.String ErrorText)
   at BulletPatternDataTable.DoPreInitializationLogic()
   at ArcenDynamicTable`1.Initialize(Boolean IsPostInitReParse)
   at Game.GameForm_Load()
   at Game.ContinueInitializeGame()
   at Game.ContinueMultiStageProcess()
   at ArcenMainCameraImplementations.MainUpdateLogic()
   at MainCameraLogic.Update()

1/29/2016 7:54:07 AM
Errors in reading GameEntityTypeDataTable
internal name 'PlayerRedBlack' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogSnakeHandler' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogHitSideStep' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogHitPhase' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogJanitor' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogSideStep' occured more than once
internal name 'AbmoogPhaseOut' occured more than once
internal name 'KamikazeInvaderMinion' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion1' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion2' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion3' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion4' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderMinion5' occured more than once
internal name 'InvaderBoss' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBoss' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBossStage2' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBossStage3' occured more than once
internal name 'ReanimatorBossStage4' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombieMech' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombieMechFamiliar' occured more than once
internal name 'BrokenZombieMech' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombiePartPile' occured more than once
internal name 'ZombieGoodPartPile' occured more than once     1/29/2016 7:54:07 AM
GameInit (1 - 1/29/2016 7:54:07 AM)     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
Version: 1.009     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
sound file count: 509     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
sound loading finished     1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM
GameInit (2 - 1/29/2016 7:54:08 AM)     1/29/2016 7:54:16 AM
GameInit (3 - 1/29/2016 7:54:16 AM)   
Also Internal failure in that other bullet pattern, but we aren't going to tell you about it. Instead we are going to use the previous version that sorta worked, and keep using it regardless of the changes you made to the pattern, because you have a typo. After you start crying, then we'll consider giving you a fatal error which will remind you to restart the game and notice the pattern won't load. Or perhaps we'll not do anything and see if you notice that your patternslog file has changed again. And for fun, let's add an extra " and see if you notice.

How.... how are you supposed to make sense of that?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
The only way to win is not to play.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
Maybe I should take the time to add support for "if there's an attribute that doesn't match something the code actually looks at, fuss". It's... involved, but I think the alternative is cthulhan for some of the content editors.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »
I see in the secret path notes
Well, it's in the XML docs too. Though I think people try to read those like they're animal entrails.

I've saved copies of the xml docs locally, because otherwise I end up performing DOS attacks against the wiki server. As a simple person, when I look for bullet properties I have this naive hope it will be all together, instead I have to check: bulletpatterns, systems, modifiers, effects, and occasional entities to find the property modifier effect attribute subnode THINGIE I need. And because I forget where I found it last time, I have to do it every time (almost). I also have to open enums a few times, just to get to the right section. And let's not get into targetting versus target versus targeting.

there is a secret problem with pants, wherein it skips the first line in a loop, but the problem I've been having is that I see the first line being repeated twice in every loop after the first.
Bizarre. The pants aren't on the head anymore... but it's wearing two pair.

wear_one_and_exactly_one_pair_of_pants="true"

If you could give me a reproducible case for that one I could take a look.

gibbering maddness ensues...
https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=18584
https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=18585
https://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,18335.msg198033.html#msg198033
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:21:07 pm by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2016, 04:19:35 pm »
The only way to win is not to play.

Yeah, that'd probably be pretty much my reaction to it (and I wonder how many people would know where that line is from).  That and something thrown at the wall.

I mean, that whole thing may as well just read "LOL NOPE!" as far as I'm concerned.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2016, 04:22:33 pm »
gibbering maddness ensues...
My apologies, I don't actually crawl mantis (or most of the forums) myself, Chris just puts stuff on my list. Will take a look.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:36 pm »
No worries. The optimal placement of the criterion for separating signal to noise means you are going to miss things at times.

Or Chris hates me....

Have some snakes.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2016, 04:31:50 pm »
Yeah okay, so they can't easily & smoothly (non-instantly) track the player *and* bounce-ish. Okay, I can live with that.

Also, this tag doesn't work:
            requires_firing_system_range_to_player_more_than_or_equal_to="[TRIGGER_DMIN]"
while this tag does:
            requires_firing_system_range_to_player_less_than_or_equal_to="[TRIGGER_DMAX]"

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
Have some snakes.
Why does it always have to be snakes?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2016, 04:38:00 pm »
My debug logs aren't bad because I'm using something that was already written and tested, I'm just making changes that fit what I want (usually).  I also do stuff in very small batches so if it doesn't work, I know where to look (generally speaking).  At that point I either find another example to use or hit up the wiki for alternatives.

My approach, small bytes ;)
Have some snakes.

Indy, Indy ! LOOK OUT!
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2016, 04:45:04 pm »
Have some snakes.

Could be worse.

Could be bigger Blaze Turrets.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2016, 04:45:42 pm »
Could be worse.

Could be bigger Blaze Turrets.

We already have those.....
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »
Maybe we need a shop item that gives immunity to blaze turret...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk