Author Topic: Someone told me I could get help here?  (Read 14108 times)

Offline CaptainTaz

• Bottlenecks are life. Literally.
Re: Someone told me I could get help here?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 04:05:02 pm »
So I realized there was easy, and super easy, and i was playing on that, so that might have factored in as well...

Currently on an ACTUAL "Easy" run, doing pretty terribly in comparison.
Just that guy who hides behind walls of death hoping that they stay up.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 10:02:08 pm »
So I realized there was easy, and super easy, and i was playing on that, so that might have factored in as well...

I tried hard once...it resulted in a sticky thread.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:36 am »

Just watched that... man I would have died in that first volley of bullets xD

how did you get more than 5 floors by the way? Is that a hard-only thing or something?

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 12:49:23 am »
how did you get more than 5 floors by the way? Is that a hard-only thing or something?
After defeating a few Wardens, you'll unlock two more floors. There's no difficulty level restriction for any of the unlocks in the game, so far at least.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 12:55:29 am »
Yeah, I beat at least one of my wardens on Easy.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:16 am »

Defeat the Warden a few times, and the remaining 2 floors will open up.  The Warden is not the final boss.

And yes, Hard is pretty tough, eh?  Just wait until Misery mode is ready though.   

As an example, this is the Warden on that mode:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGOkBPd1ow

And this is Crystal Mother:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dr0RsbxZgE

That mode isn't available yet though, what's there right now is just a placeholder.  The full mode will be available whenever I happen to finish it.  Making these blasted things is a very slow process. 

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 02:52:15 am »

Defeat the Warden a few times

*glances at his most recent warden kill taking about 8 seconds* I think I can do that... xD

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 03:46:32 am »

*glances at his most recent warden kill taking about 8 seconds* I think I can do that... xD

That'll change.

They're not meant to go down in seconds.  Hell, the Warden has a grand total of 14,600 HP... that's a ton.  It shouldn't be imploding just because you looked at it too hard.

There's some huge imbalances in the game right now, causing the difficulty progression to effectively be backwards (the player's power level goes out of control very easily) which is being worked on currently.   It's a slow process, but it's being worked on.  The game should get more interesting once that's finally dealt with.

If you want more of a challenge out of a given boss, try fighting them in the test rooms, which can be found in the "mods" bit of the main menu.  Each boss has it's own room, and you can select a difficulty setting, and you go from there.   White Gloss mech, 5 missiles, some energy, no powerups, no levelups... just you and the boss.  Dodge it's attacks, or get exploded.  Again the misery versions of many bosses are not there yet, if that difficulty is chosen for one that isn't ready, it'll just use it's Hard mode patterns.

Probably a good way to practice for later when things get a lot tougher.

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 03:58:45 am »

That'll change.

They're not meant to go down in seconds.  Hell, the Warden has a grand total of 14,600 HP... that's a ton.  It shouldn't be imploding just because you looked at it too hard.

There's some huge imbalances in the game right now, causing the difficulty progression to effectively be backwards (the player's power level goes out of control very easily) which is being worked on currently.   It's a slow process, but it's being worked on.  The game should get more interesting once that's finally dealt with.

If you want more of a challenge out of a given boss, try fighting them in the test rooms, which can be found in the "mods" bit of the main menu.  Each boss has it's own room, and you can select a difficulty setting, and you go from there.   White Gloss mech, 5 missiles, some energy, no powerups, no levelups... just you and the boss.  Dodge it's attacks, or get exploded.  Again the misery versions of many bosses are not there yet, if that difficulty is chosen for one that isn't ready, it'll just use it's Hard mode patterns.

Probably a good way to practice for later when things get a lot tougher.

Good to know. Was saying that moreso because I've been playing on super easy and getting some really lucky drops. (Rapidfire inaccurate gun + Rapidfire inaccurate energy weapon + Enemy kills refill health + Enemy kills refill energy + Homing bullets = Godmode)

On Easy mode alone I can't even beat it past floor 3-4, probably due to my terrible hand/eye, my utter lack of concern for being hit, and the only other game I've played without health regen being Hammerwatch (A similar dungeon crawler game, with minor bits of bullet hell sprinkled in the first few floors due to the annoying worm enemies and the occasional miniboss, and respawns being a thing).

I'd honestly like to see more rooms early on, as exploring every floor in their entirety is a lot of fun, but it ends so fast in the first two floors.

I think I'm playing the game completely wrong to be honest with ya xD

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 05:34:39 am »
The early rooms will remain short, if they were long, it'd get boring; they're supposed to be the easiest ones, really.

And yes, you are supposed to dodge stuff...

Ah, there was a time when health-regen wasn't even a thing... never happened in games, way back when.  Got hit too many times without finding healing items, and bam, you were dead.  Nowadays... ugh.  I've never liked regen systems.  To me they're fixes for something that was never broken, and an unnecessary bit of handholding at the same time. 

THIS game though is meant to murd- uh, I mean, challenge the player properly.   One thing I didn't like with some other games in this genre was that honestly they were just too easy.  Like, I love Isaac, but even on Hard the game just isn't all that tough.  It has no regen or anything like that (well, no, there's an item that does that, but it does it ridiculously slowly so I don't know why it bothers...) but it's still a pretty easy game.  Others tend to be like that.  So this game specifically isn't.

Not that there aren't issues though.  I'm still doing some of the damn room renovations (that's a HUGE issue right now, and if you saw Managarmr's video in the Hard mode thread, well... he ran into more than a few broken rooms) and of course the whole player power progression thing is being worked on (not by me though, it's full of scary math).

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:36 am »
Ah, there was a time when health-regen wasn't even a thing... never happened in games, way back when.  Got hit too many times without finding healing items, and bam, you were dead.  Nowadays... ugh.  I've never liked regen systems.  To me they're fixes for something that was never broken, and an unnecessary bit of handholding at the same time. 

The are some games where it is appropriate, Portal for one.
But yes, in a game like this, usually no.

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 06:36:45 pm »
I'd like to amend my previous statement with a huge facepalm:
the only other game I've played without health regen being Hammerwatch

I have somehow forgotten my love for Legend of Zelda games... thinking on it, I kinda play this game like I do them, which is probably why I fail so miserably xD

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
On the other hand, you also have people who give their mechs hull and shield regen via modding.
;p
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk