Author Topic: Someone told me I could get help here?  (Read 14109 times)

Offline CaptainTaz

• Bottlenecks are life. Literally.
Someone told me I could get help here?
« on: April 08, 2016, 02:49:33 pm »
Quote from: CaptainTaz on April 05, 2016, 10:09:15 PM

Quote from: DavionFuxa on April 05, 2016, 05:22:29 PM

There are something things that irk me a bit sometimes - such as the colors of some bullets

This has been my own personal peeve since I started. Bullets aren't color coded to friendly/not friendly (and as far as I'm aware, this isn't a feature). This is especially annoying when you have little bots with you (I'm looking at you, bot that shoots at the mech and you need to position it).

If there was an option to set allied/your bullets to like, blue or green  (or even custom), and have the rest of the enemy ones NOT be that color, it would make this game so much more playable for me (and I may be able to actually venture out of the easy mode...)

The rest of the game's been pretty fantastic though.

This is something you can easily mod in yourself.  It's as easy as finding the image you want and making changes in the XML.  Start up a thread in the mod sub-forum and I'm sure we can get you going there :)

I know my way around going through files and such, but modding is not something I'm very experienced at... What would be really nice is that I can get all friendly bullets changed to a blue or green color, and keep enemy bullets from using the color so that I can distinguish weather or not I'm actually going to get hit by something... Can someone show me how to accomplish this please?
Just that guy who hides behind walls of death hoping that they stay up.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Someone told me I could get help here?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »
Greetings.

Hmmm....

There are a couple of ways to handle your request. I'm not sure which is the best way to go about it honestly. I'm going to talk about it a bit before getting to the point.

Player and enemy systems are defined in XML. They reference shots and shot patterns that are used to identify particular shot images stored in the \images\shots folder. Most of the time the player shots come from the \images\shots\player folder. Enemy shots are primarily located in \images\shots\Simpler, but also frequently in the \images\shots\Medium and images\shots\Larger. There are some extras, but this covers 95% of the shots.

Some options:
Go through all of the player system xml files and replace all of the colors with Blue (or green). Then do the same with the enemy system files and replace Blue (or Green) with a different color (... red?).
Go through all of the shots, replace all shots in the \images\shots\player folder with Blue (or green versions of themselves). Then do the same for all of the other folders, except replacing all the Blue (or Green) shots with red versions. Warning: There are almost 3000 shot images now.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make in discrimination.

There is a source code proposal being considered right now to allow particular shading for each shot, this would allow a straightforward recolor of every shot without all of the work above.

I'm going to take a stab at this for my own amusement using the replacement xml version because I'm curious.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »
Greetings.

Hmmm....

There are a couple of ways to handle your request. I'm not sure which is the best way to go about it honestly. I'm going to talk about it a bit before getting to the point.

Player and enemy systems are defined in XML. They reference shots and shot patterns that are used to identify particular shot images stored in the \images\shots folder. Most of the time the player shots come from the \images\shots\player folder. Enemy shots are primarily located in \images\shots\Simpler, but also frequently in the \images\shots\Medium and images\shots\Larger. There are some extras, but this covers 95% of the shots.

Some options:
Go through all of the player system xml files and replace all of the colors with Blue (or green). Then do the same with the enemy system files and replace Blue (or Green) with a different color (... red?).
Go through all of the shots, replace all shots in the \images\shots\player folder with Blue (or green versions of themselves). Then do the same for all of the other folders, except replacing all the Blue (or Green) shots with red versions. Warning: There are almost 3000 shot images now.

I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make in discrimination.

There is a source code proposal being considered right now to allow particular shading for each shot, this would allow a straightforward recolor of every shot without all of the work above.

I'm going to take a stab at this for my own amusement using the replacement xml version because I'm curious.

Thank you for your reply :D

I'll probably wait for that source code thing to happen, as I don't think I have the patience to edit that many files xD

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 07:15:24 pm »
Blue Shots for the Player and no one else compatible with Starward Rogue v1.018 v2
  • I changed most of the shots, but there are some that got through because the player and enemy systems are mixed. This is sufficient to see if the color charge actually works for you.
  • If the other shots are bothersome enough you should be able to track them down and change them, there shouldn't be too many.
  • It will only work with v1.018 because of all of the changes and references.
  • For later versions these files will have to be updated with the changed content. It shouldn't break saves, but if you update while this mod is in you will get many warnings about repeated file names.
  • v2 - Includes more shots now. Also All TrueBlue shots are converted to BurningRed where appropriate.

Extract and overwrite the files in the attached zip into your ..\Starward Rogue\RuntimeData\Configuration directory.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:43:56 am by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 03:55:18 am »
Blue Shots for the Player and no one else compatible with Starward Rogue v1.018
  • I changed most of the shots, but there are some that got through because the player and enemy systems are mixed. This is sufficient to see if the color charge actually works for you.
  • If the other shots are bothersome enough you should be able to track them down and change them, there shouldn't be too many.
  • For later versions these files will have to be updated with the changed content. It shouldn't break saves, but if you update while this mod is in you will get many warnings about repeated file names.

Extract and overwrite the files in the attached zip into your ..\Starward Rogue\RuntimeData\Configuration directory.

Played around for an hour or so, worked pretty well! Blue pearls still had the blue bullets, but they were easy enough to recognize. Thank you mate :D

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:26:30 am »
Cheers.

If you keep a list of the shots that are noticeably still unchanged, someone will clean those up.

Also, I'd be interested in how the recoloring is making a difference to you. If you wanted to write about your experiences with it, I'd be interested. If there is sufficient use out of it, we can prioritize it as a feature.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:42:28 am »
Blue Shots for the Player and no one else compatible with Starward Rogue v1.018

Are these forced, or is it a setting for shot color? I'm not sure I'd like to have completely unified shot colors (although I will of course play anyway :P)
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:23:16 am »
He probably changed the shot type in the XML (I didn't look at the mod tbh).

If you want to do a unified look, find the shot you want in the images folder and write it into the xml.  It's super easy (just time consuming).

Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 01:58:51 pm »
I changed most of the xml entries from blue to red, or from not blue to blue, depending on the source.

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:26:55 am »
Cheers.

If you keep a list of the shots that are noticeably still unchanged, someone will clean those up.

Also, I'd be interested in how the recoloring is making a difference to you. If you wanted to write about your experiences with it, I'd be interested. If there is sufficient use out of it, we can prioritize it as a feature.

Will do, I'm gunna do a full run on easy tonight to mess with the new things (I killed a drone shopkeeper without realizing it and I screwed over my run because of it... wups!) I'll post here my findings and how I feel things changed once I finish :D

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:30:02 am »
List of enemies that still had blue bullets that I noticed:
Blue Pearl
Blue Blaze turret
Blue Krill Splitter
Chopper blademorph -This one's very very obvious who it belongs to, so it's not really needed to be changed
Blue swarm bots
Battleswarm (floor boss) Phase 2 bullets
Invader (floor boss) pulsing bullets
Gemini sister 1
Viper (the tips of their "claw" bullet arms)
Accelerator Blue/orange
Blue Aegis
Demense - Pretty major one
Paragon (midboss)
Metal grinder

Allied things not blue:
Fragment cannon

Things I've noticed so far: (easy run using the green mech, got the extra enemy thing from killing the consumable shop owner.)
-I'm actually dodging enemy fire slightly better (My hand-eye is still terrible, and this is my first bullethell game I'm actually trying to play so that factors in... As well as I keep thinking it's fine to take hits)
-Made it to floor three before I saw a large spike in the difficulty (in a good way) thanks to the new rooms.
-Having all my drones color-coded makes it easier for me to determine if they're actually hitting things or not
- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=662705136... I maaaaaaaay have defeated the purpose of the color change on floor five.... I can literally dash through any room and eliminate everything... xD

.... the warden didn't have a chance... http://steamcommunity.com/id/GeneralEagleEye/screenshots/

It's 3:30AM now... I'm going to head off to bed and try a normal run tomorrow... maybe I won't become god xD

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 08:19:29 am »
Hm, how did you get that much HP in time for that fight?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 09:42:33 am »
Ah, well, technically, those shots aren't blue, they are TrueBlue... :)
I've gone ahead an increased the definition of blue to include TrueBlue.

Offline CaptainTaz

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:43:30 pm »

I got one or two plus health bonuses (I think they were 10 each) through level, and then just got lucky with the HP shards I guess? If health increases by level, I think I was like, 13 by the end as well...

I really have no clue though, on floor 13 I only had 15 health, then by the last floor I just had 70 xD....

Ah, well, technically, those shots aren't blue, they are TrueBlue... :)
I've gone ahead an increased the definition of blue to include TrueBlue.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks! I'll take a look this evening when I get home.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:45:20 pm by CaptainTaz »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »

By never buying sacrifice shop items on Easy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk