General Category > Starward Rogue Mods & Modding

Override Existing XML?

<< < (2/2)

Misery:

--- Quote from: TheDauthi on June 06, 2016, 11:32:30 pm ---Look forward to it.

I think the shield has interesting interactions with a lot of the larger enemies, making them more dangerous without changing their behavior much.  It works better than my first idea: a charger that dealt no damage, but rushed you and repelled your shots.  Make it hard to hit anything else.  Spawn it in groups (don't know how to do that one yet), add some knockback, call it a day.  Playing with repel mechanics on the player made me think it wouldn't work right: too many of the shots wouldn't hit it if it's not right on top of you, and if it's right on top of you, they all would hit.

--- End quote ---

Ooh, I like this one.

Maybe something like that doesn't need to be just a mod.  I could see this one working as an actual addition to the enemy roster.

ptarth:

* Player and Enemy shots can be repelled differently.
* An enemy that repels player shots is hard to kill.
* Shields sometimes just increase enemy health, so make sure the effect does something different to make it worth the cost of having a shield.
* For multi-spawning enemies look at the Mini-Swarm Leaders GameEntity/CMP_Enemy_Ships.xml
* grep is really useful for finding bits of code.
* A text editor that does xml format checking is really helpful.

Draco18s:
IFF you do an enemy that repels player shots, it should probably only have 1 hp.

I recall making reference to sacrifice items (ah, no, it was another Thing) that did gravity effects and someone's response was "shot repelling was the worst idea ever."

Oh, here, it was Misery.

--- Quote ---Having something like a MOBILE gravity well that could appear anywhere?  No.  I guarantee you, that'll lead to unavoidable deaths. 

To be honest, the repulsion/gravity effects should never have been added in the first place.  They've been nothing but trouble from the start.
--- End quote ---

Misery:
Huh.  You know, I hadn't even noticed the "repel" part of his suggestion there.  All I saw was "huge tanky thing that gets in your way and follows you to be annoying and stop you from hitting Blaze Cannons".

Yes, I do prefer to avoid the repel/attract effects.  They really are problematic enough with the gravity wells.  I had to fix SO many rooms because of those bloody things.  You cannot put anything but the smallest enemies around them, since otherwise they can make stuff undodgable.  Among other issues.

TheDauthi:

--- Quote from: Misery on June 07, 2016, 04:13:06 am ---Yes, I do prefer to avoid the repel/attract effects.  They really are problematic enough with the gravity wells.  I had to fix SO many rooms because of those bloody things.  You cannot put anything but the smallest enemies around them, since otherwise they can make stuff undodgable.  Among other issues.
--- End quote ---

Yep. When I was first trying to figure out how it might work, I unlocked MagneticDefense inside Dayton_Powerups.xml, and found it made the player pretty much invincible.  After that, I decided that to scrap the mobile repel enemy I had been considering, and honestly, even using repel for anything.

Attraction, on the other hand, doesn't seem to face the exact same problems, at least when it comes to enemies - there's a reason that MagneticOffense is pretty good.  But attraction has a side effect that I think can be taken advantage of - it's harder to hit anything else.  I don't think it's quite as bad as a normal gravity well, since as an enemy, they're destroyable, and then things get somewhat back to normal.  For the mobile shields, giving them high HP/shields and putting them near things like blaze cannons gives the player a choice to make: do I take the annoying one or the dangerous one out first?  If it's balanced, it's a choice they have to make every single time they see one.

tl;dr: I don't want to screw the player.  I want the player to make bad decisions, and thus, screw themselves.  That's much more fun.

Knockback swarm might still work, I'm not sure.  It seems that the player would just always target them, dodging everything else in the room.

--- Quote from: ptarth on June 07, 2016, 01:07:34 am ---
* Player and Enemy shots can be repelled differently.
--- End quote ---
Yep.  I thought I saw some edge cases mentioned in the forum somewhere, but they didn't seem applicable.

* An enemy that repels player shots is hard to kill.
--- End quote ---
Very much so.  It seems impossible with most weapons at a distance, at least if it works like it does on players.

* Shields sometimes just increase enemy health, so make sure the effect does something different to make it worth the cost of having a shield.
--- End quote ---
My thought is that I don't want the enemies to be immediately killed, even by players with high damage.  They are, after all, pulling the bullets to themselves.  They need to be able to survive that.  Shields may well not be the best way to do that; needs testing.

* For multi-spawning enemies look at the Mini-Swarm Leaders GameEntity/CMP_Enemy_Ships.xml
--- End quote ---
Thanks.  I didn't even consider the Mini-Swarm Leaders as a jumping-off point.

* grep is really useful for finding bits of code.
--- End quote ---
Yep.  I use it in my day-to-day life.  I've also been using git to source control my local changes.

* A text editor that does xml format checking is really helpful.
--- End quote ---
Using Sublime.  It doesn't do much for consistently formatting XML, but it does detect malformed tags.  I can always format it later (starlet, tidy)

--- Quote from: Misery on June 07, 2016, 12:42:34 am ---Maybe something like that doesn't need to be just a mod.  I could see this one working as an actual addition to the enemy roster.
--- End quote ---
If you see anything interesting, feel free to grab it.  You have a lot more experience with how the system works and can get something working and most especially tweaked and tested much more quickly than I can, who started modding the game this last weekend.  I'm interested in seeing interesting stuff in the game, not about who did what or came up with what.  More importantly, I bit off quite a lot with the new perks, and I really need to do one thing at a time, or I'll keep getting distracted by new shiny toys forever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version