Author Topic: I have done something wrong - How I learned to love Staring into the Abyss  (Read 16985 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: I have done something wrong - How I learned to love Staring into the Abyss
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 07:41:38 pm »
I looked at that code block just now.

This was a mistake.

Why.... why would you make that.

I mean, all those numbers are scary.  Seems dangerous. 

I'm just going to stick to my own usual way of making the game kill everyone.

I've lost track of whatever is going on here anyway.  You'd think I'd know this stuff, but that'd make too much sense, cant have that.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 07:43:26 pm »
We use spatial partitioning. And those extra flags already in use pare down a lot of the other collision checks it might be doing.

I suspect it's not the collision checking that's bottlenecking this case. For now the point is to not need so many individual bullets that it tanks :) But experimental phase stuff will get crazy, as usual.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:25 pm »
I've lost track of whatever is going on here anyway.

Deja vu.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 07:51:23 pm »

Deja vu.

It happens every few minutes or so, so yeah.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 07:54:58 pm »

Deja vu.

I was going to post what I posted 2 hours ago on the Steam forum, but decided once was enough (don't want to seem mean spirited here, just poking a little fun).

Talking XML is about like Greek to me, maybe Latin.  I'm about as clueless as to what just happened.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 07:59:57 pm »

Deja vu.

I was going to post what I posted 2 hours ago on the Steam forum, but decided once was enough (don't want to seem mean spirited here, just poking a little fun).

Talking XML is about like Greek to me, maybe Latin.  I'm about as clueless as to what just happened.

Frankly, that's what it's like to me half the time too despite my role in all this.  Well... when it's all.... ORGANIZED.... like that.  I dont know how to type that word with more disdain than that.

I dont do "organized".  I'm used to the chaotic disasters that control most of the bosses, like whatever the heck it is that makes Centrifuge somehow work (I'm sure it made sense at the time... it occurs to me that I say this really often).   As soon as people start organizing things I get lost.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »
I have to realllllly look at the pattern XMLs to kinda get an idea.  I HAVE to look at it in action to make connections.  I have to iterate over and over to get the results I want.  I can't visualize anything in there as code.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 08:14:44 pm »
That code? That was easy, but a little tedious. The majority of it was just defining the 60 unique shot patterns. Once I had the prototype I just generated code to make random shots and it was done. Of course the prototype took me about 10 hours to get right. Or 1 hour to get right and 9 hours worth of bugfixing to undo my improvements to make it work.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 08:21:17 pm »
I build the tools that motivate other people to build the tools to try to use my tools (without tearing their hair out) to tell other peoples' tools to fire pinwheels of death across the screen.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:42 pm »
So... is there any easy way to get a good quality png out of an in game weapon? I'd like to look into extracting several of those pinwheels and then using them for a Day of the Dead. And because the pinwheels would be a single shot graphic, the system load would be a fraction of what it is now. I guess I could write code to translate the weapon patterns into a graphic, but that's would be effectively rebuilding a portion of the game engine, which seems redundant.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 08:29:40 pm »
60 unique shot patterns

It hurts

Oh pish
Code: [Select]
<loop iterations="60'>
<spawn>
<bullet_pattern>
<bullet angle_rand="0,359" speed_rand="0,800" shot_rand="pick one for me" do_something_crazy_prob="0.50"/>
</bullet_pattern>
</spawn>
</loop>

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 08:33:38 pm »
Oh ptarth, leave a red/white pairing for pinwheels available for me to turn into a player weapon please.  I don't care which flavors of white and red, I just want that pairing :)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:21 pm »
uh... Which one? I've made... quite a few.
Count them from inside to out. Straight right is the first one in each ring. Ring counts are 1st has 10, 2nd has 10, 3rd has 20, and 4th has 20.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »
The shred guardians weapon.  I'm turning it into a player weapon.  I just have to modify it to make it reasonable for use.  It's already crazy fun to use otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk