Author Topic: General Starward Rogue Questions  (Read 15376 times)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
General Starward Rogue Questions
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:26:31 am »
Rather than clutter up the other highly serious modding threads, I thought I'd open up a more general question thread.

I've been looking at the shots included in the game for inspiration and ideas.
We have red, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
We have white, golden, burningred and emblazonedyellow (close to orange).

Why are there no orange shots (seriously)?

Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: General Starward Rogue Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:30:44 am »
So after much ado I wanted to give Visual Studio a shot for editing. Previously, I have been using notepad++ to edit the xml files, however after Misery commenting on it enough, I wanted to give VS a shot. Any suggestions on how to set this up? At some point in time I might try to get SVN access, but not until I've contributed enough to make it worth the effort on the part of others.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:43:26 am »
Hm, I'm not sure what you mean by "set it up".  You just install it.   If there's something else to it than the usual, I never encountered it.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:43:18 pm »
Right. It wants me to create a new Project. Do I just ignore that and just use it as a fancy text editor?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:16:35 pm »
I just go to "open file" and load the XML files.  That's about all you need to do.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »
I just go to "open file" and load the XML files.  That's about all you need to do.

So effectively just treat it as a fancy xml editor?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:38 pm »
Yep.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:33:08 pm »
K. We'll see how it goes I guess. Although, I'm finding it a tough sell because I'm using a potato to run all of this and VS is really top heavy on it.

Back to the original question then: Why no orange shots? Is it a palette issue? A color-blind issue? Does Chris or Blue just hate orange? I mean, I'm not a big fan of orange, but I'm having troubles making rainbows without the O in ROYGBIV.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:36:04 pm »
K. We'll see how it goes I guess. Although, I'm finding it a tough sell because I'm using a potato to run all of this and VS is really top heavy on it.

Back to the original question then: Why no orange shots? Is it a palette issue? A color-blind issue? Does Chris or Blue just hate orange? I mean, I'm not a big fan of orange, but I'm having troubles making rainbows without the O in ROYGBIV.

Confimed: Nyan Cat being worked on by ptarth.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »

Confimed: Nyan Cat being worked on by ptarth.
Complete with the relevant .ogg played on looping attack.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:06 pm »
Next Question: Why is there one and only one EmblazonedPurple shot? QuadEmblazonedPurple?

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:39:07 pm »
  • How large is a room? I mean sure, the room designer uses 1 character per tile, that's not what I mean, I mean, in pixels. For example right now I have estimates of 66 pixels per tile and 68 pixels per tile.
  • In pathfinding (specifically CardinalMover right now), how much does the hitbox effect the turning radius?
  • In pathfinding (specifically CardinalMover right now), how much does the time_to_visually_rotate_180_degrees effect the turning radius?
  • I spawn 10 CardinalMover  enemies on top of one another, under certain situations, some of their paths are offset by roughly half the wide of their hitbox. What's going on?
  • When using a random spread salvo weapon (example: shot_per_salvo="45" inaccuracy_spread="135" inaccuracy_is_by_salvo="true" with all of the performance logic on) I get the initial shot being fired off at a completely different angle than the rest of the salvo. I'm guessing the original shot is going off at the correct angle and doesn't have the inaccuracy applied. I guess this is also a preliminary bug report and not a question.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »
Are you using an initial_firing_delay? I had some issues with my ships' first shop being in the wrong direction until I set initial_firing_delay="0.1" to give it time to change its facing properly.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »
No. I tried it. Cue time still mucks up salvos as well.
See attached image.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 05:17:21 pm »
I had issues with my Aegis shield pattern getting messed up like that (sometimes much worse) that involved how the player moved. Does that problem go away when the player stays perfectly still?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk