Author Topic: A new enemy has arrived, the Opal, sister ships to the Pearl  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
A new enemy has arrived, the Opal, sister ships to the Pearl
« on: February 20, 2016, 04:07:27 am »
After hitting some issues with my other ship design, I took a quick break to do something easy(er). So anyway...

I really like the Pearl ships for some reason. Maybe it's because they have such a nice looking attack and great sound, or maybe it is because somehow, even though their attack is telegraphed as all heck, it still hits me in the face far too often. So I introduce the Opal. You've got four to choose from, the three colors to match the Pearl: Blue, Green, and Purple. And one brand new Deadly Opal I was playing with that you should test last, after you've got the hang of the other three. The deadly opal is in the top right...you have been warned.

Unzips safely over 1.014. atest_Heart loads up all four ships for you to experiment with.

Feedback appreciated, especially on the Deadly Opal.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: A new enemy has arrived, the Opal, sister ships to the Pearl
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 07:20:18 am »
  • Feels a lot like the White Waiting Widow
  • I've been trying to reduce the number of systems and reduce code length.
    • <modifier target="Self" type="FireRate" math="add" magnitude="-0.4" duration="-1" requires_difficulty_at_least="Hard"/>
    • Should work to combine the hard/normal systems into one.
  • I really appreciate the commenting.
  • I didn't find the blue, green, and purple to be that different. After looking at the BulletPattern I'm thinking that I didn't miss anything. I really liked how different the Aegis were, so seeing less variability made me sad.
  • The Red one was awesome. I really like the homing effect. I had been using gravity on the snake shots on the Vipers, but I think that homing might be even better.
  • I'd say keep the red, but the other three need some work. They just don't feel that much different from already existing in game enemies. Perhaps adding some moving/homing to the initial shot? Not enough to get the player, but enough to give them a wake up call.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »
I originally wanted to do a <modifier> for FireRate, but didn't see it listed on the wiki. Very happy to do it that way, I hated having to dup the systems.

In terms of difference, the differences are pretty much the same as the existing Pearl ships, which I will admit are pretty similar in game.

Given the number of ideas I tried on the red, I can expand those to the other colors very easily for version 2. I'll see what I can put together.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:43:04 pm »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk