Author Topic: sir crazyroostermans first impressions.  (Read 2683 times)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
sir crazyroostermans first impressions.
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
hey folks I just got in today and I'm actually rather enjoying this now individual points.

1 this game looks way better than I was expecting it to I particaly love your ship design and the details like how it moves back and forth a little when your not doing anything although pickups should really be more clear on their reusability for instance I picked up code zero in my current run and since every other item id picked up permanent I assumed this was to and wasted it seeing what would happen when I used it.

2 I'm enjoying the game play although the secondary permanent items I've picked(aka weapons) feel piss weak compared to just using my main I'm afraid I cant really see real reason to bother with the ones I've tried.

3 there's an actual intro! even though it still shows him in the water is that the inside of his ship by any chance? curious but still its nice to see some things get explained for the future people who will play in release its really sad to see that the hydral has no idea what his labours fruited though hopefully that'll get there'll be lore for that in stars in the future also is it just me or has the hydral gone a bit mad? considering that he's basically talking to him self in the intro and the intro of tlf maybe he truly is mad and is just imaging everything that's happened but any way.

4 cant really comment to much on the balance due to my lack of experience with this genera

5 so since everything I'm fighting appears machine like does that mean I'm never going to really see what the races that are fighting each other look like? for that matter before I played I thought you were out in space fighting ships not fighting internal security a surprise for sure but over all I don't mind

6 pleasantly surprised at the lack of bugs I've found not like stars were I came across bugs in first wave that broke the game for me

ps in my current room I beat the multi phase boss but I've got locked into a room I cant simply cant progress in I'm blocked from getting to the enemies by those brownish blocks you cant damage in any way so I'm going to have to restart.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: sir crazyroostermans first impressions.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:18:16 am »

ps in my current room I beat the multi phase boss but I've got locked into a room I cant simply cant progress in I'm blocked from getting to the enemies by those brownish blocks you cant damage in any way so I'm going to have to restart.

There's blocks that can only be destroyed by missiles; quite a few rooms require you to break through some to get at things on the other side.  If you run out of missiles in that type of room, the game should immediately spawn an enemy that is guaranteed to drop one when destroyed.  The whole idea is a bit of a debated thing though.

As for the secondary weapons, they can be better than you think... right now though one thing that is not helping is that there's no "effects" for them.  They're just using normal bullet sprites in place of things like actual particle effects.  With some of them, if used when you're already firing your main gun, it can be hard to tell if the thing even fired correctly!  That'll get fixed soon, I'm sure.

Though also the balance of the things as a whole right now is sorta all over the place too.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 07:38:29 am »
On the secondary weapons I'm used to games like Raptor where they actually add into your "my perpetual spam of death setup", and I enjoy that more than the thing I sometimes use for a different effect, but can hardly spam because my energy is all gone.

That said, some of them I've really liked, like the hunter killer and the nova.

And I haven't really been playing from the perspective of "this run matters to me at all", just testing stuff. So the main guns feel more than sufficient for most of that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 09:09:38 am »

There's blocks that can only be destroyed by missiles; quite a few rooms require you to break through some to get at things on the other side.  If you run out of missiles in that type of room, the game should immediately spawn an enemy that is guaranteed to drop one when destroyed.  The whole idea is a bit of a debated thing though.

As for the secondary weapons, they can be better than you think... right now though one thing that is not helping is that there's no "effects" for them.  They're just using normal bullet sprites in place of things like actual particle effects.  With some of them, if used when you're already firing your main gun, it can be hard to tell if the thing even fired correctly!  That'll get fixed soon, I'm sure.

Though also the balance of the things as a whole right now is sorta all over the place too.
1 yea I figured that out after I made that post and went and had a skeet and discovered I could fire missiles(id completely forgotten about them in till then) and discovered the way through it really should be more clear about how your meant to deal with those I assumed when I first saw them that they were intended to be unbreakable granted the tutorial when it works might do the job for that regardless I don't mind having to use missiles on them since I tend to save them for things like bosses really so I've generally got enough if I need to get things out the way.

2 I've found since then a couple of secondary's I like mainly speaking the ring of fire the machine guns and the secondary that turns your main into a rail cannon(it would be nice if some effects changed though its really easy to forget when their off and on) the ones id found before hand were the laser that comes back to you and the shot that frags into others shots I just haven't found any really use for them honestly especially the laser.( a single shot that does less damage is slower and takes energy? all for some return damage? eww)
c.r

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:39 am »
a bit of an update on the first impressions

1 the scrap deployment module literally lies to you you only get 1 scrap instead of 4 as promised I'm fairly amused by this also the infinite energy enhancement really shouldn't keep out the fact that it makes your skin glass I accidently ended up in super hard mode since I have no energy using equipment.

2 some of the doors are a bit over sensitive not really an issue but annoying at times.

c.r

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »
he's basically talking to him self in the intro

He has many different heads. Maybe, one just likes talking a lot. The others are there to listen.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 06:51:01 pm »

He has many different heads. Maybe, one just likes talking a lot. The others are there to listen.

I can just imagine what happens if they get into arguments of some sort.

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:33:49 pm »
I can just imagine what happens if they get into arguments of some sort.

this (youtube)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:48:32 pm »

I don't see why he would randomly start talking about his backstory to his other conciseness' but I'm going to treat that as a convenience for the player thing really also you know it cant be pleasant for whichever part of his  conciseness' it is that happens to be in control when ever you die.
c.r

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:04:18 am »
Maybe when a new head grows, he has to teach it everything? The other heads must be getting pretty tired of the story by now.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:11:47 am »
Maybe when a new head grows, he has to teach it everything? The other heads must be getting pretty tired of the story by now.
This guy reminds me more and more of http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Bowerick_Wowbagger
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 02:02:29 am »
probably not considering that he's intending to send it into probable certain death.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk