Author Topic: Keyboard vs Controller: Is there a general preference?  (Read 11483 times)

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
Keyboard vs Controller: Is there a general preference?
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:54:13 am »
I've finally got my PS3 Controller mapped and what I've discovered is that the game feels a lot better to play. :)

My main thought at the moment is that keyboard controls are a handicap for the player. Also seeing Misery's Boss videos on hard suggests that using the keyboard (for me) would be an exercise in frustration. Do other testers have a preference?

Would new players enjoy playing with the keyboard past a certain frustration point?

I can see envisage a lot "throw the keyboard at screen" type of disgust relating to the keyboard control. Thinking aloud; maybe the appeal is partly related to overcoming the frustration and gaining more experience with the keyboard as a right of passage?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Keyboard vs Controller: Is there a general preference?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:05:32 am »
I started playing K/M and moved to controller once I found a way to set it up.  I prefer the controller.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:39:40 am »
Keyboard/mouse are typically absolutely bloody terrible for a game of this type, universally.   This just gets worse the more bullets there are.  And anything I touch is going to have alot of bullets. 

I personally cant imagine playing this or anything similar with anything that ISNT a controller.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:36:21 am »
Definitely keyboard and mouse for me.
I tend to be dead multiple floors earlier using the gamepad for some reason (even though I am a wizened console hero - man that hurts).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Rujasu

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:48:20 am »
I tried a gamepad for a little bit, but didn't really like it. I also couldn't really figure out how to aim energy weapons since holding the stick fires primary and prevents use of energy weapons.

Offline Tolc

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:33:07 am »
I tried both K/M and 360 controller and so far I like the controller a bit better.  The controller certainly allows for more precision while dodging diagonally. Playing with a keyboard instead isn't that bad, though.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:23:49 am »
I tend to be dead multiple floors earlier using the gamepad for some reason (even though I am a wizened console hero - man that hurts).

What kind of controller are you using?

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:49:59 pm »

What kind of controller are you using?
XBox360 Wireless - so yeah, it should work better for me I guess - maybe I am just getting old ;).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 01:24:31 pm »
I'm using a Wii U Pro Controller via an adapter. It's super comfy. Tried giving the game a play on KB+M and wasn't happy. Come to think of it, that might be the reason I bounced off of Isaac so hard and really like SR... Hm.

Anyway, whatever's most convenient for the player is the preference. I feel there is a real advantage to using a gamepad, but I'm sure somewhere in the world there are players who'll swear by the keyboard options.

(I also tried playing it via my laptop's trackpad. I, uh, don't recommend it)

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:35:40 pm »
Currently I play with keyboard and mouse.

I have a controller, but I play most PC shmups and platformers with keyboard (and mouse if applicable) if it works decently. I'll usually try them with a controller to see if it works better, but usually I need to get a noticeable "performance benefit" for me to bother getting out the controller for that game after that, and for me that doesn't happen all too often.

Part of it is probably out of habit.
I started playing shmups by playing Touhou games during long waiting times between military-simulation-style ArmA missions. I typically used keyboard because I wouldn't have a gamepad hooked up at the time, so I got used to playing shmups with keyboard and the habit kind of stuck.

Honestly, I think the games my controller gets the most use for are the Dark Souls series, console-style action games like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and driving games like Euro Truck Simulator 2.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:53:17 pm by Professor Paul1290 »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 05:46:56 pm »

That hurts to even think about.

Offline Matruchus

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 05:55:12 pm »
Keyboard and mouse definitely. Tried playing a few games with xbox/pc controller and its so non intuitive that I just thrown it in to the closet and forgot about it.

The old retro consoles controles were the best for me. Or gameboy controler.

But in this game keyboard and mouse work perfectly. The only issue are the small box like openings in the walls where its really painfull to get in with the keyboard.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 08:30:51 pm »

That hurts to even think about.
Not as much as being unable to beat Battleswarm on easy. :V

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 08:57:47 pm »
My keyboard's trackpad works pretty well against Normal. But I'm not generally viewing the game from the player perspective.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 09:37:22 pm »
Well, my partner and I are minimising our belongings while working overseas, so there's no chance of me owning a luxury like a gamepad.

Keyboard and mouse tends to work quite well for standard difficulties. While it's one of the main reasons I can't do pixel perfect movement, I can probably aim much better with the mouse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk