Author Topic: Guardian Gun overpowered?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Amitiel

Guardian Gun overpowered?
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:00:17 am »
I had this as one of my starting choices (on Normal, if that makes any difference) and decided to pick it up. Whilst, as the description indicates, it takes a bit of getting used to, particularly with its fairly short range, it does feel like it's trivialising some aspects of the game. Namely bosses. I originally came up against Tri (spelling might be off - the trio mini-boss) and thought I was just somewhat lucky with how easy a time I had with it. But then I came up against WallMaster and it enabled me to sit on top of it, completely without moving, with my fire button held down like so:

I don't know if it's just me though. Has anyone else played around with it much?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Guardian Gun overpowered?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:16 am »
Wait.... starting choices?  What do you mean by that?  Do you mean items that are appearing in the room you start in?  That shouldnt be happening, if that's the case.

As for the Guardian Gun, I'm not entirely sure what it's intent is.   This type of game being what it is, there are going to be a few items that are meant to be "super items" in that they're incredibly powerful and perhaps even OP; it tends to be a fun thing when games like this do that, particularly since it doesnt REALLY break the game since every run can be so different.

Offline Amitiel

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:15:32 am »
Yes, I had three starting choices in the the room I started in after my third or fourth death and it looked like the most interesting one. It makes more sense if you're supposed to have a chance of it popping up during the game, but it did seem kinda crazy that you could get that from the start.

EDIT: Just had it pop up at the start of another game (hadn't used it the game before). 40AP seems kinda cheap for a "super item".  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:52:46 am by Amitiel »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:19 am »
Yes, I had three starting choices in the the room I started in after my third or fourth death and it looked like the most interesting one. It makes more sense if you're supposed to have a chance of it popping up during the game, but it did seem kinda crazy that you could get that from the start.

EDIT: Just had it pop up at the start of another game (hadn't used it the game before). 40AP seems kinda cheap for a "super item".  :)

Ugh, I see what the problem is.  I keep forgetting that I'm playing a different version than all the testers here.

The AP system is going away with the next build to be replaced with something totally different.  Items should stop appearing  in the starting room at that point.

I *think* Chris said he was going to put out a new version for everyone later today. 

That being said, alot of the item pools are all sorts of screwed up right now.  Such as the bit where weapons and energy weapons are almost all that you find anywhere, that's not supposed to be the case.  But that's not fixed yet in my version.  I'm going to mention that again to them since it needs to get dealt with for the balance to be tested properly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk