Author Topic: Energy system has been removed?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Energy system has been removed?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 11:42:02 am »
I like the new energy system.  The few weapons I tried don't fire fast enough to deplete all your energy, though.  Which kind of makes the whole energy system superfluous.  There are plenty of weapons I haven't used, and some of them might drain faster than it refills.

Maybe there needs to be a couple seconds after you stop firing the secondary weapons before the energy starts to refill.  Longer than the slowest weapon's cooldown.

The Torpedo is the weapon I'm thinking about.  I can just hold down both buttons and never run out of energy.  It was too powerful, really.  Some balance would be introduced if I had to stop using it after 4 shots (since it uses 25e/shot) to wait for the energy to start refilling.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 12:35:58 pm »
Hmmm.... after messing with this new system, I'm not sure I like it too much.

The reason:  Some of these weapons can be *very* powerful.  And if all you have to do is go sit in a corner for a bit before you fire it again, you can exploit the heck out of pretty much all of them.  Even if they take a huge amount of energy to fire.

I was experimenting with doing that very thing, and it is indeed exploitable very easily in most situations.

This also was causing me to not use missiles unless necessary, because they arent needed in combat anymore.

Also absolutely wrecks the damage VS enemy HP balance of the game.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »
Hmmm.... after messing with this new system, I'm not sure I like it too much.

The reason:  Some of these weapons can be *very* powerful.  And if all you have to do is go sit in a corner for a bit before you fire it again, you can exploit the heck out of pretty much all of them.  Even if they take a huge amount of energy to fire.

Even though you're probably completely correct, I will say that one of my funnest moments in the game so far was finding an Incinerator and going crazy with it -- yeah, maybe I just enjoyed being OP for a bit, but it was nice to finally have a cool weapon to use.

Edit: I actually died on floor 2 with the incinerator module so maybe it wasn't that OP......or I'm just bad at the game (probably more likely).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:12:15 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 01:35:05 pm »
I like the new energy system.  The few weapons I tried don't fire fast enough to deplete all your energy, though.  Which kind of makes the whole energy system superfluous.  There are plenty of weapons I haven't used, and some of them might drain faster than it refills.

I've really only played around with two or three, one which I liked was the Deleter, which basically had a pointless energy usage as its own fire rate was slower than the energy drain (25 energy a shot, hit as hard as a missile).  I think firing it as fast as possible did eat all my energy, but it was so slow to fire I'd never just hold down right-click.

The other one was a massive spray of bullets that had a longer range that my main weapon.  That ate through energy in about 8-10 seconds.  That one felt like energy was meaningful.  Once I figured out how to fire missiles so I could destroy the otherwise-unbreakable blocks (and thereby no longer needed the deleter) I was happy picking this one up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk