Author Topic: When will you continue working on Stars Beyond Reach?  (Read 44550 times)

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
When will you continue working on Stars Beyond Reach?
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:32:24 pm »
I know it will probably be a while, with AI War 2 going on and everything, but I would like to know if there is any general idea when it will be continued. Or if it will be continued, though I assume it is going to eventually as on steam it says coming in 2017.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: When will you continue working on Stars Beyond Reach?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:45:20 am »
It's really hard to say, and to some extent that may wind up being up to Keith.  I know we won't be doing any work whatsoever on it this year, thanks to AI War 2.  I won't be surprised if AI War 2 takes up most of Keith's time in some form in 2018, too; right now that's the thing that has people excited and that we actually know how to deliver.

On my end I don't really think I'll be working on SBR again personally, unless enough time passes and I have some sort of brain wave about it.  That said, I have really been entranced by the idea of making a game that is more like the "Stars Beyond Reach: Tales of Woe" series in a direct fashion.  An indirect tethered-to-a-wall citybuilder where you never get much of an overview but instead are ground-level with morons all around you could be amazing if done well, or horrendous if done most ways.  So I'm very wary of that concept, but it's one that interests me a lot more than the original 4X designs at this point.

Keith had his own 4X designs that he was working on for the game, and those were at various stages of acceptability-to-him.  But that's been on hiatus since May 2016 or so, when he had some family growth going on as well as moving house, etc.  I'm not sure how excited he feels about SBR at this point, but I know he was really burned out and I know he's super into AI War 2 right now.  Whether or not there's this a-ha point for him a year or two or three from now when he's suddenly refreshed and interested in it, and the burning flame of excitement for AI War 2 has died down some, I don't know.

There's also always the possibility that we'll work with someone else to take this over and finish it with their own vision.  It would have to be just the right sort of person, though, and Arcen would either have to build up a lot of funds before I'd be willing to risk funding that myself (I've already got like $430k invested into SBR), or the person (or company) would have to do it for some sort of revenue split on the back-end.  It would really take just the right person or company, though, and most such people already have game ideas of their own that they are passionate about.

From a design standpoint, my own interests in terms of strategy games have really drifted a lot to being more focused and deep with fewer mechanics, rather than trying to simulate an entire planet.  My biggest problem with SBR tended to be the just monstrous amounts of information flying at my face at all times, and how that can wind up making you feel more disconnected from things.  I like big games very much, but I also really want to solve the issues in such a way that I retain a personal connection with it.

And right now I'm more excited about VR to be honest, so that's probably me out of the picture on this for another year or two when you combine in my work on AI War 2.

So... long story short, right now we really have No Idea (tm), and no particular plans to resume work anytime soon.  But in an abstract sense we still really like the idea despite our frustrations with it, and obviously we have a lot of money invested into it.  We're all really averse to just plopping into it and pushing out something uninspired, though, and we don't have the funds to go really digging for the last pieces of inspiration needed to tie everything together properly.  It's really a shame, I thought this would be a slam dunk. :/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:54:22 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:05:01 pm »
I know we won't be doing any work whatsoever on it this year, thanks to AI War 2.  I won't be surprised if AI War 2 takes up most of Keith's time in some form in 2017, too; right now that's the thing that has people excited and that we actually know how to deliver.
Isn't this year 2017? But okay, nice to know, though personally I was really excited for the game. Though if I may make a suggestion, perhaps you should change the steam store page to something more accurate if it isn't going to come out in 2017 and might be a few years before it does come out, if ever.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:54:50 pm »
Whoops!  Yeah, time got away from me.  I fixed my comment up there to say 2018 instead!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 07:14:17 pm »
I wonder if it would be possible to label the game as on semi permanent hiatus on the store front.

and to be fair we are only 16 days into 2017 so its close enough for me.

also on a side note since most of the activity here right now is at the aw2 sub forum ill probably be going quiet(er) for a while since I'm not particularly interested in it really
frankly I'm more interested in kleis new game witch ill probably spending a lot of time on when it(probably) goes to early access.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:46:15 am »
What is it they have coming up?

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:46:57 am »
I was just about to ask that, then the site notified me a new reply has been posted while I was reading.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:08:37 pm »
What is it they have coming up?
The last thing I'd heard related to klei would be Oxygen Not Included, so probably that game. It looked neat from the hour of gameplay they had some time ago.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 12:33:41 pm »
Looks cool!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:16 pm »
dammit was going to say exactly that but you beat me.
from what I've heard and what little I've seen of the development stream they did on it (like with invisible ink and ds) I seems like a management game with survival elements in it.
not much else to say about it right now really in till it releases really.

on a side note I saw that your going into vr now which I think for what its worth is a solid idea since that market doesn't have the saturation as the video game market does as a whole plus it means you won't be depending entirely on aw2 to keep the ball rolling.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:32:13 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk