Author Topic: Wait! Keith has nothing more to do according to backlog?!  (Read 14062 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Wait! Keith has nothing more to do according to backlog?!
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »
Does this mean there will new Beta Release today?
Aaaaants ;D!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Wait! Keith has nothing more to do according to backlog?!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:21:26 pm »
Well, there is some stuff on his list regarding a HUD rework.  I also am still working through a number of things, some of which will bleed over into things for him, some not.  I am hoping for the next beta release tomorrow night, knock on wood. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:32:47 pm »
I see. Seems I have to reign in my enthusiasm a bit then ;).
Thanks for the heads-up!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »
You bet. :)

This is taking forever, but I want to be able to give my full attention properly when it is ready to go out the door.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:47:01 pm »
This is taking forever
It is!

but I want to be able to give my full attention properly when it is ready to go out the door.
But this is also a good point. :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:49:11 pm »
There's nothing worse than the feeling of "okay, now they are talking to me a ton, but I still have like a week of stuff left to do!!!"

Offline gnosis

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »
You bet. :)

This is taking forever, but I want to be able to give my full attention properly when it is ready to go out the door.

This is indeed taking forever, but the fullness of time has come, or rather the exhaustion of the budget!

Now that subtractive design is at full swing along with last minute plaster and glue being thrown all over the place, a question: Have you planned any/the expansions yet? 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:02:33 pm »
I'm actually going to be doing a release of this today after all, to the existing beta testers anyhow.  It won't include a way to win the game, but the citybuilding stuff is fully something that can be tested (new HUD aside).  I need to get the tech tree stuff updated, but anyhow.

As far as an expansion, no I have not been planning an expansion yet. ;)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 04:32:32 pm »
does that mean your actually sticking to the release schedule now? I hope so having to push it back again and again([and again and again and again and again) is a bit silly really. ps and yes I understand perfectly why its still silly though
c.r

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 04:40:26 pm »
I'm actually going to be doing a release of this today after all, to the existing beta testers anyhow.  It won't include a way to win the game, but the citybuilding stuff is fully something that can be tested (new HUD aside).  I need to get the tech tree stuff updated, but anyhow.

As far as an expansion, no I have not been planning an expansion yet. ;)
Cool stuff :).
Will the release also ("finally") contain "events in numbers", i.e. will we be able to experience events as you imagine them?
Or is this still further down the road?

The changelog does not give any specifics on new evets having been added (aside from stupidity) or any events going live but the backlog indicates there has been done a bucketload of behind-the-scenes-work done by Keith...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »
On delays: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/519120-a-delayed-game-is-eventually-good-a-bad-game-is

On events: yeah, there's a lot of that sort of thing in this one.  Not as many as I'd like, but maybe 300ish for now.  These are all passive ones; the ones that you actively interact with will be very few in number.  In terms of a specialized interface.  You're interacting with all of them in terms of how you manipulate the game state before and after these passive-style events.  Ultimately there will be a few thousand of those.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »
Well, no release today after all.  I should learn when to keep my mouth shut.  The tech tree was in worse shape than I remembered, and there's some other stuff that I need to do.  I did have another breakthrough, though, so that's good.

Offline steelwing

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:34:15 am »
It'll be ready when it's ready.  For now, I'll occupy myself with Torchlight II. ;)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:03 am »
So wait, is this update you're talking about going to be The Big One of legend that changes a huge ton of everything?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:12 am »
Yeah, I'm hoping for Monday at this point.  I've realized that a variety of things need to be in place for this to really make sense in the end.  This is The Big One That Completes The Game.  Or most of it, anyhow.

There are overall 5 "acts" to the game now, and I want to have at least Act I fully playable in the Monday build.  The rest of the acts playable by the end of next week.  And of course all the various writing content for events, etc, is still being added to madly as we go.  I think there are 600+ of those at this point, and more all the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk