Author Topic: Update on diplomacy stuff (back to the drawing board yet again).  (Read 22467 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Hey guys,

So I've really been wrestling with this stuff.  I've said various stuff about "storylines" lately, and that's all going to die.  It's good that I was focusing on the data creation for that prior to actually trying to get code in place.  There are still some pieces of code that were costly to create that are going to get tossed out (argh!), but mostly not too much of that happens.  And mostly the bulk of the data we've created thus far can get translated over into the new system.

Rather than trying to explain things too much, here's just the main bulk of an email I sent to John, who is working with us as a writer for a lot of things coming up in the game (and he's done an awesome job so far, too, not that any of it is public yet):

Note to John:
-----
I hope you're doing well.  I have to confess I've been in a bit of a panic mode all this week, just at the sheer volume of stuff that I'm trying to cram into this game in the time period that is currently available.  I really can't afford to push the timetable back yet again (for I think what would be the 5th time), as that costs me tens of thousands of dollars each time.

Anyway, this isn't just about your part of the scope -- though your part is related, at core, to what I'm talking about of course.  It's the #$%#$ diplomacy stuff in general.

Some of that comes around to being an issue with things on the art side, or on the coding and design side -- especially the latter two.  There just aren't enough hours in a day, good grief.  To get this thing properly tested, it needs to be pretty much coded within the next two weeks at the latest.

Overall I've just not been very happy with how things are turning out with the storyline stuff in general, from an overall design standpoint: it creates a TON of work for you and I both, and the number of possible variations is still shockingly low.

It also requires the use of this totally-other screen for diplomacy, which I'm not fond of.  During vacation and in the evenings I've been mulling other games, and TerraTech and KeeperRL have been the two most catching my attention lately.  There are good and bad points about both of them.

The thing about TerraTech that has been so interesting to me is how you get the pieces you need in order to build your vehicles and your base: you destroy enemies that spawn somewhat randomly.  So the main point is that there is a RNG that's determining what is available to you at any given time. 

That can be kind of annoying at that game at the moment and is only partly the mechanic because it's in alpha right now.  But the main point, as I take it, is that it's interesting coming across little gems of opportunity or challenge in that world, and then dealing with them in various ways.

More on that in a sec.

Looking at KeeperRL, I love how I kind of get a vague sense of each little guy in my keep.  They take on individual roles and strengths and weaknesses.  I honestly could not care less about equipping them and doing all the other little micromanagement stuff with them that seems incredibly boring.  But they seem to mostly handle that on their own, at least well enough for me to enjoy myself and focus on planning my keep, etc.

Anyhow, what is really cool is that it takes a bunch of guys that are ostensibly the same -- Orc #11, despite the fact that he has a name and a level associated with him, and whatever equipment, he still looks the same on the map -- and makes them feel more individual.  He has feelings of happiness from when I took control of him and murdered a bunch of gnomes.  I have some fondness for him since he actually won where this other guy died, and so I have him in the training room buffing up even more so that he'll be extra awesome later.

That's a very different kind of game from SBR, too, but I've really been looking in a variety of different directions to try to figure out why I'm so unhappy here.

The key pain points that I've come to feel with the current planned approach are:

1. We ONLY ever talk to the leaders of other races, which is clearly limiting in terms of getting any sense of them as real societies.

2. We have to go to this other interface to see what's going on.

3. The arc of the stories has to be really kind of forced and complex.  And that thus requires a huge amount of content before it's functional at all, because more than one playthrough really is going to be an issue.

4. As you've pointed out, the interactivity between multiple races is frustratingly low.

5. Right now, when I run into a monster, it's just a matter of if I fight it or not.  So these are just kind of random things sitting around on the map for me to fight, yawn.

6. There's not a really clear way for me to interact with the planet, either.

7. The whole idea of "doing something with a race to become secure with them" is a challenging thing in general.  It's vague, and gets into "attitude" areas, muddling up the two.  It's going to be an ongoing issue.

8. There is no immediate call to action on the main map itself.  The new approach does create roadblocks for me that make me engage the other races in order to win, which is good; but it's all off on some other screen, which I don't like.  It doesn't feel as integrated as I want.

9. Oh, also: all of this is completely externally-focused, with no interesting stuff going on in your own citizenry at all.  They might as well be robots.

Therefore I find myself searching for a completely other approach, and this is what I've come up with, broadly speaking:

1. You'll win the game based on "removing all instabilities" in the civilizations of other races AND your own.  That will either be based on doing some things to help the various races, or by killing them.

2. There will be no overall diplomacy or trade, per se, in the general "do whatever you want at any time" sense.  That stuff is boring and I hate it in other games anyway.

3. Instead there will be a big focus on "events" at specific types of buildings, for specific races.  These events will be things that are instabilities.  You can resolve them various ways, or not, as you choose.  They might involve monsters, the planet, other races, your own citizens, etc.

4. There will be a system, as-yet TBD, that increases or decreases a "stability meter" for each race as you complete those things or choose not to.  The details there still need to be worked out, but that's basically a matter of scoring more than anything else.  The core thing that is FUN and interesting is the events themselves.

5. Based on the need for events in #3, we'll be able to design those and have a core set fairly quickly.  Within a couple of days I should have enough for a prototype, along with a revised prototype design.  This is KEY, because then testing and whatnot can proceed, and the game moves on.  And your job then shifts away from being something that is a bottleneck to having the game work at all and instead into being something that is enriching something that is already good.  A really REALLY good thing for my peace of mind, and I imagine yours.

6. Based on all of this, this also gives us FAR more flexibility in the sorts of stories that we can tell.  They don't have to be civilization-wide, and they can involve all sorts of different individuals and some unique personalities within each race.  They are also much more singular in nature -- a thing happens and that's that, it's not tied immutably into some larger story arc.  Rather it just becomes part of the meta-narrative that is your unique game playthrough.

I'm going to have a lot of reworking to do based on this.  The short-term message for you is basically: please don't do anything more on the spreadsheet yet, but instead focus on the race personality bible last bits.

I'll then be having more stuff for you by tomorrow night (Thursday night), and we'll go from there.  The overall style of work you'll be doing is the same, but it should be a lot more flexible for you, and the structure of said work will be a lot easier for both of us to manage and digest.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Traveller

• Jr. Member Mark III
Re: Update on diplomacy stuff (back to the drawing board yet again).
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:52 pm »
Okay, that seems really compelling.  Best of luck with the time pressures!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:42:42 pm »
Thank you!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 06:43:55 pm »
This still sounds a bit like King of Dragon Pass, actually. Combine that with "buildings that do things" and it seems like a solid foundation. I really liked buildings with active effects in Sim City 2000, always felt it could do with more.

Not too sure how that "removing instability" victory condition will work in the long run. The Aztecs had a stable society, but did not make good neighbors. In this universe, the Burlursts fighting each other is a good thing, because they're much less likely to be fighting anyone else. Maybe instead of societal stability, you're manipulating how the other civs see you?

Best of luck, Chris!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:45:30 pm by Watashiwa »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:45:04 pm »
Could be, yeah.  "Listen Frank, you owe me.  So you can fight all you want, but not my guys, okay?"

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:59:21 pm »
Could be, yeah.  "Listen Frank, you owe me.  So you can fight all you want, but not my guys, okay?"
Right, exactly. If you go with the interaction system you described, then even when you're dealing with individual stories, you're trying to pick responses that will ingratiate you on the international level. That means shooting and giving chocolate to the Burlurst, behaving with propriety around the Skylaxians, and not interfering with the Evucks.

(This leaves me with the mental image that basic victory is to become the most popular kid on Planet's playground.   :D)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:39 pm »
Haha, that's funny about the popularity contest.  Yeah, I think that makes sense in a certain respect.

I do think that with the Burlusts, some of the "favors" you do for them are things like knocking off rival warlords for the main one, contributing to a really awesome bar fight, etc, etc. ;)

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:10 pm »
Haha, that's funny about the popularity contest.  Yeah, I think that makes sense in a certain respect.

I do think that with the Burlusts, some of the "favors" you do for them are things like knocking off rival warlords for the main one, contributing to a really awesome bar fight, etc, etc. ;)
Why stop at rival warlords? I always assumed that living "peacefully" with the Burlurst would involve killing their eternal dictator to prove yourself.

Actually, I could see that as a quest: build a barracks and have it attack a Burlurstian bar. None of the soldiers return, but the Burlurst assure you that everyone who died is now in Brawlhalla.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:46:46 pm »
OH MY GOODNESS, Brawlhalla is awesome and totally going in the game. :D

Offline steelwing

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:07:30 am »
OH MY GOODNESS, Brawlhalla is awesome and totally going in the game. :D
I totally want to see Brawlhalla referred to in TLF!!  8)

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 08:21:43 am »
What you propose sounds like a variation of this:
https://arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=17368

Main difference being that there would be an heavy focus on events (which I called mini-missions), and based on buildings (rather than a bar per race representing the leader). Each "block" I put on the side bar could represent a "series" of event rather than a leader.

Just in case it brings you ideas in about how to set-up this idea on the main screen rather than on alternate screens =).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:43 am »
Today is the first morning in a while (couple of weeks) where I've woken up feeling excited and really confident about the day -- woohoo!  Nice feeling to have for a change.  This diplomacy process has really been such an unpleasant bear, but definitely such an important thing to tackle, all the same.

Thanks for the link to that particular mantis suggestion -- there are definitely some similarities, yes.

Now back to work for me! :)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:07:48 am »
Today is the first morning in a while (couple of weeks) where I've woken up feeling excited and really confident about the day -- woohoo!  Nice feeling to have for a change.  This diplomacy process has really been such an unpleasant bear, but definitely such an important thing to tackle, all the same.

Thanks for the link to that particular mantis suggestion -- there are definitely some similarities, yes.

Now back to work for me! :)
These are great news :).
Bring it on!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:30 am »
There is nothing more than just getting back to things that I want right now, heh.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:18 am »
FYI, Brawlhalla is the name of a game :) http://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk