Author Topic: Stars Beyond Reach: First Video and Tales of Woe Part 1 of 3  (Read 23771 times)

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
Re: Stars Beyond Reach: First Video and Tales of Woe Part 1 of 3
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 02:26:38 pm »
Cool stuff!  Toby may be in the main game proper, at least some.  Not at the start of beta, but most likely by 1.0.  I have to figure out costs on that, and the right amounts to do to not annoy the player, and write the lines, and so forth.  I don't want people to feel like things are half-voiced, but at the same time I want to not have to voice remotely everything, haha.  So I have to find a balance there.
Are you planning a gated tutorial like TLF? If I recall some of that was voiced, and I don't see the planetmind being particularly helpful in that regard.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 03:08:29 pm »
Cool stuff!  Toby may be in the main game proper, at least some.  Not at the start of beta, but most likely by 1.0.  I have to figure out costs on that, and the right amounts to do to not annoy the player, and write the lines, and so forth.  I don't want people to feel like things are half-voiced, but at the same time I want to not have to voice remotely everything, haha.  So I have to find a balance there.
Are you planning a gated tutorial like TLF? If I recall some of that was voiced, and I don't see the planetmind being particularly helpful in that regard.

I don't think so -- I want to avoid that, at any rate.  I feel like the structure of a 4X naturally lends itself to implicit gating, which is nice.  Having tutorial bits come up at various trigger points would be a thing, though.  In TLF those were not voiced, and I probably could not make them that here, either -- tutorials have a way of needing to change with time.  In TLF all the voice acting was centered around either story or around "this just happened" events with the computer remarking on things.  The computer was speaking to you in the tutorials, yes, but it wasn't voiced -- easy to remember the wrong way around. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline tbrass

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 04:43:50 pm »
Can we have an information blackout until the beta starts? ( :-X )Because I am really struggling with patience right now. Not having these posts & videos dangling in front of me would really help on the "getting work done" front.* 

(I would love to have Toby narrate portions of SBR. Perhaps it would be possible to have an option setting to turn narration off, just like TLF has the 'no tutorial' option? That way experienced players don't get excessive notifications, but can revel in the humor from time to time.)

The computer also reminds me of Alpha Complex's computer from the Paranoia RPG.

*it wouldn't solve the work problem, but Chris, you could always send the red shirts down now and then you could concentrate on coding rather than replying to the ravaging hordes who want more information. . .  :o

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 04:47:35 pm »
Cheers. :)

Cost of getting the voice acting done, and risk of not being able to get it redone if things change, is also one of my factors.  I always try to make sure that the voice acting won't ever become out of date in terms of game mechanics.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Endymion

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 05:04:26 pm »
I think I'd like to be in one of the earlier waves so that I might have something to do by the time I get tired of playing Pillars of Eternity. So a blueshirt would do I guess.
I'm making videogames! You can read more about whatever I'm doing here

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »
I think I'd like to be in one of the earlier waves so that I might have something to do by the time I get tired of playing Pillars of Eternity. So a blueshirt would do I guess.

Blue it is!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:22 pm »
I don't mind either shirt color. You can decide. I think you know what I do, so wherever that fits your plan is fine by me.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 09:29:49 pm »
I don't mind either shirt color. You can decide. I think you know what I do, so wherever that fits your plan is fine by me.

Awesome.  I'm putting you in blue, just because I already have a lot of reds and because what you do is most useful after the first iffy bits are taken care of.  Thanks!

Offline Pizzatiger

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 09:52:26 pm »
*Salute*

Captain sir, Do you still have space for one more spaceman? I got to say , i look rather fabilous in red or blue shirts, I even take purple sir when you start randomly throwing out shirts you accidently colored in the laundry when cleaning the two dirty shitys,  it just that i look HORRIBLE  in purple

. If not i can try throwing some money at the screen when the steam engines start taking those little tourist peoples to the planet
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:00:21 pm by Pizzatiger »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »
*Salute*

Captain sir, Do you still have space for one more spaceman? I got to say , i look rather fabilous in red or blue shirts, I even take purple sir when you start randomly throwing out shirts you accidently colored in the laundry when cleaning the two dirty shitys,  it just that i look HORRIBLE  in purple

. If not i can try throwing some money at the screen when the steam engines start taking those little tourist peoples to the planet

Welcome aboard, crewman!  I've added one to the upcoming order of blue shirts.  I'll ping your comm unit when the supply ship arrives. :)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 04:12:30 pm »
I don't mind either shirt color. You can decide.
Same here.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 04:13:22 pm »
Same here.

Another blue bomber!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 04:22:22 pm »
Same here.

Another blue bomber!
...Super fighting robot? Or Canadian sports team?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:22 pm »
Rockman!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 04:33:05 pm »
Rockman!
Now see I don't keep up with any kind of foreign business, the only blue bomber in my book is MEGAman.

(Note: I am joking. Look at my name and avatar. Also Megaman 4 is the best Megaman)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:37:16 pm by Watashiwa »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk