Author Topic: Spectral Empire Teaser Video  (Read 11205 times)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Spectral Empire Teaser Video
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:46 am »
I can still hear a little breathing in the second trailer, so I gotta ask - is the speaker one who can breathe?

Offline topper

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:57 am »
Ha!  I had not thought of that comparison.  I love that movie, by the way.  My wife and I went a couple of weeks ago, really having no expectations that it would be good but going on the recommendations of... everybody and all the critics.  Wow, this was just awesome.  It reminded us both of Galaxy Quest in some ways.  Really excellent movie.

Yeah, it was one of the few movies I really wanted to see in theaters, and it far exceeded my expectations! I am actually kind of sad that it needs to fit in the Marvel universe, because I think the universe created in that story/movie is interesting enough to stand on its own and even gain near (gasp) Star Wars level respect.

I can still hear a little breathing in the second trailer, so I gotta ask - is the speaker one who can breathe?
Well, if it is the Spectre, I have gathered that that is a planetary intelligence like in SMAC. That does not answer if it needs to breathe, or what that should sound like. Maybe it modifies its own voice to sound either pleasing or terrifying to the various races.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »
*sounds of innocent whistling*
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline wwwhhattt

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 05:05:44 pm »
According to my understanding of disembodied intelligences (learnt from an extensive study of Patrick Troughton's time as Dr. Who (best doctor)) this game will involve fighting robot yetis.

On a seriouser note, do people think that video suggest that all the races are the last of their kind, or that they're all told that when they (crash)land?

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:28:53 am »
I just thought it meant that the player is the last one of his kind.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 08:35:57 am »
I just thought it meant that the player is the last one of his kind.

It was my own mistake, I realize, in how I'm phrasing that line.  I'm going to have to redo that line at some point in the future.  The "you" is plural.  The player is in charge of a group of citizens fleeing... something... and they arrive at this planet as supposedly the last of their kind.

Depending on which race(s) you choose to play as (there is multiplayer), those are the ones that fled and are just arriving, while the other races are more established and have been there for a long time already.  So you're the tiny newcomers, against existing empires.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline wwwhhattt

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 10:16:45 am »
So there's no fixed past or present for the races in the game, it just depends who you start as?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 10:20:50 am »
So there's no fixed past or present for the races in the game, it just depends who you start as?

It depends on even more than who you start as.  There's some history with all of the races that are on the planet that is procedurally generated.  Whoever you start as is starting with a blank slate in terms of landing on the planet new, but the rest of the races there have a history with one another, and that will vary from game to game.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:21 am »
X, have I mentioned the anime "Last Exile" yet?

If I didn't, now I have, and you should watch it.  Especially Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 12:02:04 pm »

It depends on even more than who you start as.  There's some history with all of the races that are on the planet that is procedurally generated.  Whoever you start as is starting with a blank slate in terms of landing on the planet new, but the rest of the races there have a history with one another, and that will vary from game to game.

I am rather excited about this, it may be obvious, or perhaps I am seeing something more than is there, but if the race history is randomized with each game, depending on which race the player selects, then thait  could mean that treaties, or wars, or embargo's, or alliances or even the percent of buildup, or strength of a given race will be different. Even perhaps the type of focus of the race will be different for each race for each game... ie, agricultural in one game, military expansion in the second game, or trade focus in the third game, etc, etc... (these for the non-chosen race of course, as the player will decide the direction of the race they choose?

Or maybe I've got it all wrong, I was just thinking what if the races were aligned in a specific way, and they play that way through each game, and it is the player deciding which 'approach' they will try that changes how the game plays out?

anyway, I thought I had it, but maybe I am guessing wrong, anyway, just a thought.
-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 12:18:23 pm »

If I didn't, now I have, and you should watch it.  Especially Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing.

Cool!  Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:13 pm »

Cool!  Thanks for the recommendation.

The two series are related, Fam comes second (by like 20 years).  I don't think you'd "miss" much by watching them out of order.  Two different settings, two different set of characters...there's only one character who shows up in both and he's minor in Fam.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:37 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the added context -- that always helps.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 02:29:49 pm »
The universe isn't explained very well across both series anyway,* so don't worry about it: no matter what I say, it will both be spoilery and insufficient.  Just watch, enjoy, and look it up on Wikipedia afterwards.

*There's a mineral that when mixed with water and heated it generates lift.  It isn't explained how, at all.  Or even that it does, just that the aircraft (vanships) in the series don't have wings, just these radiator vanes.  So expect that level of explanation about basic things like geography.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk