Author Topic: Is there an exact release date yet?  (Read 36587 times)

Offline Pyrobow

Is there an exact release date yet?
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:54:26 am »
I only ask because everywhere I look it says march 2016 but there is little else on how development is going.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Is there an exact release date yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:36:55 pm »
Sorry about that!  I went in and corrected that to, for now, say June 2016.  Right now we're still reevaluating whether or not the game is possible at all to do in a fun way.  The approach that I was taking was fun but not fun enough to satisfy what we wanted to have happen. 

Right now Keith is going through a number of prototypes with a few very core alpha testers, and if we land on something that seems promising enough then that will be developed out further. 

How long that will take to complete will depend on what the prototype that works is, and so on.  There's also the possibility that we won't find a prototype that is sufficiently fun to pursue.  Which would be an enormous bummer for a whole lot of reasons, and that's putting it mildly.  But we're really trying to make sure that we do this in such a way that it's something we can be proud of, and not something that we just push out as "good enough."
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pyrobow

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »
Thanks for the info. I really hope you are able to make this game work.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:43:39 pm »
Sure thing -- and I appreciate it!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:45:14 pm »
0_0 yikes the idea of you simply not finishing stars never occurred to me still I'm glad keiths on this since he seems to(at least gathering form our last barney) a good idea of what he wants to do no offence but when it was being developed before you kept changing your mind over and over again and now while that's great and if there was more time and funding available I'm sure you'd be able to find a super duper masterpiece eventually but obviously you simply don't.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »
I wouldn't say that I was changing my mind over and over again.  That implies going back and forth between the same thing over and over again.  What I was doing was iterating on an initial prototype that had promise, but never really was living up to what I wanted.  Every so often after a certain amount of iterating, I'd drop some major components of the then-current iteration and proceed with a much-revised prototype that then went through many iterations itself. 

I got the general feeling of forward movement and felt like other people had that sense as well (though perhaps that was in my head).  However, it also felt like movement toward my ultimate goal was slowing down toward the end, and I couldn't think of any other major changes that would really get it substantially closer.  And it wasn't close enough.

It's the nature of research and development, when you're doing something new.  At this point we have a bunch of knowledge on what did and didn't work and why, and hopefully Keith can make something out of that plus his own ideas.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:09 pm »
I wouldn't say that I was changing my mind over and over again.  That implies going back and forth between the same thing over and over again.  What I was doing was iterating on an initial prototype that had promise, but never really was living up to what I wanted.  Every so often after a certain amount of iterating, I'd drop some major components of the then-current iteration and proceed with a much-revised prototype that then went through many iterations itself. 

I got the general feeling of forward movement and felt like other people had that sense as well (though perhaps that was in my head).  However, it also felt like movement toward my ultimate goal was slowing down toward the end, and I couldn't think of any other major changes that would really get it substantially closer.  And it wasn't close enough.

It's the nature of research and development, when you're doing something new.  At this point we have a bunch of knowledge on what did and didn't work and why, and hopefully Keith can make something out of that plus his own ideas.
fair enough I never really got to bothered about during testing(apart from the occasional worrying) since at the time I was un aware of the financial issue but though I look forward to seeing what Keith does with the game and that it achieves its full potential.
c.r

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 06:30:55 am »
I got the general feeling of forward movement and felt like other people had that sense as well (though perhaps that was in my head).
It was forward. Well, at least in two heads.

Nha, seriously, being a redshirt of the first days, I can assure you it was moving forward. Forward what, I can't tell :P but it was definitely improving with each step.

with a few very core alpha testers
Whoa. That sounds like a privilege. I wish I'll be an Arcen's "core" something, one day. Debating game mechanism on a project like that should be something! Both daunting and exciting, I guess.

Well, enough child-dreaming. I hope you "core" guys manage to keep it up in these dire times. I'm looking forward to see the result of this work.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 02:57:14 pm »
It's mainly a matter of some people that Keith personally knows really well at this point and that he knows are most likely to share his vision to some extent... but also be willing to respectfully stomp it to death if it isn't living up to what he and they would want.  For that sort of thing it's mainly a matter of personal comfort I suppose, and also really not wanting too many people at an early stage.  Honestly I've not even seen it except one passing glance super duper early in that process.

Offline donblas

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »
Yeah if it graduates to the point us red-shirt "plebs" can test things, please at post here (or the beta forum).

I found the game interesting, but not captivating, last iteration. Optimizing building placement, handling tech tree, and dealing with an ever growing society was fun. Interactions with the other races not so much (felt like solitaire).

I have still have hope it can be made awesome.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 03:03:36 pm »
Cheers, we will definitely post here a lot if it's coming into the promising territory.  I'm with you in terms of how I was feeling about it last iteration.  Interesting but not captivating.  Hard to say that about one's own work without emotion, but now I'm two projects away from it so that is easier.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
yes please do its really weird for me thinking that a game I tested for so long is changing without having a clue really how.
c.r

Offline Jabberwok

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 01:11:19 am »
Please please please release this game. SR is great, and I'm excited about the raptor game, but every time I see those beautiful hex grid screenshots, a little orgasmic jolt reminds me how amazing this could be.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 08:39:48 am »
Fingers, fingers crossed...  :-[

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 10:03:53 am »
I'm still fascinated about how this game plays. I'm probably one of few who have not tested it yet ^^
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk