Author Topic: Is there an exact release date yet?  (Read 36583 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Is there an exact release date yet?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 10:38:11 am »
Cheers, I appreciate it.  And that's CV of Failures is absolutely awesome.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Jabberwok

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:40 pm »
I haven't played it, of course, but from the screenshots, SBR seems to be the best-looking game you guys have made. [Starward Rogue also seemed to be a step in the right direction, visually.] And a hex-based 4X strategy game just feels like it would really play to Arcen's strengths. I hope you guys are able to release it.

Offline Matruchus

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 03:36:40 am »
Its a long time since there was an update on this so I'm wondering if this game is going to happen? I'm thrilled about the upcoming Ai War 2 but still would love to see this too. Still my most wanted game from 2015 and 2016 8)

Offline wwwhhattt

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 06:12:52 am »
From what I understand (which might be totally wrong) someone is still working on it, but nobody knows when/if it will be finished.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 09:01:54 am »
Keith has been working on this, but at the moment it's going to be on hold for AI War 2.  It's not ideal, but the other is closer to done in some respects.  Conceptually with AI War 2 we have a model that works (AI War 1), and that's already a huge leap ahead of this one. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Steelpoint

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 09:13:16 am »
I've been quite interested in this game for a very long time, way back when it was first announced. Either way I'm confident it'll come out eventually, with my only perpetual disappointment being there being no Human faction, but I say that for any game.

What I find more surprising is the statement above that AI War 2/Remaster/Insert Title is more ahead of Stars Beyond Reach, even if just conceptually.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 09:23:47 am »
What I find more surprising is the statement above that AI War 2/Remaster/Insert Title is more ahead of Stars Beyond Reach, even if just conceptually.

The reason there is that we've had to reinvent SBR so many times that we keep burning it to the ground and building it back up.  Like the town of Berk: "It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new."

We've been struggling to find the core fun gameplay loop in SBR, and that's why it has taken so long.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 09:51:03 am »

The reason there is that we've had to reinvent SBR so many times that we keep burning it to the ground and building it back up.  Like the town of Berk: "It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new."

We've been struggling to find the core fun gameplay loop in SBR, and that's why it has taken so long.

If SBR is on hold aka "dead" anyway, then why not just release what you got here on the forum to get some proper feedback and conceptual discussion going? As long as you are prepared for us to rip it apart that is. (We got plenty of 4x fanatics here, me included)

I feel like if you let this slink behind AI War 2 it will never release, and that would be a huge shame.

Doubt you would go for it, but it is worth a try to ask...
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2016, 10:01:37 am »
You're assuming that we want feedback right now, which we do not.  ;D

1. If we were to solicit feedback on a game that we don't have any intention of working on anytime soon, then we either ignore your feedback or get sucked into long discussions that have literally no point in the short-term but which eat up valuable man-hours.

2. If we were to solicit feedback and actually intend to do something based on it, then that wouldn't be delaying SBR at all, that would just be plunging ahead. ;)

3. In general that also assumes that the game is in a feedback-ready state, which it is presently not.  Keith has been working with a few forum folks (ptarth is one) to build a completely new game in the bombed-out shell of what mine was.  In order for you to make meaningful feedback, there has to be a certain amount of clarity and content there.  He's been developing out some bits that seem promising, but they are not ready to be shown in general yet.

4. In a very broad sense, we need to focus in order to get things done.  So having in-depth discussions (or even reading in-depth discussions) of a game we're not working on is a big distraction from a game we are working on.

5. I am pretty sure that SBR will see its day in the sun, but either way that won't be affected by AI War 2.  I don't think about time quite like you seem to imply.  The distance from a project doesn't affect the likelihood of my doing it.  Perhaps this is a bad example considering how poorly Shattered Haven was recieved, but that was a game I spent almost a year on in 2008 (before AI War 1), and then came back and happily finished in 2013.  I would rather have a good version of SBR in 2017, 2018 or even 2019 rather than a half-baked version in 2016.

6. Either way there is no real incentive for me to just throw it away completely, because I have an enormous financial investment in it.  I don't wish to mess with the quality of that game for short-term gains in exchange for long-term quality or whatever, though.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 10:26:11 am »
Many of us here on the forum have a problem-solving focus, which means that if we see something wrong/inefficient/not quite right, we want to fix it (Go team!). However, in this case, it isn't isolated mechanisms need adjustment, it is that entire systems, and everything they impact, are being swapped out. This leads to problems in communication, because the bandwidth to discuss these problems is huge and problems in parsing as that volume of incoming and outgoing communication has to be parsed. To extend the analogy, we have a massive 2 core processor (that doesn't hyperthread) and a 2400 baud modem. Hooking this bad boy up to wikipedia and trying to download it all, sounds like a great idea, but...

Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 12:09:37 pm »
That is an extremely apt analogy. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk